That drunk driver in Ohio, who wiped out that family got 43 years today.

Journeyman

EOG Master
This was big news late last year.

TOLEDO, Ohio - A Michigan man was convicted yesterday of driving the wrong way on an interstate and slamming his pickup truck into a minivan, killing a Baltimore County mother and four children who were returning home from a Christmas trip.

Michael Gagnon pleaded no contest to five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and two counts of aggravated vehicular assault. A Lucas County, Ohio, judge found him guilty.

Police said his blood-alcohol level was more than double the legal limit, and assistant prosecutor Jeff Lingo said yesterday that tests also showed Gagnon had marijuana in his system.

43 years!

Re: That drunk driver in Ohio, who wiped out that family got 43 years today.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm not seeing a lot of remourse in those eyes.....
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Journeyman

EOG Master

He looked a little different in court today.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A Michigan man was sentenced to 43 years in prison Friday for driving the wrong way on an interstate and slamming his pickup truck into a minivan, killing a Maryland mother and four children who were returning home from a Christmas trip. Michael Gagnon of Adrian, Mich., had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit and marijuana in his system, authorities said.

Lucas County Judge Linda Jennings called Gagnon a dangerous person. "You have a drinking problem and you don't even know it," she said.

Gagnon, 24, had pleaded no contest to five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and two counts of aggravated vehicular assault.

"In my mind and spirit, I will be serving a life sentence for the pain I've caused," Gagnon said Friday, reading from a handwritten statement in court.

He won't be eligible for release until he reaches his mid-60s.

Gagnon was drinking with family at a bar on Dec. 30 to celebrate the New Year when he went out for fast food and took a wrong turn onto Interstate 280 in Toledo, investigators said.

He drove about four miles in the wrong direction and just missed several other cars before his truck hit the minivan filled with six children and a husband and wife who had spent Christmas with family in Michigan, authorities said.

The minivan was rounding a curve when the truck came directly at the family. Both drivers tried to avoid each other, but the crash ripped open one side of the van, hurtling some of the victims into the road and scattering toys, stuffed animals and bits of gift wrap.

Bethany Griffin, 36, of Parkville, Md., and three of her daughters — Vadi Griffin, 2 months; Lacie Burkman, 7; and Haley Burkman, 10 — died in the crash along with Jordan Griffin, 10, the daughter of Bethany Griffin's husband, Danny Griffin Jr., 36.

Danny Griffin, who was driving the van, was injured.

Griffin told the court that his life will never be the same and that he no longer comes home to a house filled with children and a smiling wife.

He said he misses helping the kids with their homework and tucking them into bed at night.

"I know my life isn't over, but a large part is missing," he said.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) ? A Michigan man was sentenced to 43 years in prison Friday for driving the wrong way on an interstate and slamming his pickup truck into a minivan, killing a Maryland mother and four children who were returning home from a Christmas trip. Michael Gagnon of Adrian, Mich., had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit and marijuana in his system, authorities said.

Lucas County Judge Linda Jennings called Gagnon a dangerous person. "You have a drinking problem and you don't even know it," she said.

Gagnon, 24, had pleaded no contest to five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and two counts of aggravated vehicular assault.

"In my mind and spirit, I will be serving a life sentence for the pain I've caused," Gagnon said Friday, reading from a handwritten statement in court.

He won't be eligible for release until he reaches his mid-60s.

Gagnon was drinking with family at a bar on Dec. 30 to celebrate the New Year when he went out for fast food and took a wrong turn onto Interstate 280 in Toledo, investigators said.

He drove about four miles in the wrong direction and just missed several other cars before his truck hit the minivan filled with six children and a husband and wife who had spent Christmas with family in Michigan, authorities said.

The minivan was rounding a curve when the truck came directly at the family. Both drivers tried to avoid each other, but the crash ripped open one side of the van, hurtling some of the victims into the road and scattering toys, stuffed animals and bits of gift wrap.

Bethany Griffin, 36, of Parkville, Md., and three of her daughters ? Vadi Griffin, 2 months; Lacie Burkman, 7; and Haley Burkman, 10 ? died in the crash along with Jordan Griffin, 10, the daughter of Bethany Griffin's husband, Danny Griffin Jr., 36.

Danny Griffin, who was driving the van, was injured.

Griffin told the court that his life will never be the same and that he no longer comes home to a house filled with children and a smiling wife.

He said he misses helping the kids with their homework and tucking them into bed at night.

"I know my life isn't over, but a large part is missing," he said.

fuck, I didn't realize this was my hometown......

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

That's a harsh sentence.

Not sure it isn't justified however.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I thought you posted about this last winter, must have been AA.

Yeah this was huge news when it happened, it can't get any sadder.

Journeyman

EOG Master

That's a harsh sentence.

Not sure it isn't justified however.

It is harsh and just proves one stupid mistake can cost you and others their lives . one instant chaned so much for so many.

I thought you posted about this last winter, must have been AA.

Yeah this was huge news when it happened, it can't get any sadder.

