The Issue of One and Done College Basketball Players...

In 2006, a new NBA rule was passed stating that a player must be at least 19-years-old and be one year removed from high school to enter the league.

As of June 12th, 13 freshmen have already declared for the 2008 NBA Draft. All of those 13 freshmen are expected to be taken in the draft with the probability of the first five picks all being freshmen. Also, for the second year in a row, the top pick is considered to be a choice between two freshmen.

The NFL has a 3 year waiting period for their draft after High School..

But meanwhile, any High School graduate can forego College to enter the job market in many other professions so why can't they do that in Professional sports?

Is it really RIGHT for these decisions to be made by the NBA and NFL rather than by the athlete?

Personally, I don't think so. I believe this is a decision that a High School graduate is quite capable of making on his own with the help of his Family and Friends...

Rxx

EOG Veteran
Re: The Issue of One and Done College Basketball Players...

if they start taking the money in Europe, it might make the rule moot. Its a stupid rule. nobody cares when a golfer turns pro and MLB takes more kids from HS than college, i think.

The NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc, have the right to make the rules for their employees. If they choose to have a person be a certain age before working for them, so be it.

The NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc, have the right to make the rules for their employees. If they choose to have a person be a certain age before working for them, so be it.

Of course they can, but that doesn't make it fair now does it? :+clueless

Also, do you REALLY believe they have these kids best interests in mind?

"Fair" really isn't relevant here. No one has a "right" to a job.

Not at all. The leagues have their best interests in mind and that of their organization. The same as any other leadership of any other business.

mofome

Banned

I like the rule for the kids and the league.

Getting out of the hood and supporting their peeps is what is in their best interest. These ballplayers have no desire for an education. Why make a mockery of the college experience by making them attend for a whole year?

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

I don't like the rule because I believe it is more detrimental to college ball when these kids are forced to go to school for one year instead of being allowed to jump after high school. I wish the NBA would go to something like MLB where kids can be drafted out of HS but if they decide to enroll in college they have to stay there for 2-3 years.

I don't like the rule because I believe it is more detrimental to college ball when these kids are forced to go to school for one year instead of being allowed to jump after high school. I wish the NBA would go to something like MLB where kids can be drafted out of HS but if they decide to enroll in college they have to stay there for 2-3 years.

I feel it's more detrimental to the NCAA when the BEST players skip college all together. I would love to see the NBA mirror the NFL and say you can't join our league until you are at least 3 calendar years out of high school.

I think you guys are missing a major point. It keeps the scouts out of the middle schools and junior high schools. Knowing that they have to at least attend 1 year of college makes it easer to scout these kids. What % among the NBAs 1 and dones think that a year of college was detrimental to there career?

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

I think you guys are missing a major point. It keeps the scouts out of the middle schools and junior high schools. Knowing that they have to at least attend 1 year of college makes it easer to scout these kids. What % among the NBAs 1 and dones think that a year of college was detrimental to there career?

I'm not claiming it is detrimental to the player. I think it hurts the programs. I should admit I hate watching pro ball and love college basketball so I am definitely biased. If a player wants to go pro out of HS let him, at least a college hasn't had to waste time/money on this kid for a year when he has no interest in the college experience anyway.

So do you think NCAA basketball would have been more exciting without Mayo and Beasley?

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

So do you think NCAA basketball would have been more exciting without Mayo and Beasley?

A simple answer, no. Beasley and Mayo are great players and were entertaining to watch, that isn't debateable. I don't believe that Beasley did anything other than audition for the #1 pick for one year. Kansas State will not be better this year for having Beasley for only one year. I agree with Road Dawg that the ideal scenario for college basketball fans is something similar to the NFL; however, Stern will never allow this to happen so I don't even consider it a possibility. My point is I would rather have players buy into a system for multiple years to try to better themselves and the team than a person come in for one year just because he has to. I wouldn't miss someone that never enrolled in college since I wouldn't have ever watched them play. I'm not sure I articulated that well, but I hope you see where I am coming from. Not saying my opinion is right as I can see others opinions as well. I think where I differ from most is I truly hate NBA basketball and love the college game.

A simple answer, no. Beasley and Mayo are great players and were entertaining to watch, that isn't debateable. I don't believe that Beasley did anything other than audition for the #1 pick for one year. Kansas State will not be better this year for having Beasley for only one year. I agree with Road Dawg that the ideal scenario for college basketball fans is something similar to the NFL; however, Stern will never allow this to happen so I don't even consider it a possibility. My point is I would rather have players buy into a system for multiple years to try to better themselves and the team than a person come in for one year just because he has to. I wouldn't miss someone that never enrolled in college since I wouldn't have ever watched them play. I'm not sure I articulated that well, but I hope you see where I am coming from. Not saying my opinion is right as I can see others opinions as well. I think where I differ from most is I truly hate NBA basketball and love the college game.

Im slowly drifting away from the NBA every year. I live in Denver and have always been a Nuggets fan since the time I was 6 yrs old. I truly love the game and had season tckits for 5 yrs through Melos 2nd yr. I just hate the players now I cant stand Melo. Although I love what AI brings every night hes still a prick. Kenyon martin J.R. Smith and the rest of the gang are justb not "good people" and I find hard to root for them in life let alone a basketball game. Now that the Colorado Buffs seem to be on the right track we may actually get some nice college ball to watch so I think I will spend my $ on those season tickets instead.

mofome

Banned

the drafts are better, the college game is better. its not perfect, but its better than seeing HS kids leave and never be heard from again.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

The NBA Draft should be like the MLB Draft

You can go to the Pros straight outta HS but if you attend College you can't declare for the draft for another 3 seasons

I know MLB has it different in that the kids are drafted outta HS and don't have to declare if they want to be drafetd whereas the NBA requires kids to declare - but the right away or 3 year rule should be in effect

The NBA Draft should be like the MLB Draft

You can go to the Pros straight outta HS but if you attend College you can't declare for the draft for another 3 seasons

I know MLB has it different in that the kids are drafted outta HS and don't have to declare if they want to be drafetd whereas the NBA requires kids to declare - but the right away or 3 year rule should be in effect

I think the NHL draft is similar.

The One-and-done rule for college kills the game. Great, another group of frosh come in next year and will be gone. They are playing for their personal stats and not the team.