Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: RUNS TONIGHT IN NYC? Gascan Ponson vs LAA In~Game

Holy crap, just realize it started at 7:05

0-0 in 3rd :doh1

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

How could you ever figure this, given the pitchers, these teams and the recent explosion of offenses? It happens

mofome

Banned

yikes!

what are these boys doing? i believe we had a big unders ump out there tonight.

Panic

EOG Dedicated

I've been drinking and seeing double and the game still hasnt scored any runs.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Angels just scored. 1-0. It might go over yet. Not drinking Mo.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I sincerely don't know how much the umpires effect a game, I am sure a little but not like this. I wanted jman's opinion. If the umps are UNDER umps then you do you homework. I suspect they affect the game some but not a lot.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Are you glad Manny's gone Tom?

I honestly don't know. He was leaving anyway and he has gotten away with an awful lot, so I guess it was time. Funny think is that bay's numbers this year are comparable. Everyone was fed up with manny. His time was up.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I tried to use Ump trends in 2005, midway thru the yr and it just wasn't working out, so I stopped ....plus what i found was an ump would be an under ump one yr and not the next, I personally didn't like it...

Now there are a few I am well aware of , John Hirschbeck for example was probably the one ump I would skip an over play if he was behind the plate.

The time Alomar spit in his face after getting rung up, lol that ball was 16 inches off the plate!

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I tried to use Ump trends in 2005, midway thru the yr and it just wasn't working out, so I stopped ....plus what i found was an ump would be an under ump one yr and not the next, I personally didn't like it...

Now there are a few I am well aware of , John Hirschbeck for example was probably the one ump I would skip an over play if he was behind the plate.

The time Alomar spit in his face after getting rung up, lol that ball was 16 inches off the plate!

This is the answer I was looking for.

I wish someone spit in Ken kaiser's face. He was the most arrogant ump ever. That was bad with Alomar. Classic, but bad. LOL.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I was watching that game, I watched every inning still back then...yeah Robbie was out of line but that ball was WAY outside, and then Alomar claimed he called him a f ag.

Kaiser! LOL He was our biggest enemy, he absolutely hated Eddie Murray and Earl Weaver, it got so bad the league kept Kaiser from umping Orioles games...I remember him throwing Eddie out in the first inning once for staring at him....they had argued the night before, Murray was ejected then too.

those were the days.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I was watching that game, I watched every inning still back then...yeah Robbie was out of line but that ball was WAY outside, and then Alomar claimed he called him a f ag.

Kaiser! LOL He was our biggest enemy, he absolutely hated Eddie Murray and Earl Weaver, it got so bad the league kept Kaiser from umping Orioles games...I remember him throwing Eddie out in the first inning once for staring at him....they had argued the night before, Murray was ejected then too.

those were the days.

Yeah sometimes those umps get calls way off and it does piss you off. Some of them have big mouths so I would not doubt he said that. Weaver was great. Kaiser definitely held grudges so I believe it. Billy martin and kaiser hated each other. martin claimed kaiser challenged him to a fight after the game. kaiser once called a balk in a playoff game against the Red Sox and there was absolutely no balk. Nothing. Kaiser just loved to be in the spotlight. How can you call a balk in a huge situation for all the marbles when nobody saw it? Did Weaver go at it with kaiser and not be intimidated. Kaiser acted like he wanted to fight you.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

whats wrong with you.

:hangt

I already explained that I was not sure and to let Jman handle it. That is what I meant. I did not know but doubted the umps are a great factor though sometimes i am sure it helps to check those tendancies.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Another funny thing about Kaiser, he acted like he didnt even want to be there, with his expressionless calls, barely raising his arm etc. He was finally ran off when the umps went on strike that yr....

Kinda funny thinking back, the umps seemed to have a lot more power back then, now with the leagues interchangeable, they don't seem to have the same affect.

I can remember almost being afraid for Weaver, Kaiser looked like he was ready to eat Earl ...he was intimidating, the place use to go nuts when Earl left the dugout, it was a part of the experience of being there.

Billy Martin was another great one.

I wonder if Kaiser is still alive? He was actually much younger than he looked, but well over 300 lbs, former wrestler too....I was at a game way back when, when Big John Stud was sitting in the seats, he was friends with Kaiser from their wrestling days...at some point Stud went out onto the field between innings and he did a mock arguement with the Orioles Bird.

F ing Kaiser, he was something else....as was Ron Luciano, another Weaver nemesis.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Another funny thing about Kaiser, he acted like he didnt even want to be there, with his expressionless calls, barely raising his arm etc. He was finally ran off when the umps when on strike that yr....

Kinda funny thinking back, the umps seemed to have a lot more power back then, now with the leagues interchangeable, they don't seem to have the same affect.

I can remember almost being afraid for Weaver, Kaiser looked like he was ready to eat Earl ...he was intimidating, the place use to go nuts when Earl left the dugout, it was a part of the experience of being there.

Billy Martin was another great one.

I wonder if Kaiser is still alive? He was actually much younger than he looked, but well over 300 lbs, former wrestler too....I was at a game way back when, when Big John Stud was sitting in the seats, he was friends with Kaiser from their wrestling days...at some point Stud went out onto the field between innings and he did a mock arguement with the Orioles Bird.

F ing Kaiser, he was something else....as was Ron Luciano, another Weaver nemesis.

I remember Ron luciano and Weaver had big feuds. This was well publicized at the time. I remember at a game in Fenway that a guy was yelling at luciano and in the middle of an inning Luciano would give him the OK signal with his hand in a mock gesture. Funny as heck but never seen a MLB ump in the middle of an inning respond to a fan.

