who do you think is the best NFL quarterback of all time?

• Dan Marino

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Joe Montana

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • John Elway

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Bret Favre

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Tom Brady

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

from the list below......

marino
montana
elway
favre
manning
brady

5 star bomb

EOG Master
Re: who do you think is the best NFL quarterback of all time?

Steve Young should be on the list.... My vote would go to Montana. He didnt put up the #'s as some of the other guys but managed the game better than anyone and lived for the clutch situations.... I hate to say it but Brady might be #1 when its all said and done

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i'm not going to even lie when i say i hate peyton manning.especially since he plays for our division rival indy colts but i'm going to give credit where its due and say manning.i grew up watching elway,montana and marino but i've always thought with manning in the game its extremely hard to beat indy.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I will admit I am far from objective here

Been a diehard Denver Broncos fan since their first SB run

so y'all know where my vote went

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i really do hope brady plays a few more years.i was already rooting for him to win some more rings.if brady plays the amount of years favre has played i could see him winning a total of five or six super bowls in his career......

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

it was nice to see elway win a couple super bowls because early in his career i think he went against the redskins and 49ers and those teams were powerhouses back when the NFC had most of the superbowl wins.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

manning's the best i've seen

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I dont get all the love for Manning over Brady.... Brady besides this year hasnt had any wrs for the most part and Manning has been pretty stacked. I like Manning a lot better but I definitely think the better qb is Brady

Those are all very good QBs and they are all better at certain things. It is tough to pick the best. I am gonna think about it for a few mins before I vote.

I think Peyton is a machine. He looks like a simulator or robot on routine plays. He is probably the most fundamentally sound QB ever. Pretty damn good in the pocket too.

As for Brady, he seems to play more effortlessly. It appears he doesn't have to work as hard to make things happen. He is amazing in the pocket and when pressured. He looks so natural that sometimes its hard to appreciate something he has done until you see a replay or you see 2 defenders collapsing on the ball and it soars about 3 inches from their reach into the endzone.

The others on your list were great too.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I dont get all the love for Manning over Brady.... Brady besides this year hasnt had any wrs for the most part and Manning has been pretty stacked. I like Manning a lot better but I definitely think the better qb is Brady

I don't either - then again i don't see the love for him over Elway and Montana

it's s shame the people voting for manning obviosuly never got to see elway or montana play because if they did the only way they could STILL vote for Manning was if they had a BAC of 0.40 or smoked about 5 joints

IF Sober and coherent there is NO WAY anyone can vote for Manning in this poll over Elway or Montana

Nascar_Bobby

EOG Addicted

If I take out Dan Marino, I get a 5 way tie.
In cold weather, I would have to go with Favre and Elway.

Montana was great but he had Rice. Still one of the best.
Elway tough when the game was on the line.
Favre best in cold weather.
Manning can pick a defense apart with amazing passes.
Brady can also pick a defense apart with amazing passes.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

:doh1

I think with 4 SB rings, Bradshaw should have at least made the list :rolleyes:

Montana and it's not even close.

Simply put, there isn't anything he hasn't done.

Multiple Super Bowl winner, never lost the Super Bowl.

Multiple Super Bowl MVP, never threw an INT in the Super Bowl.

All NFL 3 times

All NFC 5 times

Back to Back League MVP's

2 Time NFL passing title winner

No one else on this list has a resume like that.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I think that its not fair to give guys extra credit for rings. Defense wins championships, not qbs. I think the rules of the game are that when you have the ball, the object of the game is to move your team down the field and gain positive yardage and score points.

We shouldn't get sidetracked by achievements that are team related because how good the team that any QB ends up playing for is completely random, we don't want to reward a guy for getting lucky and getting on the right team.

Rewarding a QB for winning championships is like saying a guy who inherited 5 million from his parents is better in some way than a guy who never had anything handed to him and worked his fingers to the bone for 2 million.

Also, if a qb has tons of yards passing and tons of tds he might have this because of the teammates he played for. You might want to say Favre is the best QB ever because you really need to factor in the teammates he played with. Favre never really had a great running back and never had a career littered with great receivers. Montana had Rice, who did Favre have?

RageWizard

EOG Senior Member

I hate to admit it, but it is Brady. The guy's going to have the most super bowls when done, he already has the most TDs in a season, and 1 day he will have the most throwing yards in season as well. He has also proven to be a clutch player in the 4th quarter.

I think that its not fair to give guys extra credit for rings. Defense wins championships, not qbs. I think the rules of the game are that when you have the ball, the object of the game is to move your team down the field and gain positive yardage and score points.

We shouldn't get sidetracked by achievements that are team related because how good the team that any QB ends up playing for is completely random, we don't want to reward a guy for getting lucky and getting on the right team.

Rewarding a QB for winning championships is like saying a guy who inherited 5 million from his parents is better in some way than a guy who never had anything handed to him and worked his fingers to the bone for 2 million.

Also, if a qb has tons of yards passing and tons of tds he might have this because of the teammates he played for. You might want to say Favre is the best QB ever because you really need to factor in the teammates he played with. Favre never really had a great running back and never had a career littered with great receivers. Montana had Rice, who did Favre have?

