"Who Am I"? ...from the originator of the 'Who Am I' series

Journeyman

EOG Master
5 clues to get the player.

#1. I started my career and ended it in the (Ca) bay area, but on different teams.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: "Who Am I"? ...from the originator of the 'Who Am I' series

#2 Oddly enough I retired having one of my more productive HR-RBI seasons (35 HR 94 RBI) and I was only 37 at seasons end that yr, but that was it for me....in my last 3 seasons I knocked out, 35-30-35 HR, and this was when 30+ was excellent.

But I was still done at 37 years old.

Journeyman

EOG Master

BTW, this guy was a statistical wonder, with his bizarre stats,lol.

Well known player! just some really odd looking stats, very lopsided one dimensional player.

Journeyman

EOG Master

#3 I played MOST of my career in the NL, I only made the post season one time (my rookie season) 1 career post season hit....

I did play part of one season with a world series champion but was ineligible for that post season (came to that team too late in that season)

Journeyman

EOG Master

Dave Kingman

Swing batatatatatatatatatatatatatata BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra

Well done Chop!

I was trying to be extra careful...what gave it away?

Journeyman

EOG Master

How times have changed here we have Kingman hitting 35 homers the yr he retires...just can't imagine a guy hitting that many homers not getting a deal in this day and age, and back then 35 was like 40+ today

What a bizarre career Kingman had.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

Swing batatatatatatatatatatatatatata BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra:houra

Well done Chop!

I was trying to be extra careful...what gave it away?

started and ended on west coast and one dimensional player.
He was the most one dimensional player in the history of baseball.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

How times have changed here we have Kingman hitting 35 homers the yr he retires...just can't imagine a guy hitting that many homers not getting a deal in this day and age, and back then 35 was like 40+ today

He was a liability and nobody liked him.
More unpopular than Barry Bonds.

Speaking of bonds, he hit 29 last season and cant get a job.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

one dimensional no doubt. unless you count strike outs as a dimension.

Remember the Dave Kingman T-shirt give away day at Wrigley. Kingman blew off the game and was on his boat on Lake Michigan. Also remember the present he sent to a female reported - a dead rat.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Another odd occurence for Kingman, the 77 season, he ended up in NY in MID Sept! I believe this caused the Sept 1 rule to be changed! NY paid cash for him, and he did very well in NY down the stetch , the Yankees held off Balto and Bos by 2 games, Kingman played a big part in that.

It was a shady deal, the Angels actually claimed him off the waiver wire because they were in a lessor position in the standings then sold him to NY!

Like I said, that caused a rule change....he may have gotten a small percentage of that WS share....he had 4 homers in 8 games for NY.

Journeyman

EOG Master

And here we are 31 years later and New York just got this generations Kingman ;)

Another odd occurence for Kingman, the 77 season, he ended up in NY in MID Sept! I believe this caused the Sept 1 rule to be changed! NY paid cash for him, and he did very well in NY down the stetch , the Yankees held off Balto and Bos by 2 games, Kingman played a big part in that.

It was a shady deal, the Angels actually claimed him off the waiver wire because they were in a lessor position in the standings then sold him to NY!

Like I said, that caused a rule change....he may have gotten a small percentage of that WS share....he had 4 homers in 8 games for NY.

He was the only player to HR for teams in all four divisions in the same year.

lol, played for 4 teams one year.....

Journeyman

EOG Master

He was the only player to HR for teams in all four divisions in the same year.

insane!

the back of his baseball card is just mind boggling :blink::blink::blink:

95 homers the final 3 seasons, still just 38 and nobody wanted him...maybe it was his 3-1 strikeout to walk ratio and his career .302 OBP

:pop:

Journeyman

EOG Master

Does that look like a major league batter's follow thru? If you didn't know it, you may assume his hands are switched. How does one end up in that position after missing the ball?

Journeyman

EOG Master

throwing the ball wasn't polished looking either.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Does that look like a major league batter's follow thru? If you didn't know it, you may assume his hands are switched. How does one end up in that position after missing the ball?

:+clueless