LET'S BREAK 'EM DOWN: Lions at Falcons (Week 1 NFL)

Re: LET'S BREAK 'EM DOWN: Lions at Falcons (Week 1 NFL)

FALCONS NOTES

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/atlanta-falcons/teamreport

CB Domonique Foxworth acquired in a trade with Denver on Tuesday went through his first practice with the Falcons on Wednesday. He plans to pitch in against the Detroit Lions at 1 p.m. in the Georgia Dome.

<!-- FOXBITE --> The former Maryland standout is going through a crash course in learning the defense. He could possibly be used as the nickel (five defensive backs) or dime (six defensive backs) back. Foxworth has the most experience of the cornerbacks on the roster. Second-year men Chris Houston and Brent Grimes are expected to start.

If Houston or Grimes falter, Foxworth is a candidate to eventually move i=
nto the starting lineup. He's an unrestricted free agent after the season.

PLAYER NOTES
--FS Thomas DeCoud was limited in practice Wednesday because of a sprained ankle but is expected to play this week.
--C/G Alex Stepanovich did not practice because of a lower back injury and is not expected to play.
--LB Coy Wire did not practice because of an ankle sprain and is not expected to play.
--SS Jamaal Fudge was claimed off waivers and will play on several special teams. He was a top gunner in punt coverage for Jacksonville.
--RB Jason Snelling with take some snaps at backup fullback with the release of Corey McIntyre.

GAME PLAN: The Falcons must run the ball in order to keep pressure off of Matt Ryan, who's making his first start in the NFL. They will have to pick some spots early for Ryan to pass in order to keep the Lions honest. Otherwise, they'll just pack eight in the box and get after running backs Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Lions RB Rudi Johnson vs. Falcons LB Curtis Lofton -- Look for Johnson, claimed off waiver from the Bengals on Tuesday, and the Lions to test the middle of the Falcons defense. Lofton, a second-year player from Oklahoma, will make his first career start.
Falcons OT Sam Baker vs. Lions DE Dewayne White: Baker, a rookie, will make his first NFL start and face a solid veteran. Baker played well in the exhibition season and had good games against Tennessee's Kyle Vander Bosch and Jacksonville's Paul Spicer.

INJURY IMPACT: LB Coy Wire (ankle) could play but likely won't be near 80 percent.
--C/G Alex Stepanovich (back) not expected to play
--FS Thomas DeCoud (ankle) has made great strides and could see some special teams action.

LIONS NOTES

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67045&type=InsideSlant

Strategy and Personnel

The Lions enter their season opener with three new running backs. Two have never carried the ball in a real NFL game. Only one has carried the ball in any type of game for the Lions.

<!-- FOXBITE --> Rookie Kevin Smith is expected to start Sunday at Atlanta. He is the only one who went through training camp and exhibitions with the Lions, and the Lions are excited about how well he fits their zone scheme.

Veteran Rudi Johnson is listed as a backup. He might get a few carries, but he needs to learn the offense. Once he gets comfortable, if he stays healthy, he should challenge Smith for carries.

Rookie Marcus Thomas is the third back. The Lions claimed him off waivers from San Diego. He also needs to learn the offense. He could help the Lions' coverage teams immediately, however.

PLAYER NOTES
--TE Dan Campbell, who had elbow and hamstring issues in the preseason, practiced Wednesday but didn't participate fully. It is unclear how much he will play Sunday at Atlanta, if at all.

--S Kalvin Pearson gave up No. 32 to new RB Rudi Johnson and took No. 24.

--CB Leigh Bodden has switched from No. 30 to No. 28, the number he wore last year at Cleveland. It used to belong to RB Tatum Bell, who was released.

--DT Langston Moore is not expected to start, but he could spell DT Chuck Darby significantly Sunday.

--WR Shaun McDonald is expected to return punts.

--WR Mike Furrey is expected to return kicks.

GAME PLAN: The game plan will be pretty similar every week this season. The Lions will try to establish the run to open up the field for wide receivers Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams and to keep the defense off the field. Now that CB DeAngelo Hall is gone and playing for the Oakland Raiders, the Falcons might have a hard time matching up with Johnson and Williams. The Lions will want to take advantage of a shaky Atlanta line and get some heat on rookie quarterback Matt Ryan in his first NFL start.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Lions WR Calvin Johnson vs. Atlanta secondary - Johnson seems on the verge of a breakout season. If the Lions force the Falcons to respect the run, the Falcons won't be able to double-team Johnson every down. And if they give him single coverage, they have no one who can match up with him. Johnson has recovered from the back injury that bothered him much of last season, and he looks ready to dominate.

