Baseball handicapping 101. Ten theories to get YOU the cash.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
I have a few handicapping theories on MLB, i'll run them up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

1) Consider being really careful betting on a heavy favorite. There's so much parity in this league, that there is really no reason to be wagering on -180 or -200

2) Consider fading 'name' pitchers, especially when the name pitcher's team isnt as good as the other guys team. Don't forget that if a brand name pitcher is on the hill vs a generic brand, that generic pitcher, on quite a few occasions, will raise his game to a much higher level. He'll be able to bring is A game. Know your pitcher and know if your guy is a 'gamer'. That 'gamer' guy who isnt' as good as the elite guy, can surprise you in that situation.
Betting on 'name' pitchers means that you aren't getting the best of it from a value standpoint. Go with the young, talented guy who no one has heard of. Invent your own Johan Santana and find him before everyone else does.

3) Consider staying away from pitchers who miss time and probably 'need a start', especially if they are brand name guys. Dice K comes to mind as a guy who needed a start...when a guy misses time, if he comes back as the favorite, say to yourself, "i'd like to see one"

4) Consider betting on a back class pitcher who had a bad game in his last start if that pitcher had been otherwise pitching well and just had a bad game for no particular reason. If a guy with a hundred lifetime wins or more (or, an established quality pitcher) has a bad game but otherwise had been sharp, that guy is really likely to come back strong. Guys don't win tons of games in the bigs if they have no heart......you can bet that guy who had a bad outing can't wait to get back on the hill and redeem himself.

5) Consider betting against a team who is coming home after a long road trip.

6) Consider not betting on or against a team because they are 'due' to either win or lose. Anyone who's been betting on teams who have lost the first 2 games of their series has been getting crushed recently as there have been tons of sweeps. No one is due to do anything, teams lose games because they aren't playing good enough to win and losing 2 in row doesn't mean they are due to win game 3 of the series. Just be careful here.

7) Consider falling in love with teams who have shitty records at the all star break. This MLB has SO much parity right now, anything is possible. Your all star break assignment is to look at the standings and identify which teams have overachieved in the first half and which teams have underachieved. These crappy teams, some of them, will get on a bit of a roll at some point, even if its for a short period of time. Even the worst teams win at least 60 games.

8) Always remember that you are betting against the public which means you need to continually ask yourself, "what do i know about a certain team or situation that the public doesn't really know". I call it my 'just open up the newspaper' theory. Anyone can open up the newspaper and see which pitcher has the best record or best ERA. Opening up the paper isn't going to get you winners....you need to uncover some info that's not in the mainstream and exploit it in order to be successful.

9) Consider watching as many games as you can and really observe the play and don't really worry about the final score. Many times, the score doesn't tell the tale. After the game ask yourself, "did the final score really tell the tale". If it didn't tell the tale, you might have an edge for next time.

10) Consider the 'letdown' theory. Some teams get really fired up to play other teams and then in the following series, they aren't as excited. Perfect example is the Cubs. They played a highly charged series vs The White Sox (aka the good guys) and swept them and were feeling oh so good about themselves. In come the nameless and faceless Orioles and yep, i'm sure you can guess what happened.

Ok, so there's 10 things to ponder. :pop:

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: Baseball handicapping 101. Ten theories to get YOU the cash.

Could be your best post of all time. #8 is the most important IMO though all have some significants.:cheers

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

It's amazing to me how many garbage threads get hit after hit whereas a thread that is actually informative like this one gets spit.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

good read. slow I like to see the actual STARTING lineups before Im on a team, are both backup cathers starting??? play the under, are the weak hitting middle infields playing today?

rainbow

EOG Master

Walk and Strike out RATIO is VERY IMPORTANT when HANDICAPPING BASEBALL.

One could also develop a network of friends in each of the cities and share the local feel about each team (not in any printed media) or one could create a method of selection based upon certain aspects common to all games.

