Why the NL needs to get rid of the DH.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Because winning championships is more important than tradition and the NL clubs suffer by not being able to attract a player to their roster who can hit a ton, but can't field.

AL teams will have that extra 'edge' by being able to have a bad fielding slugger on their roster......the NL is behind the 8 ball and its not really fair to the fans of those teams from a winning the world series standpoint and the entertainment standpoint. Who the heck wants to see some bad pitcher taking 11% of all the at bats in the game and up there to bunt with men on base.

Re: Why the NL needs to get rid of the DH.

180 FK.

I believe the American League should end this long national nightmare by dropping their experiment.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

180 FK.

I believe the American League should end this long national nightmare by dropping their experiment.

this rarely happens but i agree with Jimmy

FK - you need to stop sounding like the CLOWN who has taken over for his father for The Evil Empire

Journeyman

EOG Master

I do believe not having the DH is costing the NL.

Being from the AL, I side with the DH but only because i'm use to it and can certainly understand from a purist side to scrap it.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

This is entertainment guys, and to me, i'd rather see a beefed up bad fielder than a skinny pitcher trying to bunt a man on first base over to 2nd base with 1 already out.

If you want to get rid of the DH in the AL, than fine...i just think that its not fair to the NL fans and teams to not be able to recruit a certain type of player that the AL CAN recruit.

Journeyman

EOG Master

If you want to get rid of the DH in the AL, than fine...i just think that its not fair to the NL fans and teams to not be able to recruit a certain type of player that the AL CAN recruit.

This is a great point.

Sorry guys but it's synthetic baseball.

Baseball through the decades and through 1972 was rather popular. There have been some very good hitting pitchers through the years. Some at least as good as a light hitting shortstop or second baseman.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Baseball through the decades and through 1972 was rather popular. There have been some very good hitting pitchers through the years. Some at least as good as a light hitting shortstop or second baseman.

Either or. Just level the playing field. The AL shouldn't get to hoard all these big boppers who can't play the field. If Manny Ramirez was in the NL, he would have to play the outfield in every game. As it stands, he can DH on occasion and rest his body and be fresher than an NL slugger, who has to play every game in the field. the games the great player gets to rest his body from playing the field keeps him fresher for the postseason.

Well I agree with ya FK.

Through the years I've heard that the National League would never budge. I think the junior circuit would have to drop the rule.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The NL needs to change because they are the ones who are screwing themselves. The AL could care less, they're reaping the benefits of being able to attract the 40 homerun player who's 35 years old who has borderline defensive skills. That guy doesn't exist in the NL.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

The NL needs to change because they are the ones who are screwing themselves. The AL could care less, they're reaping the benefits of being able to attract the 40 homerun player who's 35 years old who has borderline defensive skills. That guy doesn't exist in the NL.

except when the AL team plays at an NL park and David Ortiz either has to play the field - or sit, although recent WS results say otherwise

AL baseball is bastardized ball and not real ball unlike the NL where strategy is needed to win games

Baseball fucking blows and adding a .150 hitter in place of a .300 hitter won't solve anything.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

except when the AL team plays at an NL park and David Ortiz either has to play the field - or sit, although recent WS results say otherwise

AL baseball is bastardized ball and not real ball unlike the NL where strategy is needed to win games

yeah, but still, the point being that when the NL team gets to use the DH in the AL park, who the hell are they going to use as the DH? The disadvantage is in actually not having an AL DH-Type player on the roster to begin with.

If David Ortiz was on the Stl Cardinals in the world series and couldn't play the field, he'd still get one at bat late in the game in a crucial situation..where as the NL team doesn't even get to have a guy who's that good to begin with.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

Whether you like the DH or not, it is totally absurd to have one league that uses it and one that does not.

I am a long-time NL fan, and initially found the DH rule abhorent. But once you get use to seeing it in action, it really does make the game more interesting.

The fact that Bud Selig doesn't jump in and make the rules uniform for the good of the game is ludicrous.

My feeling is that the DH is a stupid rule and should be done away with. Pitchers, just like QB's in the NFL, should not be a "protected" class.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1285390 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Jimmy Hoffa<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1285390", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1285390 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Why the NL needs to get rid of the DH.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sorry guys but it's synthetic baseball.

Baseball through the decades and through 1972 was rather popular. There have been some very good hitting pitchers through the years. Some at least as good as a light hitting shortstop or second baseman
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

College football through the decades and into the early 60's was rather popular too. There were a lot of great all-around football players who played offense and defense in the traditional one-platoon system.

Sorry guys, but this two platoon stuff is synthetic football.

Do you want to go back to that just because it was traditional?

ouch

EOG Dedicated

The DH is such a stupid rule that everybody who plays baseball in the entire country at any level has adopted it. Except the National League.

And as I said, I am a National League fan.

<table class="tborder" id="post1285390" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175"><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Jimmy Hoffa<!-- google_ad_section_end --><script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1285390", true); </script>

</td><td class="alt1" id="td_post_1285390" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(43, 41, 94);"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Why the NL needs to get rid of the DH.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<hr style="color: rgb(43, 41, 94);" size="1"><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sorry guys but it's synthetic baseball.

Baseball through the decades and through 1972 was rather popular. There have been some very good hitting pitchers through the years. Some at least as good as a light hitting shortstop or second baseman
</td></tr></tbody></table>

College football through the decades and into the early 60's was rather popular too. There were a lot of great all-around football players who played offense and defense in the traditional one-platoon system.

Sorry guys, but this two platoon stuff is synthetic football.

Do you want to go back to that just because it was traditional?

