GB isnt treating Favre right

Re: GB isnt treating Favre right

uhhh he's not the first legend to make a bad play...I can name plenty if need be.....what's the point? he made a bad pass? I think we know that.

One of MANY...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/03/04/favre/index.html

"How will history evaluate him? Capable of almost anything on the field. Heroic. Indestructible. Maddening at times, but great to root for. With only this low key aftermath.

Could have been greater."

I almost want Favre to come back and play with Minnesota, or Chicago, or Tampa Bay, or some other team, and fall flat on his face.

Come back, Brett, solidify your legendary status.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah I was annoyed with how Favre handled it but do we know really all that happens behind the scenes? The media can make anyone/anything appear much different than reality....Who's to say ole Brett wasn;'t taking the high road? It happens.

His retiring after last season made absolutely no sense.

Yeah I was annoyed with how Favre handled it but do we know really all that happens behind the scenes? The media can make anyone/anything appear much different than reality....Who's to say ole Brett wasn;'t taking the high road? It happens.

His retiring after last season made absolutely no sense.

Either way, if Brett Favre wanted the play again, then he should have said so.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

What the NFL needs is an old timers circuit. So has beens can still satisfy thier cravings to be stars. He should just let the Pack move on. I think Favre is not treating Green Bay right, as this is just a major jerk around. It ain't boxing when you can comeback and get your ass kicked as many times as you want, when you are washed up. They have prepared to go this season with the Cal kid. Worse yet, he has waited patiently in the wings for his shot. I am not convinced Rogers cannot run the offense better than Brett. If you saw that Dallas debacle last year, it looked like Rodgers was the Pack's best QB.

OF...:cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

Who's to say Rodgers can't play? I agree with that...I also agree Pack mgmt has probably felt like hostages with Brett.

Hard to believe it came to this.

I also believe Brett is probably a jerk like most modern day players, and from things I've read and observed....if , yes I said IF, if GB goes 6-10 God help their mgt keeping their jobs. I don't rule out Brett taking an entire yr off and returning.

It does suck for Rodgers, he probably hates Brett by now, I've also read Brett hasn't made any of it easy on Rodgers, even 2-3 yrs ago....they're both probably rooting against each other.

You certainly can't fault Rodgers for feeling the way he does. He was their first round pick, probably told he was the QB of the future, played well in his first real chance against Dallas. It's not like Rodgers was a free agent that has had the job fall in his lap. If GB is ready to move on, they should tell Favre, thanks but no thanks.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

I've had this Favre conversation in other threads but all of these people claiming the Packers should welcome Favre back and hand him the starting job are crazy. Favre was once a QB that made all the players around him better, that is no longer the case. Favre's great last year was more a product of the other offensive players growing up and getting better (Jennings, Grant, OLine), thus making it easier on Favre, not the other way around. He was garbage in the two years prior when the other young talent was learning the ropes. Why does it not make sense for him to retire? He is old and losing it, most people would retire at that time.

If Favre wants to come back let him compete with Rodgers during pre-season to see if he can win the job with the new wrinkles that have been put in. I am all for an open competition. I suspect he and his massive ego are only interested in coming back if handed the starting position.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I've had this Favre conversation in other threads but all of these people claiming the Packers should welcome Favre back and hand him the starting job are crazy. Favre was once a QB that made all the players around him better, that is no longer the case. Favre's great last year was more a product of the other offensive players growing up and getting better (Jennings, Grant, OLine), thus making it easier on Favre, not the other way around. He was garbage in the two years prior when the other young talent was learning the ropes. Why does it not make sense for him to retire? He is old and losing it, most people would retire at that time. :LMAO

If Favre wants to come back let him compete with Rodgers during pre-season to see if he can win the job with the new wrinkles that have been put in. I am all for an open competition. I suspect he and his massive ego are only interested in coming back if handed the starting position.

jman I will let you handle this silly post....

5 star bomb

EOG Master

So you don't think a QB that has been in the league for as long as he has been is both old and his skills are diminishing? Not sure what is silly about that.

it was one of his best years in his career... they were an overtime away from superbowl.... enough?

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

it was one of his best years in his career... they were an overtime away from superbowl.... enough?

As I said earlier his teammates had a lot to do with his turnaround last year, as he was terrible in the two prior years.