I may have J, just don't recall. Man this family is fucked, as is this tool....

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The legal age to drink should be 25, not 21.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Dude killed 5 people. Seems light to me.

There is a big difference between an accident and premediated. This doesn't seem premediated to me...but, i don't know the case, so maybe they determined he did it on purpose?

You get behind the wheel of a vehicle with a BAC twice the legal limit and the accident theory goes out the window.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I would have never guessed 43 years...but I can understand the sentence.

You can't replace what this guy did, to 5 people, death sentences!

I am guessing the amount of deaths makes the sentence higher? Not sure how that works, or how do you say a guy killing just one person in the same fashion gets off with like 8 years?

tough all the way around.

Hulk Hogan's kid got 8 months for turning his passenger into a vegetable.

This 43-years guy needs to get a more high-profile father,

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

But my point is that he didn't get in his car and say to himself, "i think i'll go out and kill a few people"

Usually our legal system differentiates between premediated and not premediated.

But my point is that he didn't get in his car and say to himself, "i think i'll go out and kill a few people"

Usually our legal system differentiates between premediated and not premediated.

I think they did. He ended 5 lives and only got 8+ years per human being. Seems cheap.

Journeyman

EOG Master

good point Jeff

How is one any different?

The Hogan accident gets a small fraction of this 43 year sentence.

1 vegetable = 8 mos
5 dead =43 years

?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I think they did. He ended 5 lives and only got 8+ years per human being. Seems cheap.

I guess they go on the amount of people who died and not the 'intent' of the crime.

I gotta start watching CourtTV more often and learn these things.

Journeyman

EOG Master

You think he wore the suit hoping to get a lessor sentence?

I still have a tiny part of me that feels sorry for this guy...of course it wasn't my family who died and that would all change if it were the case.

He faced 50 years and received 43, I'm wondering what his lawyers were telling him his chances were?

What his likely sentence would be etc? 43 years at age 25, is basically a death sentence IMO.

Terrible tragedy all the way around.

In my opinion this sentence was way too harsh.

He wasn't a violent criminal. He was just an irresponsible idiot.

12 years seems about right to me.

And I realize what he did. I have a wife and two young daughters of my own.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

I have no problem with the sentence and with parole, he'll be out in 20 years or so.

I do have to wonder why the hell he stuck around. If I'm facing 50 years and I pay bail (I assume he did), my ass is in Zimbabwee

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Dont do it. It's far far cheaper take a cab home...

Sean

The Devil

EOG Master

DRIVE DRUNK AND YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES OF FOLLOWING UP IN THIS KIDS FOOTSTEPS..............DON'T THINK YOU ARE IMMUNE, THAT THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN TO ME..............

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Wonder if being from Michigan costed him a few years!!!

I have no problem with the sentence, but I do have to wonder about this guy fucking up and Clarett running after people with a car full of guns and getting 3 years... Who would you rather have back out of prison soon?

All this said, there is a hell of a difference between having a few beers and driving home and driving so drunk you don't know you are heading down a highway into oncoming traffic!!!

Best solution is a taxi.

If god forbid you have to drive drunk, dont use a highway. Drive the backroads and keep the spedometer at 25. You won't get pulled over and if you do hit someone (Hard at 25 since they have time to react) you wont kill anyone.

Good luck.

Sean

Journeyman

EOG Master

I have no problem with the sentence and with parole, he'll be out in 20 years or so.

I do have to wonder why the hell he stuck around. If I'm facing 50 years and I pay bail (I assume he did), my ass is in Zimbabwee

Drinking and driving is just plain stupid. Dont do it. It's far far cheaper take a cab home...

Sean

He has no chance for parole til he is in his mid 60s

Journeyman

EOG Master

No possibilty for parole.

Not eligible for parole
Gagnon was sentenced to seven years in prison on each of five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide and to four years in prison on each of two counts of aggravated vehicular assault.

Judge Linda Jennings ordered the sentences to be served consecutively. Gagnon is not eligible for parole.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

In my opinion this sentence was way too harsh.

He wasn't a violent criminal. He was just an irresponsible idiot.

12 years seems about right to me.

And I realize what he did. I have a wife and two young daughters of my own.

Sorry I agree with many others - it wasn't harsh enough. What SHOULD have happened was he should have been put behind the wheel of a car and made to get in it w/o his seat belt. he then should have been made to drive one way on the free/highway at about 70+ MPH. he then should have had a remote driven car come AT HIM going about 90 and ram him HEAD ON and then whatever happened....happened. if he survives - nothing more should be done to him. if (and more like WHEN) he was killed - we are EVEN

This guy should have been taken out back and had a bullet stuck in his head and his life ended. he had no thought for human life when he did what he did and it's about time people who drive drunk like this pay a heavy "fine". what he did was beyond awful and 43 years is too light. he should have gotten LIFE and if we are lucky he will DIE in prison

Imagine that..... the Winkster and I see it the same way. 91023i2ndw;l