BLANTON to the Phillies

mofome

Banned
ESPN's Buster Olney says the Phillies have acquire Joe Blanton from the A's for three minor leaguers.
No word yet on the prospect, but the A's needed to get either Carlos Carrasco or Adrian Cardenas here. Infielder Jason Donald and catcher Lou Marson are the Phillies' next-best prospects. Getting both Carrasco and Donald would have been a coup for the A's. What this does for the Phillies' plans for Brett Myers is unclear. If Myers would be happy in a setup role, it'd now make sense for the Phillies to convert him. Jul. 17 - 6:49 pm et

:cheers

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Re: BLANTON to the Phillies

geesh, its like a fire sale in oakland, and they are only a few games out.....

but they will be tough in the near future probably....hate to see a team seem to give up on a season though, when they are close

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Wow the A's don't want any pitching at all. Doesn't make sense to me in their current spot in the season. Guess I just don't understand the reason baseball teams do some things yet. :+clueless

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

great move phills!

agree but Billy Beane is as sharp and shrewd as it gets and while the Phils might be the winner TODAY a few years down the line odds are we might be saying the opposite

if i am a GM and my phone rings and i see it is Billy Beans i am NOT answering it because i know i will be taken to the cleaners in the long run

Obviously Billy would love to win this season but the likelihood is
not that good.

That said, his goal coming into this season was to have the team
ready to compete when they move into their new stadium in a
couple years.

That is and has been his target date. Anything between now and
then is gravy.

If I could get a futures bet down now for 2011 I honestly
would.

Their entire minor league system is deep with only the pitching
lacking to some extent and that explains some of the
reasoning behind Harden and Blanton heading out.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

FWIW:

Stadium Issue
Team owners have been faced for several years with a problematic venue issue. The Oakland Coliseum was originally built as a multi-purpose facility. After the Oakland Raiders football team moved to Los Angeles in 1982, many improvements were made to what was suddenly a baseball-only facility. The 1994 movie Angels in the Outfield was filmed in part at the Oakland Coliseum.

Then, in 1995, a deal was struck whereby the Raiders would move back to Oakland for the 1995 season. The agreement called for the expansion of the Coliseum to 63,026 seats. The bucolic view of the Oakland foothills that baseball spectators enjoyed was replaced with a jarring view of an outfield grandstand contemptuously referred to as "Mount Davis" after Raiders' owner Al Davis. Because construction was not finished by the start of the 1996 season, the Athletics were forced to play their first six-game homestand at 9,300-seat Cashman Field in Las Vegas.

Although "official" capacity was stated to be 43,662 for baseball, seats were sometimes sold in Mount Davis as well, pushing "real" capacity to the area of 60,000. The ready availability of tickets on game day made season tickets a tough sell, while crowds as high as 30,000 often seemed sparse in such a venue. On December 21, 2005, the Athletics announced that seats in the Coliseum's third deck would not be sold for the 2006 season, but would instead be covered with a tarp, and that tickets would no longer be sold in Mount Davis under any circumstances. That effectively reduced capacity to 34,077, making McAfee Coliseum the smallest stadium in Major League Baseball.

Since the expansion of Coliseum seating, ownership has stated that a new and smaller baseball-only facility is necessary to ensure the economic viability of the Athletics. In 2005, owner Wolff made public his plans to build a 35,000-seat baseball-only stadium not far from the present facility, as part of a larger commercial and residential development. However, those plans never moved past the nascent stage, in part because the cost of the renovations to McAfee Coliseum made public funding for a new ballpark too politically risky. After the city of Oakland failed to make any progress toward a stadium the A's began contemplating a move to the Warm Springs district of suburban Fremont just north of the Santa Clara County line in the vicinity of San Jose on a parcel of land just north of Mission Blvd currently owned by Cisco Systems. Fremont is about 25 miles south of Oakland.

Finally, on November 7, 2006, many media sources announced the Athletics would be leaving Oakland as early as 2010 for a new stadium in the city of Fremont which was confirmed the next day by the Fremont City Council. The team will be playing in what is planned to be called Cisco Field, a 36,000 seat baseball only facility. The proposed ballpark would be part of a larger "ballpark village" which would include retail and residential development. While the existing Oakland Coliseum is easily accessible via public transit on BART, the new stadium does not lie near the existing BART lines, and could be problematic for those not wanting to drive to the stadium. However, the new stadium site does have direct access to both Amtrak's Capital Corridor train system and the Altamont Commuter Express rail lines. BART already has plans for a Warm Springs expansion station which, via a people mover or shuttle, would make the new stadium much more accessible by public transit as well. In addition, Wolff has stated the transit to and from the stadium is a prime concern of his and that it will be addressed. Speculation abounds that, when the move is made, the geographical part of the team's name might change accordingly.

Before the 2008 season began, the organization announced the reopening of the section of upper deck behind home plate in an "All You Can Eat" offer. Tickets are sold at $35 each, in which fans can enjoy as much as food as they like. Meanwhile, it is reported the completion date for new stadium, Cisco Field, will be likely delayed a year to 2012.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Okaland is 7 games over .500, just 5-6 out of the division and wild card and they're unloading at the break, just doesn't seem right.

I get the whole BB thing , but this early, giving up?

rjt721

EOG Master

It's not like Blanton's contributed to the A's staying in the race. He's even been poor at home this season.

Will be interesting to see how he fares pitching in Philly. Quite a contrast between the Coliseum and Citizens Bank.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

Last season?s Rockies, this season?s Rays would seem to indicate that YOUNG INEXPENSIVE talent can COMPETE in MLB?a glimmer of hope for fans of perpetual small market losing clubs.

Squeezing the juice out of the vets over the past couple seasons seems to have opened-up some opportunities for a MLB youth movement?

Barry Bonds rocks unwanted from an easy chair as ?THE BOSS? finds his club trailing the Soxs and Rays at mid-point by a half-dozen games.

roach23

Banned

Who'd the Phillies give up?

Cardenas was a supplemental first-round pick in 2006, and one of the organization's top prospects. He was hitting .309 with four homers and 23 RBIs for single-A Clearwater. Outman, a 10th round pick in 2005, had been moved to the bullpen in double-A Reading. He is 4-2 with a 3.22 ERA in 28 relief appearances this season. And Spencer, a third-round pick last year, is hitting .249 with six homers and 41 RBIs for single-A Clearwater.

Blanton is an upgrade over Eaton. While i think the Phils overpaid, I'm ok with it. With the squad they have now they can't sit around and wait for these guys who are quite a few years away from the big leagues.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

agree but Billy Beane is as sharp and shrewd as it gets and while the Phils might be the winner TODAY a few years down the line odds are we might be saying the opposite

if i am a GM and my phone rings and i see it is Billy Beans i am NOT answering it because i know i will be taken to the cleaners in the long run

I would be shock that there was any talent in the phils farm system let alone three guys

oakas

EOG Addicted

I am starting to get real pissed now.

What the hell is going on with Billy Beane?:+clueless

Another good trade by the A's, as usual. This pitcher is not that good and they got premium value out of him because the Phillies needed a pitcher.

Great move Billy Beane. This will be a top team in the AL in 3-5 year IMO.