Players lining up to play both offense and defense was never a RULE. It was a system often drafted out of need because of lack of players and to keep the best players on the field for the most time.

The DH, IMHO, is nothing more than a gimmick. If a pitcher is a player, then he should have to swing the bat and players like David Ortiz should have to get their rather impressive girth on the field and play a position.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

Road Dawg,

Check your history. It was a RULE in NCAA football between 1952 and 1964 that provided for very limited substitution. Prior to 1952, many colleges employed it for the reason you stated; because they wanted their best athletes on the field all the time.

Football traditionalists from the first 60 years of the century considered two platoon football a gimmack. If a quarterback is a football player, why can't he be expected to tackle somebody while also playing defense. (That was their argument, not mine.)

Tradition is a funny thing that cuts both ways. All I am saying is make it the same in both leagues.

Road Dawg,

Check your history. It was a RULE in NCAA football between 1952 and 1964 that provided for very limited substitution. Prior to 1952, many colleges employed it for the reason you stated; because they wanted their best athletes on the field all the time.

Not sure you are 100% correct on this so I did a search and came up with this. Take it with as much salt as you wish.

"The NCAA did not rquireplayers to play both offense and defense - first there was no rule that stated players had to play both (the substitution rule made it a practice) second the NCAA was not in existence at the time of these rules. It was about 1882 when a team could finish with 11 players (replacements were allowed). In 1876 there were provisions for a substitute but if a player was injured or ejected the team could not replace him.

1869--Each team consisted of 25 players.
1873--20 players to a team.
1876--15 players to a team.
1880--11 players to a team.
1910--Seven players required on line.

SUBSTITUTION RULES:

1876--Fifteen players to a team and limited substitutions if any.
1882--Replacements for disqualified or injured players.
1897--Substitutes may enter game at any time at discretion of captains.
1922--Players withdrawn during the first half may not return until the second half. Players withdrawn during the second half may not return to the game.
1941--Players may substitute at any time but may not be withdrawn or the outgoing player returned until at least one play has intervened.

1948--Unlimited substitution on change of team possession. ["Platoon" football made possible. Something learned from WWII]
1953--Two-platoon abolished and players allowed to enter game only once in each quarter
1954-64--Changes each year toward more liberalized substitution and platoon football.
1965--Platoon football returns. Unlimited substitutions between periods and after a score.
1974--Substitutes must be in for one play and replaced players out for one play.
1993--Players who are bleeding or whose uniforms are saturated with blood must come out of the game until their return has been approved by medical personnel.

There were additional substitution rules but they do not apply to your question. They pertain to how substitutes and players enter the game/huddle and how they leave so as to avoid an intent to deceive."

Hope this helps.
Victor Winnek
NCAA Football Official

Football traditionalists from the first 60 years of the century considered two platoon football a gimmack. If a quarterback is a football player, why can't he be expected to tackle somebody while also playing defense. (That was their argument, not mine.)

Tradition is a funny thing that cuts both ways. All I am saying is make it the same in both leagues.

I also think that comparing football and baseball isn't the best way to debate the pros and cons of the DH.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I don't like the DH. With having a pitcher bat brings in more strategy for the manager in a tight ball game whether to keep the pitcher in to bat or to bring on a pinch hitter and take that gamble. I like the NL game better.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The AMERICAN LEAGUE IS DOMINATATING THIS EVENT!

Until the National League gets with the program, they will continue to be the lessor league, not having the DH hurts the National League in more ways than one.

If Boston wins tonight, and there's no reason to think anything else...this will be the longest run in WS history of lopsided one way world series' (a 16-1 game streak) there have never been 3 sweeps ina 4 year span, last yrs series was 4-1.

The AL is on a 16-8 streak in the past 24 WS, most of the NL wins over the past two decades have been flukes on top of it. The Yankees being stunned in 7 games vs Arizona, Florida stunning NY, both minor miracles.

The Giants probably should have beaten Anaheim, same as Cleveland should have beaten Florida both were stunning comebacks and great series'...The last time the National League should have won the World Series was probably 1982 , when STL slipped by a very good Milwaukee team....

Okay, a slight exaggeration but not by much.....the National League loses a lot by not having a DH in many many ways, throw in now that the All Star game gives home field to the games winner is just making the no DH much worse, the NL must go away and play the first two in the AL park and face a team with a DH...the NL teams just don't have a 30 home run guy coming offf their benches.

American League Domination , Again!

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The AMERICAN LEAGUE IS DOMINATATING THIS EVENT!

Until the National League gets with the program, they will continue to be the lessor league, not having the DH hurts the National League in more ways than one.

If Boston wins tonight, and there's no reason to think anything else...this will be the longest run in WS history of lopsided one way world series' (a 16-1 game streak) there have never been 3 sweeps ina 4 year span, last yrs series was 4-1.

The AL is on a 16-8 streak in the past 24 WS, most of the NL wins over the past two decades have been flukes on top of it. The Yankees being stunned in 7 games vs Arizona, Florida stunning NY, both minor miracles.

The Giants probably should have beaten Anaheim, same as Cleveland should have beaten Florida both were stunning comebacks and great series'...The last time the National League should have won the World Series was probably 1982 , when STL slipped by a very good Milwaukee team....

Okay, a slight exaggeration but not by much.....the National League loses a lot by not having a DH in many many ways, throw in now that the All Star game gives home field to the games winner is just making the no DH much worse, the NL must go away and play the first two in the AL park and face a team with a DH...the NL teams just don't have a 30 home run guy coming offf their benches.

American League Domination , Again!

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

NL can keep their nonDH tradition and keep getting their asses beat and keep getting swept in embarrassing fashion in the World Series.