STRUCK BY LIGHTNING......

A girl was jogging on the beach in SANDBRIDGE [VA.BEACH] Sunday when she was struck by a bolt of lightning and killed.
A witness said she saw the bolt hit the beach and when the storm was over went out to see if she could find glass in the sand.....but her kids found the jogger dead just before the surf.

Scary....there were close to 500 lightning strikes in Va.beach between 5-6pm yesterday.

I was in the boat Saturday and saw few strikes myself!! MAY'N!!

munson15

I want winners...
Re: STRUCK BY LIGHTNING......

As a golfer, let me say, you can't be too careful in that kind of weather.

As a golfer, let me say, you can't be too careful in that kind of weather.

Now see my exfather-in-law used to love to paly golf so much he said it never rained on the golf course. I always told him he was insane. Plus we live in FL the lighting capital.

munson15

I want winners...

Now see my exfather-in-law used to love to paly golf so much he said it never rained on the golf course. I always told him he was insane. Plus we live in FL the lighting capital.
I can tell you that at a major tournament we had at our club a couple of years ago, there was a very close call involving some friends of mine. And, our club is equipped with a lightning alarm system.:+anxious-

I can tell you that at a major tournament we had at our club a couple of years ago, there was a very close call involving some friends of mine. And, our club is equipped with a lightning alarm system.:+anxious-

Yes lighting is one thing that I do not take lightly. I do respect it greatly. I watched my brother get struck by it when I was little and that is why I fear it so much.

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

Always wondered What they were thinking out there in a storm, with virtual lighting rods in their hands. It is crazy...

munson15

I want winners...

Always wondered What they were thinking out there in a storm, with virtual lighting rods in their hands. It is crazy...
Most golfers are also gamblers and feel the odds are in their favor. That's the best theory I've come up with. Just the other day, the lightning alarm went off, our foursome was in the 11th fairway, we saw lightning on the horizon, and until the air above us felt a little different, we kept playing! One guy said let's just finish this hole. I got a bad feeling when their was a slight flash overhead, and yelled for everybody to leave their golf balls where they were. Finally we went in, but I'm sure that's how it happens, people don't think it's going to hit THEM, it'll pass or miss. Good odds they're right, but the risk/reward ratio is HORRENDOUS!

Black Bart

EOG Addicted

We use a 30/30 rule at sports fields that don't have a lightning detector. If the count between a bolt of lightning and the accompanying thunder is less than 30 seconds, the lightning is within 2 miles and we clear the field. Once the field is clear, we wait 30 minutes from the last visible lightning to resume.

A girl dies from a lightning strike on a beach in Virginia.

An 80-yr old lady hits the Mega-Millions slot in Las Vegas.

Life's randomness is just something there is not an explanation for.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Yes lighting is one thing that I do not take lightly. I do respect it greatly. I watched my brother get struck by it when I was little and that is why I fear it so much.

uhh what does exactly happen? do they sit there and like "fry"? does your hair stand straight up like the whole finger in a light socket?

texansfan

EOG Master

uhh what does exactly happen? do they sit there and like "fry"? does your hair stand straight up like the whole finger in a light socket?

What would happen to your body if you were struck by lightning right now?

Your body will be under direct influence of the strike for approximately 3 milliseconds.
1/3 of you will die from cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, inhibition of your brainstem’s respiratory centers or just from a catastrophic, multisystem failure.
The majority of you will:
Have one or both of your eardrums burst.
Experience a loss of consciousness.
Have 3rd degree burns from metal you were in contact with at the time of the strike such as jewelry as well as very small, but deep burns at the entry and exit wound sites. (The temperature of a lightning strike is about 28,000 degrees Celsius and 50,000 Farenheit). These burns will often take the shape of Lichtenburg Figures under the skin: Link with pics.)
Experience complete (but temporary) paralysis.
Experience bursting capalaries under your skin from shockwave or current.
In addition:

If you happen to be listening to AM radio you’ll be unnable to get reception for the duration of the strike as lightning severely interferes with amplitude modulation.
The heat of lightning that strikes sandy areas of the ground underneath you may fuse the soil or sand into glass channels called fulgurites.
Your clothing may become shredded, torn off or singed.
Early on, survivors will complain of intense headaches, ringing in the ears, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and other post-concussion types of symptoms.
Long-term effects that 70% of you have to look forward to:

Numbness/Weakness in limbs.
Sleep and memory disorders and problems concentrating.
Storm Phobia combined with Post Traumatic Stress disorder.
Development of seizure-like activity several weeks or even months after the injury.
Possible personality changes because of frontal lobe damage and increased irritability and anger.
Other Things to Consider:

If you can hear thunder you are within range of a ground strike.
The voltage of a typical industrial electrical shock is 20 to 63 kilovolts, while a lightning strike delivers about 300 kilovolts.
Roy Sullivan has the record for being the human who has been struck by lightning the most times. Working as a park ranger, Roy was struck seven times over the course of his 35 year career. He lost his big toe and suffered multiple injuries to the rest of his body.
On average, lightning strikes the earth about 100 times every second.
By counting the seconds between the flash and the thunder and dividing by 3, you can estimate your distance from the strike in kilometers. (By 5 for miles.)
Your chances of this happening are 1 in 280,000.

munson15

I want winners...

Were still in negotiations at the Pappagiorgio household but I believe I am. I will PM you in a day or two if thats OK.
Thanks, I am hopeful that the negotiations will conclude amicably, and bearing a positive outcome. :+textinb3