So you actually believe that Favre's skills aren't diminishing? I know a lot of die hard homer fans that aren't foolish enough to believe that.

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

I think people might be looking at this the wrong way here. Most people that are saying the Packers need to let him walk do not like him. Try to put that aside and think about what is best for the Packers. How many teams have crappy qb's in this league? Where does Favre rank among active qb's? Lets just say he is Top 8? I think that is easily said without a stretch. The Packers made it to the NFC Championship game last year with Favre. How many games did he single handedly deliver a HUGE play? I am a Packers fan and I can think of at least 5 games where he made a huge play at the end of the game to win the game. Denver on Monday night and Chicago are probably the two most famous ones. One in overtime, one in the final two minutes of the game where he threw 50+ TD passes to win games. NFL is what have you done for me lately league and Favre has done a lot. You can say what you want about Favre choking in the NFC championship game but anyone that was at the game the conditions were PERFECT for NY Giant football and the opposite for the Packers. If Favre was going down hill and he wasn't getting the job done I would be the first one to say the Packers have to make a change. You can say that the Packers spent the whole off season making a change to Rodgers and getting him ready, but what would they have done if Favre said after the NFC Championship game that he was coming back for another year. Would Rodgers have took the summer off? Would he not have been working hard? Bottom line to me is that people are sick of Favre waffelling on his decision to retire, which makes total sense to me. But just because he is a horrible decision maker on retirement doesn't mean that it he doesn't give Green Bay the best chance to win NOW. Rodgers has played two halves of football during the regular season in two years and in both of the halves he sustained injuries that put him out for multiple weeks. As a fan of the Packers I think it absolutely absurd for the Packers to try to talk favre out of coming back. As Packer fans we should be celebrating because our chances to win the SuperBowl will be a TON better. I hope he comes back because you won't have to take my word for it. Currently at Betjamaica Green Bay is 35/1 to win the Super Bowl. I would guess that if Favre would come back those odds drop a lot. And as a fan I would take any increased chance at getting to the super bowl as a positive for my team. If you don't like Favre or his antics is one thing, to say the Packers are a better team without him is just stupid, in my opinion. Since the window to reach the Super Bowl is extremely small, heres hoping Favre gives it one more chance and Green Bay gets out of its own way to let him.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I think people might be looking at this the wrong way here. Most people that are saying the Packers need to let him walk do not like him. Try to put that aside and think about what is best for the Packers. How many teams have crappy qb's in this league? Where does Favre rank among active qb's? Lets just say he is Top 8? I think that is easily said without a stretch. The Packers made it to the NFC Championship game last year with Favre. How many games did he single handedly deliver a HUGE play? I am a Packers fan and I can think of at least 5 games where he made a huge play at the end of the game to win the game. Denver on Monday night and Chicago are probably the two most famous ones. One in overtime, one in the final two minutes of the game where he threw 50+ TD passes to win games. NFL is what have you done for me lately league and Favre has done a lot. You can say what you want about Favre choking in the NFC championship game but anyone that was at the game the conditions were PERFECT for NY Giant football and the opposite for the Packers. If Favre was going down hill and he wasn't getting the job done I would be the first one to say the Packers have to make a change. You can say that the Packers spent the whole off season making a change to Rodgers and getting him ready, but what would they have done if Favre said after the NFC Championship game that he was coming back for another year. Would Rodgers have took the summer off? Would he not have been working hard? Bottom line to me is that people are sick of Favre waffelling on his decision to retire, which makes total sense to me. But just because he is a horrible decision maker on retirement doesn't mean that it he doesn't give Green Bay the best chance to win NOW. Rodgers has played two halves of football during the regular season in two years and in both of the halves he sustained injuries that put him out for multiple weeks. As a fan of the Packers I think it absolutely absurd for the Packers to try to talk favre out of coming back. As Packer fans we should be celebrating because our chances to win the SuperBowl will be a TON better. I hope he comes back because you won't have to take my word for it. Currently at Betjamaica Green Bay is 35/1 to win the Super Bowl. I would guess that if Favre would come back those odds drop a lot. And as a fan I would take any increased chance at getting to the super bowl as a positive for my team. If you don't like Favre or his antics is one thing, to say the Packers are a better team without him is just stupid, in my opinion. Since the window to reach the Super Bowl is extremely small, heres hoping Favre gives it one more chance and Green Bay gets out of its own way to let him.

