Is part of a mod's job to start threads? Or does it just happen subconsciously while moderating?

The term "moderator" does not mean "thread starter" but i wonder whether mods are expected to start threads..or is it merely to oversee, to moderate?
:houra

it may also just be a matter of hangin around EOG enough time that you just start postin threads...

what do all y'all in the moderating biz presently or formerly think?

:pop:

Blondie

EOG Master
Re: Is part of a mod's job to start threads? Or does it just happen subconsciously while moderating?

ID, I think it is part of just being around here. I have noticed I will go in spurts as far as starting threads, as I think some other moderators do as well.

I would much rather respond to a poster's thread than start a new one :)

Re: Is part of a mod's job to start threads? Or does it just happen subconsciously while moderating?

Hopefully, no moderators will by harmed in the making of this thread.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

The term "moderator" does not mean "thread starter" but i wonder whether mods are expected to start threads..or is it merely to oversee, to moderate?

it may also just be a matter of hangin around EOG enough time that you just start postin threads...

The paid roster prohibited from initiating threads?

Brilliant!

You have a second on that motion.

Blondie

EOG Master

Jeff that is very sweet of you to be concerned :)

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Does Disneyland have rides?

OF...:doh1

fog - still don't know why you have obsessed about that comment for years. lol. i had never been to disneyland before, lil guy. thats just the way life is. you need to deal with it and move on, fog.

:)

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Moderators aren't & never have been posters I don't guess...........:+clueless

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I just found a slight correlation between asking if part of a mod's job is to start threads and if there were rides in Disneyland. Sorry if you feel obessession, not interested.

OF...:blink:

but wrigs - they not paid to post; they paid to MODERATE. theres a difference, sir....i think. maybe not as much anymore as there once was...

but wrigs - they not paid to post; they paid to MODERATE. theres a difference, sir....i think. maybe not as much anymore as there once was...

Moderator paid poster not much of a difference these days so who you like today ID:+clueless

Journeyman

EOG Master

This is the worst question you have ever asked.

:rolleyes:

Pitcher dont even see that many 20 game winners these days,

OOPs wrong thread

Journeyman

EOG Master

I've seen some ex mods mention they don't believe in paid posters, there's basically not much difference....as if they got the job because they were not a poster to begin with...

The best mods are essentially great posters.

journey - would you consider patty mcstiff a great moderator? one of the best of all time?

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

I think that whom ever wants to post, should post "Paid or not" In my case I'm just f..kn Horny this morning, and wanna have fun.:sex

janus

EOG Dedicated

I think that whom ever wants to post, should post "Paid or not" In my case I'm just f..kn Horny this morning, and wanna have fun.:sex

someone shoot this post over to mensa for analysis.

Blondie

EOG Master

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

If a moderator is going to be around all day they might as well post, just hitting the refresh button would get old after a while :doh1

and fwiw I understand where you are coming from Angels :pop:

The paid posters always have the best picks. They hit close to 47%.

The paid posters always have the best picks. They hit close to 47%.

Shouldn't they be able to cut their losses in the long run by flippin' a coin?

Please bear with us Identity,

All of our moderators are busy with various "projects" lately, so we don't have that many who are available to reply to this thread...

Starting threads is clearly a low priority "project" for mods, since the majority of our threads are started by others....

Taking care of posters like you is considered HIGH priority....

Make sense now? :pop:

Shouldn't they be able to cut their losses in the long run by flippin' a coin?

No way. Learn from it.

Money is staring you in the face.

Blondie

EOG Master

Please bear with us Identity,

All of our moderators are busy with various "projects" lately, so we don't have that many who are available to reply to this thread...

Starting threads is clearly a low priority "project" for mods, since the majority of our threads are started by others....

Taking care of posters like you is considered HIGH priority....

