Are pitchers minor league stats usable for capping in the majors?

Have seen some vastly different opinions on this subject. I am skeptical, but could be convinced with the right argument. A great example would be Matt Palmer today.

Re: Are pitchers minor league stats usable for capping in the majors?

I'm not a big baseball person, but to me it seems that Minor League stats may be deceivingly high due to the fact that the hitters in the minors probably not as powerful as those in the majors. But what the hell do I know?

I'm not a big baseball person, but to me it seems that Minor League stats may be deceivingly high due to the fact that the hitters in the minors probably not as powerful as those in the majors. But what the hell do I know?

You know how to agitate a lot of posters. Me not being one of them. Without a doubt the quality of batters faced is way below a major league lineup, except for the A's.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Swede- If you are going to respond to a sports thread, at least have your boobs in your avatar please... thanks...

mofome

Banned

there are 9000 stats you could possibly look at, so i wont go into reciting each one but:

semi-useful can be:
bb/9
k/9
baa
opsa
babip

You know how to agitate a lot of posters. Me not being one of them. Without a doubt the quality of batters faced is way below a major league lineup, except for the A's.

9 times out of 10, I don't mean to agitate. I take a lot of crap on mostly male boards. Some days I roll with the punches, some days I punch back. oij213490

Swede- If you are going to respond to a sports thread, at least have your boobs in your avatar please... thanks...

You mean that the place my boobs will be every Sunday doesn't count?:+clueless

there are 9000 stats you could possibly look at, so i wont go into reciting each one but:

semi-useful can be:
bb/9
k/9
baa
opsa
babip

To me semi useful is like semi pregnant, they either are useful or they are not. Again, different parks, different caliber hitters, which means holes galore for pitchers. I think the biggest jump there is, is from AAA to Majors. Even the parks and crowds are vastly different. Some guys bounce along their entire careers in AA and AAA, get called up to bigs and implode. Much like Palmer did.

mofome

Banned

To me semi useful is like semi pregnant, they either are useful or they are not. Again, different parks, different caliber hitters, which means holes galore for pitchers. I think the biggest jump there is, is from AAA to Majors. Even the parks and crowds are vastly different. Some guys bounce along their entire careers in AA and AAA, get called up to bigs and implode. Much like Palmer did.

a lot of teams keep their better prospects in aa for some reason, im not exactly sure why, but it seems to be a trend. in the majors the parks are different, the mounds are different, the umps are different, and the bats are much better of course. that said, you can get a good read on how good a kids arm is when you look at things like k/9 and ha/9. you can also look and see which kids have had trouble with control and that can help you cap a game with a kid who is just coming up.

I still am sitting on the fence here. That gap from AAA to the bigs is just too vast. Especially with pitching stats. You have a lot of guys batting sub .200 that get up to the bigs and bat sub .100. I could strike them out. They might not be able to hit off a T. Plus the mental aspects. Pitching in front of 2,000 is way different from pitching in front of 50,000. And the pressure of fucking up and being sent back down. Really looking forward to Palmer's 2nd start. That should tell a lot.

I would have to say they are. Thats the reason I bet SF +1.5 for 200/250 figured he would have a better outing this time. Now I just hope the bullpen can keep it going.

Well you may win Ruca, but those stats have a lot less to do with it then the Giants playing better than the Marlins right now. Palmer had been in the farms 6 years now for a reason. He was leading the PCL averaging a K an inning also. His bb/K ratio was also strong. Now it has shown his Major stats, 7.1 innings, 2K 7bb. Nothing even close to his minor league stats. Congrats on your bet, but those minor league stats have nothing to do with it.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

there used to be a poster here who put a lot of faith and emotion into the viability of minor league stats. i forget his name.

Rookie Project

EOG Member

Frog, I mean Anton, you really should try to read a Bill James book or two. You might learn something.

goodcall

EOG Senior Member

definitely take a look at some of Bill James' stuff...here's his wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_James

an excerpt from an interview:

http://www.slate.com/id/2084193/

Moneyball Redux

Slate talks to the man who revolutionized baseball.