finally a post that makes 100% perfect sense.... thank you! I totally agree

12io4j2w90

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

People that say that Favre's success is related to others getting better around him have not played football in there life. No way just because your receivers and Oline are good can any qb come in and do an excellent job. Anybody that has seen the Packers play have appreciated what Favre has done, I hope he comes back and they open it up for competition for the starting quarterback spot. It will be the worst competition ever. Favre is the best qb on the Packers roster. It is funny when I hear people use the excuse well how would you feel if you were Rodgers.......Isn't it just as bad to be Favre. He didn't handle this very good, and he deserves criticism but if he gets run out of town that is a joke. He made the Packers. Ask Packer fans what it was like Pre-Favre.........and how it feels to be a Packers fan since he took over. He got the Packers to two super bowls winning one, and was a overtime away from another last year. Who wants a starting qb that goes to the NFC championship to retire one year later? Logically I am lost in this, this blows my mind. One question that should solve it logically would be if you had to put your years salary on which team would win more games this season Favre led Packers or Rodgers led Packers which one would you bet on. I would be floored if someone would risk it on a qb that has played two halves of football and got hurt in both, vs. a quarterback with the longest starting streak in NFL history. Just my thoughts....sorry I got a little carried away. Good day.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

People that say that Favre's success is related to others getting better around him have not played football in there life. No way just because your receivers and Oline are good can any qb come in and do an excellent job. Anybody that has seen the Packers play have appreciated what Favre has done, I hope he comes back and they open it up for competition for the starting quarterback spot. It will be the worst competition ever. Favre is the best qb on the Packers roster. It is funny when I hear people use the excuse well how would you feel if you were Rodgers.......Isn't it just as bad to be Favre. He didn't handle this very good, and he deserves criticism but if he gets run out of town that is a joke. He made the Packers. Ask Packer fans what it was like Pre-Favre.........and how it feels to be a Packers fan since he took over. He got the Packers to two super bowls winning one, and was a overtime away from another last year. Who wants a starting qb that goes to the NFC championship to retire one year later? Logically I am lost in this, this blows my mind. One question that should solve it logically would be if you had to put your years salary on which team would win more games this season Favre led Packers or Rodgers led Packers which one would you bet on. I would be floored if someone would risk it on a qb that has played two halves of football and got hurt in both, vs. a quarterback with the longest starting streak in NFL history. Just my thoughts....sorry I got a little carried away. Good day.

once again another great post... you make these Favre haters look like complete morons, haha. I have a question for you... Do you think Favre will play for another team if the Pack dont take him back?

kid44

EOG Dedicated

When all is said and done I think its Thompson who is trying to show its his team. McCarthy is a lame duck. Favre is better than Rodgers and I would be happy to see him behind center next year, especially with the talent they have. I think when all is said and done if he decides to come back they will take him. Poor choice if they do not.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

People that say that Favre's success is related to others getting better around him have not played football in there life. No way just because your receivers and Oline are good can any qb come in and do an excellent job.

You are right good WRs never help a QB. Moss never made Culpepper a good QB what was I thinking? :rolleyes:

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

When all is said and done I think its Thompson who is trying to show its his team.

You are dead on with this comment. I wonder if you have talked with the same former Packer employee that I have.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

And he threw the interception that KILLED his team's chances of winning. When GB needed him to ACT like a legend, he choked.

they were not gonna win that game anyway, you, me and everyone watching it knew....

cassiusclay

EOG Master

What the NFL needs is an old timers circuit. So has beens can still satisfy thier cravings to be stars. He should just let the Pack move on. I think Favre is not treating Green Bay right, as this is just a major jerk around. It ain't boxing when you can comeback and get your ass kicked as many times as you want, when you are washed up. They have prepared to go this season with the Cal kid. Worse yet, he has waited patiently in the wings for his shot. I am not convinced Rogers cannot run the offense better than Brett. If you saw that Dallas debacle last year, it looked like Rodgers was the Pack's best QB.

frog, if i remember correctly dallas had at least a 2 td lead in that game and was in prevent d. favre has never won a game at dallas and always played poorly on that field his whole career. if rodgers looked good it was an illusion, this guy is a joke, mediocre at best.