It has all changed. The managers do not want to argue as much and the umps are not as controversial. I have to believe the umps (union or whatever) told them to not be so challenging. For a while they were way out of hand. The managers too. There are no Weaver's or martins any more.

I knew Kaiser was a former wrestler as one time Jim Rice went to the mound after being hit (I think Dave Stieb hit him) and he flung people away who tried to stop him but kaiser grabbed Rice and almost knocked him down. Kaiser was very big but out of shape. You are right, he did not seem to really like his work and that showed. Boy he was so confrontational and it was not right. He acted like it was personal every time. It was about the game not fighting kaiser you fat bastard. kaiser in 1990's was voted the worst ump by the players in spring training. A trouble maker and a lousy ump is not a good combo. Earl Weaver could really manage. I love watching him poke his cap into the umps face.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I remember Ron luciano and Weaver had big feuds. This was well publicized at the time. I remember at a game in Fenway that a guy was yelling at luciano and in the middle of an inning Luciano would give him the OK signal with his hand in a mock gesture. Funny as heck but never seen a MLB ump in the middle of an inning respond to a fan.

It has all changed. The managers do not want to argue as much and the umps are not as controversial. I have to believe the umps (union or whatever) told them to not be so challenging. For a while they were way out of hand. The managers too. There are no Weaver's or martins any more.

I knew Kaiser was a former wrestler as one time Jim Rice went to the mound after being hit (I think Dave Stieb hit him) and he flung people away who tried to stop him but kaiser grabbed Rice and almost knocked him down. Kaiser was very big but out of shape. You are right, he did not seem to really like his work and that showed. Boy he was so confrontational and it was not right. He acted like it was personal every time. It was about the game not fighting kaiser you fat bastard. kaiser in 1990's was voted the worst ump by the players in spring training. A trouble maker and a lousy ump is not a good combo. Earl Weaver could really manage. I love watching him poke his cap into the umps face.

LMAO, I could have wrote this....Kaiser was a universal dickhead.

Good stuff Tom, those were good times in MLB, the game lacks the characters now....Weaver was incredible...we fans didn't really know any different, he was all I knew growing up, boy those were good times! It was like another element with Weaver, I swear it seemed like Weaver would go out there, argue a call , 18,000-24,000 would go nuts and the Orioles would then come back and win, it happened so often.

The '79-'83 years were very very very special. 12io4j2w90

Journeyman

EOG Master

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl-4FSRYagc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl-4FSRYagc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you ever see this Tom?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Kaiser shows up at the 50 sec mark...I may have been at this game!

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/kl-4FSRYagc&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

you ever see this Tom?

I think so but a long while ago. LOL. Weaver was funny. "You guys are here for one reason and that is to fuck us"....That is hilarious. He said that like 3 times. Kaiser was there, I think, and actually didn't stick his fat face in the middle. Weaver put on a great show, walking away and then coming back one more time, crowd going nuts. He was great, one of a kind.

I remember Billy Martin once going out to argue and he said to the ump, at least 15 straight times: "Your full of shit"...he just kept saying it everytime the ump tried to talk. It was great. "Your full of shit, your full of shit, your full of shit" and he wouldn't stop. Funny as heck thoug hWeaver here was classic.

Journeyman

EOG Master

classic stuff...looks like about 1979, I could possibly find the exact game if I looked, Flanagan started....note that is a 1st inning ejection!

that crew gave us fits.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

classic stuff...looks like about 1979, I could possibly find the exact game if I looked, Flanagan started....note that is a 1st inning ejection!

that crew gave us fits.

Kaiser was skinny for him and less argumentative..had to be early in his career like 79. Who was that ump? Was it palermo?

Journeyman

EOG Master

No wasn't Palermo, Palermo was another one Weaver really battled, they had a classic arguement one night in Chicago where they started pointing index fingers at one another making contact with them. LOL!

That was Tom Haller, he was around a long time too.

Steve Palermo was a great ump IMO.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

:cheers
No wasn't Palermo, Palermo was another one Weaver really battled, they had a classic arguement one night in Chicago where they started pointing index fingers at one another making contact with them. LOL!

That was Tom Haller, he was around a long time too.

Steve Palermo was a great ump IMO.

Yes, he was. He was the head of umps I believe or something like that. He got shot and paralyzed trying to be a hero by stopping a robbery I think.

"You guys are here for one reason and that is to fuck us".....

Journeyman

EOG Master

Remember Cosell sending Weaver off on ABC that Sunday (his last game before coming back in 1985) after the loss to Milwaukee on the final day of the season, losing to Mil by one game!

I was at the 4 game series, to this day the best series I was ever at, I was always there back then....that was a very sad ending to an amazing month.

I saw the tape many times later on....and can still hear Cosell saying "Good Bye Earl, you will be missed" chilling memories.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Palermo still works for MLB, never walked without help again...he was still a relatively young ump when he was shot.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Remember Cosell sending Weaver off on ABC that Sunday (his last game before coming back in 1985) after the loss to Milwaukee on the final day of the season, losing to Mil by one game!

I was at the 4 game series, to this day the best series I was ever at, I was always there back then....that was a very sad ending to an amazing month.

I saw the tape many times later on....and can still hear Cosell saying "Good Bye Earl, you will be missed" chilling memories.

No, I did not remember the Cosell send off. Those are emotional moments because we were young and the end of a great team and legends of those teams. Those linger forever.

In 78 when we lost to the yanks in the playoff game, that was one of the most painful moments ever. The pain lasted for weeks. It was like a death in the family.