VERY GOOD stuff FK

Hope it's okay I copy this thread to the MLB Forum :cheers

JH85

EOG Addicted

Very informative write-up. A good read.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

good read. slow I like to see the actual STARTING lineups before Im on a team, are both backup cathers starting??? play the under, are the weak hitting middle infields playing today?

good example today was the joke of a MN Twins line up due to some nagging injuries and 2 solid pitchers..5-1 final. Many might have be this game not even waiting to see who was starting. I see that lots in baseball handicapping.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I'm going to add:

11) If a bad pitcher wins a game and pitches 'great' with smoke and mirrors, he's a great fade in his next game. Last night, Sidney Ponson (Yanks) pitched 6 shutout innings vs the Mets, but he really worked hard for that goose-egg. He got out of 2 seperate bases loaded jams....he was probably one inch away from giving up 10 runs, and he gave up 0. He pitched fair, but he's Sidney Ponson, which means he's not very good. A guy like this pitching back to back great games is unlikely.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

adding one more:

12) Check out game time temps and monitor older pitchers (who might have been struggling a bit) and see how they pitch in the heat. Both Pettitte and Burnett were very sharp in the heat in South Florida recently, especially Pettitte, this was one of the best games he's pitched in a really long time...he was unhittable, his ball was moving well, he had amazing stuff and he was throwing his breaking pitches over for strikes. Andy loves pitching in extremely warm weather and his last win gave him a boatload of confidence. Head to weather.com and check out game time temps.

Mostly agree.

I would add: track your bets by visitor/home, fave/dog, and odds ranges. I also like to track all games played in those categories to get a feel for how I'm doing vs. the averages.

A consistently kept up spreadsheet can be a wonderful tool for long-term betting success.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Mostly agree.

I would add: track your bets by visitor/home, fave/dog, and odds ranges. I also like to track all games played in those categories to get a feel for how I'm doing vs. the averages.

A consistently kept up spreadsheet can be a wonderful tool for long-term betting success.

Good info! :cheers

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I want to add something that came into my head today about teams who are 'due' and trying to handicap the 'dueness' sort of speak.

Lets look at the Yanks-O's series. O's have gone into the house that Jeter built and won the first two games of the series. This is really something that not too many people could have predicted.

I think the natural instinct is to think "no way the O's sweep the Yanks, bet all you have on NYY, no way they lose 3 in a row"

Here's the mindset that i want you to have going into this game tomorrow (or today depending on your location)

The worst thing you can do in sports is bet a team who's a heavy favorite who's been sucking ass because you feel they are 'due' to NOT suck ass.

10 games in baseball is equivalent to 1 game in the NFL..........which means this. a 2 game losing streak, which is what NYY is currently 'enjoying' is really ONE QUARTER of ONE NFL GAME.

Let me repeat this. Its equivalent to ONE QUARTER of ONE NFL game.

If a top team in the NFL plays a shitty first quarter and is down 14-0, do you empty the bank on them to turn things around and win the 2nd quarter? If you do, you shouldn't.

If you are wagering on a team that's minus 2 million, you want to make sure that you are betting on this team during a hot streak. Even great teams have blips on their radar and just play like crap for whatever reason.

Predicting a suck ass team to 'unsuck' overnight is akin to trying to predict when the housing or stock markets are going to be at the bottom. Don't try and be a hero and bet on some heavy favorite because they are 'due'.

now, its highly likely the Yanks will come out and beat this team in the head with a mallet and win by 10 runs. But, i think that when you are betting heavy favorites in baseball, you want to have EVERYTHING going for you. You want a team who's great, who's in a good mindset and is 'peaking' as opposed to a team who might be a little tired (because they just won 60 of their last 80 games) and is facing a little blip.

Lets face it, Yanks don't need the game tomorrow, or the next day or the next. They are playing with little urgency these last two days. They had a little distraction with the Jeter thing, the rain and the big lead and they just were flat and happy for a few days.

The Yanks might win and cover tomorrow, most likely, but when you are laying large wood, you need EVERYTHING going for you.......and that includes a team who's red hot (as opposed to a team who's a bit unfocused because they are 'due')

Nobody's due. Teams win because they are sharp, focused and play well and they lose because they are dull, unfocused and not urgent.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Some of these theories still might apply THIS season.

Excellent list...#2 and #6 are particular favorites of mine. It always amazes me how quick the public is to lay a big price with a 'name' pitcher. Obviously some are qualitatively better than others but I can't remember the last pitcher that was so good that he could shut down opponents game in/game out. Maybe Pedro Martinez in his prime....you just don't see guys who go out and put in complete games anymore and there's nothing more frustrating than laying a big price on a big name starting pitcher and have him do his job only to have a shoddy bullpen give the game away.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Solid list, FK.

I liked #4 best of all.

I always look to support good pitchers off a bad outing.

In a related angle, I look for spots to fade bad pitchers exiting an excellent effort.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Thanks guys for the kudos. appreciate it.

JK you might have gotten the money fading Ivan Nova after his blistering effort vs a good hitting texas team, he was total dogshit in his next game...which was very predictable.