By James Surowiecki
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2003

One of your most important insights is the idea that minor league batting statistics predict major league batting performance as reliably as major league statistics do. There have been certain players?think of 1980s players like Mike Stenhouse, Doug Frobel, Brad Komminsk?who seemed as though they would be terrific hitters but never really made it in the big leagues. Did they not get enough of a shot? Are they outliers? Or is there such a thing as a Four A (too good for Triple A, not good enough for the majors) hitter?

Well, no, there is no such thing as a Four A hitter. That idea, as I understand it, envisions a "gap" between the majors and Triple A, with some players who fall into the gap. There is no such gap. In fact, there is a very significant overlap between the major leagues and Triple A. Many of the players in Triple A are better than many of the players in the majors.

The three examples you cite are three very different cases. Stenhouse never had 180 at bats in a major league season, so one would be hard pressed to argue that he got a full trial.
Frobel is a different [instance], in which I think there probably wasn't a real strong case that he was a good hitter to begin with.

Frobel hit .251 at Buffalo in '81, hit .261 at Portland?PacificCoast League?in 1982. We would expect, based on those seasons, that he would hit .200, .210 in the major leagues, with a pretty ghastly strikeout/walk ratio?which is what he did. Then he had the one good year at Hawaii in 1983, looked like a better hitter, and fooled some of us into thinking that he was better than he was. But ... it was one year, 378 at bats, of performance that isn't that impressive. It wasn't enough, in retrospect, to conclude that he was actually a good hitter.

[Then] there are some players whose level of skill changes?drops?between two adjacent seasons or between two seasons separated by two or three years, usually because of an injury but sometimes because of some other factor. Frank Thomas is not the same hitter now that he was a few years ago; Tino Martinez isn't; Mo Vaughn isn't.

When those "disconnects" happen between major league seasons, we ascribe them to sensible causes?aging, injury, conditioning, motivation, luck, etc. Comparing major league seasons to minor league seasons, occasionally you get the same disconnect. Sometimes a guy simply loses it before he establishes himself in the major leagues. That's what happened to Komminsk, I think?he shot his cannons in the minor leagues.

I'm trying to make two general points here. Point 1: When there is a disconnect between a player's major league and minor league records, some people want to ascribe this to some mystical difference between major league baseball and minor league baseball. Unless you can say specifically what that difference is, this is akin to magical thinking?asserting that there is some magical "major league ability," which is distinct from the ability to play baseball. The same sorts of disconnects happen routinely in the middle of major league careers?not often as a percentage, but they happen. Everybody who plays rotisserie baseball knows that some guys you paid big money for because they were good last year will stink this year. It is not necessary or helpful to create some magical "major league ability" to explain those occasional disconnects between major league and minor league seasons.

Second point ... the creation of new knowledge or new understanding does not make the people who possess that new knowledge invulnerable to old failings. I can't predict reliably who is going to be successful in the major leagues in 2004, even if we stick with the field of players who have been in the major leagues since 2000. I can't do that, because there are limits to my knowledge, and there are flaws in my implementation of what I know. The principle that minor league hitting stats predict major league hitting stats as well as major league hitting stats predict major league hitting stats can be perfectly true?and yet still not enable me or you to reliably predict who will be successful in the major leagues in 2004, because I still have limits to my knowledge and flaws in the way I try to implement that knowledge.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Have seen some vastly different opinions on this subject. I am skeptical, but could be convinced with the right argument. A great example would be Matt Palmer today.

You are skeptical now? You just used them the other day when evaluating the home and away splits of the Oakland lefty in the minors, thinking you knew that would translate to the bigs. Now skeptical. What changed your mind Frog?

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

they are worthless, a crap shoot to try and project them at the mlb level.

look at sea's ryan feierbend. his minor league numbers look 'bipolar' in his mlb starts.

this kid was dealing in the minors with a 7-1 record & 2.04 era in 13 starts at tacoma

and yet once again he could not go more than 3 innings in the bigs, as he was crushed last sunday by the twins.

his last three mlb starts have lasted 3 innings or less.

luckily he gets to face another rag-arm in gio gonzalez tonight, i played the over 9 in that baby.

but to apply fire-can-feieibend's minor league statistics to a projected start for the m's would be asinine. he has provided all of the proof that his stuff is not good enough 'yet' at the mlb level.