Make sense now? :pop:

Apparently they have not mastered the art of multitasking :D

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

Apparently they have not mastered the art of multitasking :D
One hand here, the other hand there.. Ohh yaa "Mutitascking fun'...:+textinb3

As far as starting threads and posting goes, I see the Moderators job about the same as someone "Moderating a debate". Throw a question or a subject out there and sit back and read folks opinions on it.

And comment as you see fit on those answers, with follow up questions, "point/counterpoint" and such

Journeyman

EOG Master

journey - would you consider patty mcstiff a great moderator? one of the best of all time?

Great poster, lousy mod...and I believe he would also be the first to admit it...

I'm not sure why really, he just didn't do the job....I think if Pat had to do it again he would have done a good job...times have changed though.

McIrish overmoderated and for really no reason at all, the forum world was much different then IMO.:+clueless

J Man,

In your opinion, how would Identity fare as a Mod ???

Apple

Banned

I've seen some ex mods mention they don't believe in paid posters, there's basically not much difference....as if they got the job because they were not a poster to begin with...

The best mods are essentially great posters.

Dirty recently said paid posters are useless..

janus

EOG Dedicated

Great poster, lousy mod...and I believe he would also be the first to admit it...

I'm not sure why really, he just didn't do the job....I think if Pat had to do it again he would have done a good job...times have changed though.

McIrish overmoderated and for really no reason at all, the forum world was much different then IMO.:+clueless

mcirish helped me when i needed help and i could give a fuck about his posting skills, but as you said, forums were different then... mods stood behind their sites, and sites stood behind their books. no offense, but i'd be interested to see how many high level book/poster conflicts blondie has resolved so far in her tenure. back in the day, mods were heavily relied on to set disputes straight & maintain a site image as a haven of reliability in the uncertain world of offshore gaming... these days? see thread title.

and for all you that bashed ID on this thread, this is probably exactly why she asked the question. it didn't used to be rhetorical.

Blondie

EOG Master

mcirish helped me when i needed help and i could give a fuck about his posting skills, but as you said, forums were different then... mods stood behind their sites, and sites stood behind their books. no offense, but i'd be interested to see how many high level book/poster conflicts blondie has resolved so far in her tenure. back in the day, mods were heavily relied on to set disputes straight & maintain a site image as a haven of reliability in the uncertain world of offshore gaming... these days? see thread title.

and for all you that bashed ID on this thread, this is probably exactly why she asked the question. it didn't used to be rhetorical.

So you don't think I have or you don't think I could? :pop:

janus

EOG Dedicated

So you don't think I have or you don't think I could? :pop:

as i said, no offense, nothing personal. i'm sure you could & you probably have, its just that this service has changed in the industry. it used to be a mod's 'raison d'etre'. i shouldnt have used your handle, dirty & general did shit in this regard in their twillight years.

more about chomping the popcorn these days, n'est-ce pas?

Blondie

EOG Master

as i said, no offense, nothing personal. i'm sure you could & you probably have, its just that this service has changed in the industry. it used to be a mod's 'raison d'etre'. i shouldnt have used your handle, dirty & general did shit in this regard in their twillight years.

more about chomping the popcorn these days, n'est-ce pas?

Not a problem, mine actually would be the most logical handle to use, especially since many here do not think I even gamble. :cheers

and in some ways yes in some ways no

janus

EOG Dedicated

Not a problem, mine actually would be the most logical handle to use, especially since many here do not think I even gamble. :cheers

nowadays, i'd be one of those who don't, but i was grateful for the service while it existed... i doubt i'd be comfortable enough to rejoin the game even if legislation changed back given the change in support from these type of sites.

i disagree that yours was the most logical to use... it was just the one that came to mind first for whatever reason. mo or hoffa or reload or whoever are all the same in terms of this discussion. maybe i had a winky moment & your handle came out for no other reason than you're female. anyway, i apologize for singling you out.

Mofome can make all the "tough guy" picks he wants.

But really,we're up at three in the morning. Nobody is after Mofome's picks.

lol, you gambled by taking a mod job :cheers