Is Kevin Youkilis the worst starting 1st baseman in the history of the all-star game?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: Is Kevin Youkilis the worst starting 1st baseman in the history of the all-star game?

dont think its even close

rjt721

EOG Master
Re: Is Kevin Youkilis the worst starting 1st baseman in the history of the all-star game?

Almost as bad as Fukudome being a starting OF.

WVU

EOG Master

damn I hope his momma doesn't read this thread
:+comfort+

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Youk is a good player. On pace for 110+ RBI's and fifth in the league.

His numbers are .314 15 HRS 63 RBI's in the non steriod years. Folks this ain't bad.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

When i saw he was at the allstar game, i was really concerned. I said to myself, "kevin Youkilis is an all star?" I guess you never know what can happen.

let me preface by saying im not a red sox apologist. im not a member of the nation.

youkilis is hitting 315 avg with about 15hr and something like 63 rbi.. he is defensively above average and works counts (.380 obp).. he is consistently the toughest out on the bosox..

i think its easy to pick on him because his game isnt flashy, he doesnt have dreadlocks, and he wont hit any 500 ft homers, but all around he is a very good baseball player, and statistically, he is an obvious ALL STAR selection.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

let me preface by saying im not a red sox apologist. im not a member of the nation.

youkilis is hitting 315 avg with about 15hr and something like 63 rbi.. he is defensively above average and works counts (.380 obp).. he is consistently the toughest out on the bosox..

i think its easy to pick on him because his game isnt flashy, he doesnt have dreadlocks, and he wont hit any 500 ft homers, but all around he is a very good baseball player, and statistically, he is an obvious ALL STAR selection.

It doesn't 'feel' right, regardless of statistics.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

No doubt about it and well said. The guy is a damn good player and not to mention how versitile he is. The guy can play several positions, well. This guy is a huge asset to any team.

shoebox

EOG Veteran

Good Player for sure, starting AL 1st baseman?? Not a chance, internet voting killed the all star game

rjt721

EOG Master

No doubt about it and well said. The guy is a damn good player and not to mention how versitile he is. The guy can play several positions, well. This guy is a huge asset to any team.
2. And he's a below-average defensive 3B.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Good Player for sure, starting AL 1st baseman?? Not a chance, internet voting killed the all star game

Exactly. Its a popularity contest.

how good you are don't matter obviously in all cases. David Ortiz made the team and he hasn't done squat this season. He made it on popularity.

It doesn't 'feel' right, regardless of statistics.
thats because flash is all that matters to some people. the same reason jermaine dye isnt in the all star game every year.

i hate to sound elitist here, but its a bunch of people who dont know baseball... results say he belongs.

rjt721

EOG Master

Exactly. Its a popularity contest.

how good you are don't matter obviously in all cases. David Ortiz made the team and he hasn't done squat this season. He made it on popularity.
Good point. That would explain Jeter starting at SS over Michael Young.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Good point. That would explain Jeter starting at SS over Michael Young.

That too. Jeter don't belong there either.

But, he does if you care about popularity.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

says who? he has a reputation for a good glove all around. show me proof of this statement.

Derek Sanderson, I agree with you again. He has been superb lately at first and he did well filling in for Lowell earlier this year at 3rd. Nice when Lowell goes down and you can bring in Youk.

This subject is Pandora's box. Pedroia had a terrific mid june to present, but we all know Ian Kinsler has brought it from Day 1, and his stats tower over the rest.

Justin Duscherer didnt even make the team, his stats are out of this world. I think the All Star Game should be the best players, not the biggest names. No offense, Griffey (who i love) has no business on the team,,, he is a 240 hitter.

rjt721

EOG Master

says who? he has a reputation for a good glove all around. show me proof of this statement.
He had that reputation when he was coming up in the minors as a 3B. I think that reputation no longer holds true, but that's just my opinion. His range at third is extremely limited. You can get away with giving him spot starts at third to give Lowell a day off on occasion, but he's not an adequate everyday third baseman, at least not defensively.

shoebox

EOG Veteran

Youklis, Pedroia, Fukodome, Soto, none of these 4 deserve to start, what a shocker that all 4 are Cubs or Red sox

Youklis, Pedroia, Fukodome, Soto, none of these 4 deserve to start, what a shocker that all 4 are Cubs or Red sox
Youkilis much deserves the start over Manny if you want to get knitpicky

the glue

EOG Veteran

The dirt dogs baby.....:houra:houra:houraThats why the sox win, no I on that team...I think that's how the yanks uses to win in the 90's...LOL....:+textinb3

Journeyman

EOG Master

The AL 1st baseman spot use to be loaded with freakin mashers! The guys that didn't even make the team would have played over Youk, easily.

This is not only weak it's mind-boggling and embarrassing.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The AL 1st baseman spot use to be loaded with freakin mashers! The guys that didn't even make the team would have played over Youk, easily.

J MAN! :houra

yes they had more pop... but they certainly didnt hit for higher avg obp or rbis.. also their defense was worse.. but all you care about is the size of a bicep, and he isnt a specimen like those before.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Jman, you just said NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. Care to talk about facts and defend your case or you going to BS your way thru this? BTW Youk is not embarrassing at all.

This is 2008.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

yes they had more pop... but they certainly didnt hit for higher avg obp or rbis.. also their defense was worse.. but all you care about is the size of a bicep, and he isnt a specimen like those before.

Jman said nothing. He give no names. mentions previous years LOL...and then uses a few adjectives. Terrible terrible post.

Youk is a damn good player to anyone that knows baseball. This 2008.

Jman said nothing. He give no names. mentions previous years LOL...and then uses a few adjectives. Terrible terrible post.

Youk is a damn good player to anyone that knows baseball. This 2008.
the only reason this is even an argument is youk's size and look. he isnt an overly appealing guy (he doesnt wear 12 wristbands, have a mullett, dreadlocks) and he isnt a large man.. he looks like he may be 5 10 or so... its all about the look, like the relentless poster said "popularity"... it silly stupid stuff.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

the only reason this is even an argument is youk's size and look. he isnt an overly appealing guy (he doesnt wear 12 wristbands, have a mullett, dreadlocks) and he isnt a large man.. he looks like he may be 5 10 or so... its all about the look, like the relentless poster said "popularity"... it silly stupid stuff.

Right. Also the HR mentality. Everyone is looling for the big HR numbers too. He is 5th in the league in the all important RBI stat. His numbers in 2008 are more than respectable. TO say that Youk is embarrassing is really pathetic. Nothing short of pathetic.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah well they score a lot more runs now...you know this Tom!

I expected more from you.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Yeah well they score a lot more runs now...you know this Tom!

I expected more from you.

Jman, I ignore some people who do not know about this stuff but you do. He is worthy. Very worthy. SOrry to snap but just enjoying the moment. Can't win with every post. Just the heat of the moment. On these topics you are usually money. It happens! No problem.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I'm not saying he's not worthy TOm, I'm saying the overall 1B all star level is way down.....waaaay down.

Shall I start naming names from the past?

Let me grab my 1983 Gillette ballots out, brb.