Cubs get Harden!!!!!!!!!

texansfan

EOG Master
Re: Cubs get Harden!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how this can be looked at as a terrible decision.

I was reading a little about the trade and didn't realize the guy was hurt so often.

CHICAGO (AP) - The Chicago Cubs have acquired pitcher Rich Harden from the Oakland Athletics in a six-player trade, a day after the rival Milwaukee Brewers landed CC Sabathia.

The Cubs will receive the right-handed Harden and righty Chad Gaudin for pitcher Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer John Donaldson.
Harden, scheduled to be a free agent after the 2009 season, is 5-1 with a 2.34 ERA in 13 starts this season.

The oft-injured righty missed a month earlier this season because of a right shoulder strain. It was his sixth trip to the disabled list in his six-year career.

Journeyman

EOG Master

yes the potential injury factor is a concern if you're Chicago...it's been 100 years they have to go for it , IMO.

mofome

Banned

Is harden a FA at the end of the year or something? I want to say unbelievable deal for CHC, but BB rarely loses a deal. You have to be pumped 5 star!!! unbelievable.

CHC will win it all if he stays healthy. Great day to be a Cubs fan.

:cheers

Capping Tigerz

EOG Enthusiast

guess ya can throw that " no way they have enough in the farm system to get him" theory down the drain.

im not a cubs fan but i think they came out very well here , even if guy is a big injury risk when he is healthy he can be dominate and they really didnt pay a high price tag as i agree there minors werent terribly strong. For what they paid to get two arms who can surely help there cause in Harden and Gaudin dont see how it cant be looked at as a positive move on cost alone.

mofome

Banned

yes the potential injury factor is a concern if you're Chicago...it's been 100 years they have to go for it though, IMO.

Donaldson is awful, SG is poop, Patterson may be good, Murton is a 4th OF.

:pop:

texansfan

EOG Master

yes the potential injury factor is a concern if you're Chicago...it's been 100 years they have to go for it though, IMO.

I see no problem with going for it all if you can. The Astros gave up quite a bit when they traded for Randy Johnson years ago. The guy went like 10-1 but it didn't end up well with SD in the playoffs.

texansfan

EOG Master

What does Billy Beane know? Like Mo mentioned that guy is pretty good when it comes to talent. Does he know something the Cubs don't?

texansfan

EOG Master

At least the Cubs have experience with pitchers being on the disabled list, he should fit right in.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

If he stays healthy, this deal is a STEAL for the Cubs.....Even Gaudin is a good mlb starter, and will be able to step in if needed...along with Sean Marshall being available, cubs have decent backups in case Harden,Zambo, Lilly,Dempster or Marquis get injured....Gaudin and Marshall may battle Marquis for that 5th spot if he struggles....Marshall pitched well in his 3 starts recently, improving with each one......

Gallagher was a nice young arm, but i would take either of these 2 over him...and Murton is a solid player, but just never seem to "fit in" to the cubs mix.....he only spot started at best, and was up and down many times to the minors.....Eric Patterson is a decent player, but the Cubs got the better end of this deal, unless Harden just breaks down completely...

Oakland fans have to be a little upset that they trade away 2 of their better pitchers when they are right in the hunt in their division, and certainly for a wild card, should TB fade at all..

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Is harden a FA at the end of the year or something? I want to say unbelievable deal for CHC, but BB rarely loses a deal. You have to be pumped 5 star!!! unbelievable.

CHC will win it all if he stays healthy. Great day to be a Cubs fan.

Havent looked at that yet but I have faith with the Cubs that they will make the best effort to sign him. Plus I am sure he will love Chicago so he will want to stay anyway.... I just fuckin hope he stays healthy

5 star bomb

EOG Master

At least the Cubs have experience with pitchers being on the disabled list, he should fit right in.

I thought you said the Cubs didnt have enough on the farm to get the deal done?? Everyone laughed at me when I said they did

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

harden gets more run support now but goes from a great pitchers park to a bad one.

dont know what to make of it for rich.

If he stays healthy, this deal is a STEAL for the Cubs.....Even Gaudin is a good mlb starter, and will be able to step in if needed...along with Sean Marshall being available, cubs have decent backups in case Harden,Zambo, Lilly,Dempster or Marquis get injured....Gaudin and Marshall may battle Marquis for that 5th spot if he struggles....Marshall pitched well in his 3 starts recently, improving with each one......

Gallagher was a nice young arm, but i would take either of these 2 over him...and Murton is a solid player, but just never seem to "fit in" to the cubs mix.....he only spot started at best, and was up and down many times to the minors.....Eric Patterson is a decent player, but the Cubs got the better end of this deal, unless Harden just breaks down completely...

Oakland fans have to be a little upset that they trade away 2 of their better pitchers when they are right in the hunt in their division, and certainly for a wild card, should TB fade at all..

Trust me Oak knows what their doing!

SSI

EOG Dedicated

on the surface, looks good for chicago..

however oakland has a great nose for talent and developing talent, so ill bet that it works out ok for them as well..

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

There is no doubt that Beane "usually" gets the better end of the deals...he seems to have a nose for when to 'sell".....just look at some examples...he got the best years out of Mulder , look at him now, the best years out of Zito, look at him now.....Hudson and Haren have both had success after leaving, but he got good years out of them as well, then sold.....McGwire had his great success after leaving, but that was only cuz he got closer to the records when he was in STL....

That is a steal for the Cubs-would never have thought they would do this-A'S have a great AAA CLUB in Sacramento-cannot wait to read the morning paper.The only possible thought was that they could not resign him, but what about this year-darn-

ballwonder

EOG Master

yes it is a steal for the cubs, however, I dont think they are winning the world series.

texansfan

EOG Master

Let's keep this deal in perspective now. These are the Cubs. They are perennial losers and always will be.

Cmon guys do you really think Beane doesnt know what hes doing here after the CC trade went down he probably couldnt wipe the drool off of his mouth knowing the Cubs would be calling.