You have now nailed the inherent flaw in picking the best single player in a TEAM game. A game some have called the most team oriented game ever devised.

I will argue forever that without Montana, San Francisco does not make it to those Super Bowls, much less win them.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I hate to admit it, but it is Brady. The guy's going to have the most super bowls when done, he already has the most TDs in a season, and 1 day he will have the most throwing yards in season as well. He has also proven to be a clutch player in the 4th quarter.

Trent Dilfer has 1 SB ring and Dan Marino has none. Under this logic, Dilfer is the better player.:pop:

Trent Dilfer has 1 SB ring and Dan Marino has none. Under this logic, Dilfer is the better player.:pop:

Negative. Trent Dilfer's overall resume comes no where near that of Dan Marino. Neither does that of Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Joe Theisman, nor any other flash in the pan QB that got a ring.

When judging the place in history of a single player in a team game, the success of the team is inextricably intertwined with that of the player, and vice versa. For example, Michael Jordan does not win 6 championships without the rest of the Chicago Bulls. The Chicago Bulls do not win 6 titles without Michael Jordan.

The one constant on those 4 Super Bowl teams for San Fran was Joe Montana.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Negative. Trent Dilfer's overall resume comes no where near that of Dan Marino. Neither does that of Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Joe Theisman, nor any other flash in the pan QB that got a ring.

When judging the place in history of a single player in a team game, the success of the team is inextricably intertwined with that of the player, and vice versa. For example, Michael Jordan does not win 6 championships without the rest of the Chicago Bulls. The Chicago Bulls do not win 6 titles without Michael Jordan.

The one constant on those 4 Super Bowl teams for San Fran was Joe Montana.

But if rings are the only thing that matters, Dilfer is ahead of Marino in the most important category.

But if rings are the only thing that matters, Dilfer is ahead of Marino in the most important category.

I never said that rings are the ONLY thing that matters. I do place a large emphasis on them.

If winning the title doesn't matter the most... then what does?

bigcat

EOG Member

In the following order:

Montana

Marino

Brady

Elway

Manning

Favre

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I never said that rings are the ONLY thing that matters. I do place a large emphasis on them.

If winning the title doesn't matter the most... then what does?

A QB can only do 'his job' and accumulate offensive yards gained and points scored. And, even then, its hard to evaluate because you have to evaluate the teammates and how good THEY are. If a QB plays his entire career with Jerry Rice and the other guy plays his career with Joe Blow, well, you have to use that as a factor.

There are a lot of factors, i just think that winning the SB is somewhat overrated if you are just trying to determine who is the best QB.

A QB can only do 'his job' and accumulate offensive yards gained and points scored. And, even then, its hard to evaluate because you have to evaluate the teammates and how good THEY are. If a QB plays his entire career with Jerry Rice and the other guy plays his career with Joe Blow, well, you have to use that as a factor.

There are a lot of factors, i just think that winning the SB is somewhat overrated if you are just trying to determine who is the best QB.

Montana did not play his entire career with Jerry Rice.

Each of the QB's listed in this poll had "great" or very good players around them for at least some of their career.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i think brady and manning will win more rings before they retire......

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i wonder if i should've added bradshaw,tarkenton,etc. to the poll.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

I want to say Montana, but he had so much to work with.

Marino would be second on my list.
I think it was Dan who made those Marks Brothers look so good, not vice-versa.

Then Favre & Elway.

Still an itsy-bitsy too early to put Manning & Brady in the category as those above.....

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I went with Montana being a 49er fan and got to see all his great performances.

Johnny Unitas was never mentioned. He was tops in a totally different era of football.

munson15

I want winners...

I went with Montana being a 49er fan and got to see all his great performances.

Johnny Unitas was never mentioned. He was tops in a totally different era of football.
Agreed on Unitas. My vote went to Montana, I can't remember him ever playing a bad game.

the glue

EOG Veteran

Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Thats it.......12io4j2w90

Was fortunate enough to have Stanford season tickets during Elway's years,and a 49er fan to boot-back to the alley oop with YA TITTLE AND R C OWENS. Two of the best ever-and were not too proud of themselves-JOE MONTANA by a nose-Do need to add those older than I say Unitas was tops.Geez-crazy niners-everyone had initals-YA Title--RC Owens--JD SMITH.-

panther

EOG Dedicated

I think with 4 SB rings, Bradshaw should have at least made the list :rolleyes:

bradshaw is one of my fav being a life time steelers fan

my family on my mothers side is the washington pa area

atlasburg about 24 miles from pittsburgh

but johnny u was my all time fav qb

met big ben (met might be a strech about 2 mins)at the dice table at atlantis

durning the blast shrink had their

IF dreams were to come true-It would be nice to see them all-again-everyone mentioned. Yes, Bradshaw was great--

texansfan

EOG Master

I'm surprised 5 stiff didn't say Jim McMahon.

Elway never had a hall of fame type receivers like these other qbs. In fact his rec core sucked for the 1st 10 yrs of his career!