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

I never said that good wide receivers have NEVER made a quarterback better. I believe in this case that it is just a combination of the receivers getting better and Favre doing an above average job of getting the ball to his receivers and making plays. My point was you can't just put any QB in there with superstar receivers and say they are going to be an excellent qb. But I do believe Favre had a great season last year no matter what way you cut it, why if you are running a successful franchise would you run him out of town. Thompson above all else will be judged on this situation. I hope if the Packers don't want him back they have the guts to either trade him to a team that can contend or cut him out right.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Thompson above all else will be judged on this situation. I hope if the Packers don't want him back they have the guts to either trade him to a team that can contend or cut him out right.

I agree. It will be interesting if what rumors I have heard have any truth behind them. If they do and it comes out, both Thompson and Favre will look bad but Thompson will be crucified publicly (which according to rumors is what Favre wants). There is a reason the Packers are trying to talk him into staying retired and hoping this all goes away. At this point I don't think the Packers will be able to trade him if he does come back since many teams feel they will release him and his $12 mil salary anyway.

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

I think Thompson would have more to lose than the 12 million if they let him walk. If he gets cut they save his 12 million dollar salary. If they cut him and he goes to Minnesota or Chicago and he beats Green Bay either during the regular season or worse in the playoffs I think there might be a riot in Green Bay. I am glad I live a little outside of town if that happens. If I were Ted I would make nice really quick and hope that he doesn't come back if you don't want him back.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I agree. It will be interesting if what rumors I have heard have any truth behind them. If they do and it comes out, both Thompson and Favre will look bad but Thompson will be crucified publicly (which according to rumors is what Favre wants). There is a reason the Packers are trying to talk him into staying retired and hoping this all goes away. At this point I don't think the Packers will be able to trade him if he does come back since many teams feel they will release him and his $12 mil salary anyway.

I do have some sources who I trust. Fair weather fans will crucify Thompson if he sticks to his guns. People that understand the business end and the dealing with egos will understand. This is a tough situation for all parties. In the end I think he plays for GB again. Just about if he has been keeping in shape other than throwing to high school kids. His daughter is going away to college and Diana has a full plate with her foundation. He will be a lonely man down on the farm. You can only cut the grass so many times a week.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

As stated in another thread the org. holds all the cards.

1. He comes back and fights for starting job LOL
2. Trade him and his contract and get something for him. No way the org. would let him go to Minn. or Chic.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

frog, if i remember correctly dallas had at least a 2 td lead in that game and was in prevent d. favre has never won a game at dallas and always played poorly on that field his whole career. if rodgers looked good it was an illusion, this guy is a joke, mediocre at best.

He looked very good in that game, prevent or not. Way better than Favre, as Brett faced the same D after falling apart like he always does there. I totally disagree with him being a joke, or mediocre. I think Green Bay management and coaches also would disagree. He played in a pro passing set at Cal, and was one of if not best QB his last year, in the entire NCAA as far as passing. And if you think it is easy beting a team on the road coming back from a huge deficit, when you have to pass then you line up for those pass rushers to come at you full force, knowing you are dropping back to throw. How can you judge this guy when he has really only got one opportunity and just rocked?

cassiusclay

EOG Master

He looked very good in that game, prevent or not. Way better than Favre, as Brett faced the same D after falling apart like he always does there. I totally disagree with him being a joke, or mediocre. I think Green Bay management and coaches also would disagree. He played in a pro passing set at Cal, and was one of if not best QB his last year, in the entire NCAA as far as passing. And if you think it is easy beting a team on the road coming back from a huge deficit, when you have to pass then you line up for those pass rushers to come at you full force, knowing you are dropping back to throw. How can you judge this guy when he has really only got one opportunity and just rocked?

i am bookmarking this page for future reference frog...we shall see.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

i am bookmarking this page for future reference frog...we shall see.

That is very fair. I respect that and will root for him not to be a joke, or even mediocre. I like the O line and the running game, so he has no excuses. We shall indeed see. Your a good guy Cassius.

OF...:cheers Best Wishes

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Bleed Green and Gold for 40+ years and Rodgers has the tools but durability is a MAJOR question. I give him 4-6 games before he injures something.