Lions defensive line vs. Atlanta offensive line: Neither unit is well-regarded, but the Falcons' offensive line isn't impressive, and the Lions have a deep, lean unit that can be disruptive. If the Lions can put some heat on rookie QB Matt Ryan, his first NFL start could turn into a long day. If he rushes throws, the Lions' revamped secondary will have a chance to make some plays.

INJURY IMPACT: The Lions' only injury of note is to TE Dan Campbell, who didn't play in the preseason because of elbow and hamstring problems. Campbell is a veteran who doesn't need much time to prepare, but he didn't go through a full practice Wednesday, and that isn't a good sign. If he can't play, the Lions lose a strong blocker for their new zone running attack.

http://www.coastalcourier.com/news/article/8385/

Key Match-up: Falcons secondary vs Athletic Lions receivers

Listen to news out of Detroit this week and you'll hear of a team committed to establishing a running game. But in Atlanta, fans are hearing more about a wide receiver's homecoming.

Lions wideout Calvin Johnson returns to his home state this weekend as the Falcons open the season. Johnson played college ball down the street from the Georgia Dome at Georgia Tech and is one of the most athletic receivers in the league. His teammate, wide receiver Roy Williams, could be a close second.

The duo combined for 1,594 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season. Both are tall, strong receivers that like to out-muscle their opponents.

So, while the running game is definitely on the minds of the Falcons defense, stopping Johnson and Williams is the paramount concern for defensive backs like Chris Houston and Brent Grimes.

"They are definitely two good receivers," Grimes said. "Everyone knows what they can do. I'm just going out there to play the game plan, try to make some plays and have some fun out there."

Houston will enter his second year as a starter Sunday. He made his way to the NFL with speed and instincts but will have to lean heavily on the physical element of his game against the Lions.

"You want to try to get hands on them and disrupt them the whole game," Houston said. "We just want to be aggressive. That's the whole mentality. With the big guys you don't want to give them free releases."

Grimes, who is regarded as one of the more athletic players on the team, got his hands on several passes in the preseason. He didn't come down with an interception but did break up two passes in the end zone.
Though his quickness can come in handy, Grimes is careful not to lean too much on his physical gifts.

It will take a little bit of everything to stop the Lions through the air.
"Athleticism can only take you so far," Grimes said. "You have to work on your techniques and know what you're supposed to be doing and work the game plan. You can't rely on athleticism all the time."

FOXWORTH WELCOMED

Newly-acquired cornerback Domonique Foxworth said his new teammates made him feel welcome from the moment he arrived at Falcons headquarters.

"I'm excited. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to play and I think the most important thing is to gain the respect of my teammates as soon as possible," said Foxworth, a four-year veteran that was traded from Denver to Atlanta on Tuesday. "I feel really comfortable around here. The guys have accepted me which is nice and I'm getting to know the coaches."

Foxworth, 5-11, 180 pounds, was a third round selection by the Broncos in the 2005 NFL Draft. In 48 career games, he has totaled 166 tackles (138 solo), three interceptions, 34 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. Foxworth was actively involved in the community in Denver and was recognized as the Broncos' Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award winner in 2007.

The Broncos told him a trade was in the works Monday morning. By 6 a.m. Tuesday he was on a flight to Atlanta. A trade was then made official and Foxworth was given a new play book.

"I definitely think I'll fit in," he said. "I'm a versatile player; I've played a lot of different positions. We've run a couple systems in Denver. The sooner I learn it the better off I'll be."

Foxworth will wear No. 24 with the Falcons.

from the same article as above.......

LOFTON IN THE MIDDLE
Rookie linebacker Curtis Lofton is expected to get the start Sunday at middle linebacker. He was in the starting lineup for the last two preseason games but he's not getting overly confident about the regular season.
Instead, he's taking the bookworm approach.

"It's kind of crazy but I'm just taking it one day at a time and getting in as much extra film as possible and preparing for the opponent," he said. "I just have to be ready for all the adjustments and calls. I'm getting ready to make calls and be a leader out there."
NFL.com credits Lofton with a team-high 17 solo tackles during the preseason. He also recorded one forced fumble, a sack and a fumble recovery.

"I tell him to stay focus and don't let anything get him out of his comfort zone," linebacker Michael Boley said when asked about Lofton's starting role. "I think he's going to do all right. I think he's a good listener. He doesn't really get a big head about too much."

RYAN'S READY
Rookie quarterback Matt Ryan got his first "professional" start out of the way two weeks ago against the Tennessee Titans. Now he's zeroing in on his first regular season game.

"Everybody's excited for our opener this weekend," he said. "I think we put in a lot of hard work over the course of the off-season. Now we're ready to tee it up and get ready to go."

Ryan led the Falcons with 294 passing yards and two touchdowns in the preseason. It was a good start and he plans on building on success but he's also prepared to face the inevitable valleys through the season.

"There's going to be some series where you play well and there's going to be some series that you don't," he said Wednesday. "You can't get too high or too low during the ride throughout the season. You have to stay even keeled and keep grinding. That's what I've tried to do through every level I've played at and I don't think that's going to change in the NFL."

With the Lions come plenty of questions

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/SPORTS01/809040406/1048

So, are these the same old Lions? Or maybe just a variation on the same old theme?

It's a question Lions fans have to ask every season, isn't it?

And, as usual, we have a few more to ponder, too:

• They came close last season, so will we see the first regular-season blackout at Ford Field? Actually, if it's a blackout, guess we won't see it, will we?

• Who'll win more games, the Lions or Michigan?

• Why does the NFL insist on playing that fourth exhibition game?

• If the Lions run more, does that mean Jon Kitna won't get sacked 50 or 60 times? And maybe not fumble as much?

• Calvin Johnson, Superstar -- is that a rush to judgment, just like some calling him a bust last season was?

• Will the Lions have added incentive to win the opener at Atlanta, after the Falcons cut you-know-who? You know, something for Joey!

• You know, since it looks like Mike Martz might have been right about Tatum Bell, what else was he right about?

• With Martz gone, will Rod Marinelli finally get more TV face time on the sideline? (Assuming games aren't blacked out.)

• Also with Martz gone, who's this year's scapegoat going to be?

• Hey, they were 4-0 in exhibition games -- but seriously, after last year's 6-2 start and 1-7 flop, what's it going to take to get you to believe in them without fear of getting burned again?

• 8-8?
Pick 'em

What some analysts are predicting for the Lions:

• Paul Kuharsky, ESPN.com: "A simplified offense and an emphasis on the run game are good ideas. A better stable of running backs would have been, too." Fourth.

• Kevin Seifert, ESPN.com: "Slowly, Rod Marinelli is effecting a culture change and is making the Lions a tougher team. It's not clear how many wins that will translate to, but the Lions are going in the right direction." Third.

• Don Banks, SI.com: "The Lions didn't do much to inspire much buzz this off-season in terms of personnel moves, and I can't find reason to change their slot from last year's 7-9 finish." Third.

Kevin Smith, Lions rookie running back, predicts that not only will they make the playoffs, they'll win a playoff game. This season. And he also set a personal goal of 20 touchdowns -- which would break Barry Sanders' team record of 17 in 1991.

• Of NFL.com's four forecasters, only one -- former Freeper Thomas George -- thinks the Lions will make the playoffs, via a wild card. George also says Kitna will be the NFC North's top offensive player. (Everybody else had Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson.)

• Kitna: He will be disappointed, as usual, if the Lions don't win 10 games.

Bottom line: They can all say what they will, but why should this season be different from any other? Nobody can predict what the Lions will do.

Detroit has my play here Atlanta has a rookie QB and a weak D although foxworth was solid here in Denver he cant win the thing himself. Detroit to cover Easily

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Detroit has my play here Atlanta has a rookie QB and a weak D although foxworth was solid here in Denver he cant win the thing himself. Detroit to cover Easily

I'd like to do that but i know better than to play Detroit as a ROAD FAVE! NO WAY IN HELL I want the Falcons but knowing their history asking Detroit to cover as a Road Fave is just asking for trouble

Papillon

EOG Member

I'd like to do that but i know better than to play Detroit as a ROAD FAVE! NO WAY IN HELL I want the Falcons but knowing their history asking Detroit to cover as a Road Fave is just asking for trouble

I would normally be with you but the equation changes when Detroit is playing on the road in a DOME. When they win on the road it's usually in a dome.

not sure I can say I trust either team here but The Falcons have no pass rush and a pedestrian secondary and the Lions have a decent QB, two big fast and strong WR's and now a determined RB in Rudi Johnson.

The Falcons also with a rookie QB, a good running game though but questionable line.

If I'm playing this I take Detroit without a thought

I would normally be with you but the equation changes when Detroit is playing on the road in a DOME. When they win on the road it's usually in a dome.

Good point Papillion

sm.time.gmblr

EOG Enthusiast

detroits d is incrementally better...and also in the second year of the new system.. Look for them to win 27-16

I give the Lions the edge in the trenches as well, on both sides of the football

Making Detroit -3 a PLAY :3drugby: