UNC/V'Tech thoughts ???

Beamer says this UNC is the best team the Hokies have faced so far

Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer is giving a lot of credit to the team trying to unseat the Hokies this Saturday as the Coastal Division favorites. For the second time this week, Beamer said UNC is the best team they will have played.

Asked what makes UNC better than No. 15 East Carolina, which beat Virginia Tech, 27-22, in the season opener, Beamer said the Tar Heels are the total package.

"I think just from an overall team standpoint, offensively they've got it all," Beamer said. "They've got the big back ... you look at their receivers, their quarterback is playing well, they're very solid up front.

You look at them defensively, every position they're athletic. And I think a lot of East Carolina. [Quarterback Patrick] Pinkney and all those guys, I think a lot of them, but I think this is the best football team."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc

Re: UNC/V'Tech thoughts ???

Stakes are high in the ACC Coastal; V'Tech has owned series so far

The Hokies have a 4-0 record against UNC since they joined the ACC, and are looking to make it 5-0 when they face the Tar Heels at 3:30 p.m. in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Virginia Tech was favored to win the Coastal Division, and North Carolina picked to finish second. After beating Rutgers for their first out-of-state road win in 20 tries, though, UNC asserted itself as equally if not more talented than the Hokies, who are still searching for playmakers on offense.

Whoever wins this game isn't guaranteed the Coastal Crown, but it will certainly make one of them the frontrunner for it.

"This is a very important game for us," Wilson said. "It's the first game in ACC play and as you know, Virginia Tech has pretty much dominated the ACC since they've been here. If we can get a victory over them, that would say a lot about the direction our program is headed in."

UNC coach Butch Davis said the hard work at practice going into the Rutgers game and the dividends it paid are just "scratching the surface."

This game jumped out at me from the first time I saw the lines...I like NC -2 in this spot...at home..program is on the rise. Really might be one of my big plays of the week. I like NC-2 :cheers

At first glance, I REALLY like UNC as well Hogan. Gonna take a closer look in the morning when I have some "fresher eyes". Been gone much of the day and I'm running on fumes at the moment.

I'll keep an eye out for your plays this weekend 91023i2ndw;l

Take a look and get back...and game I'm looking at also is The OSU vs Troy St...Like Troy State. See ya back tonight 91023i2ndw;l

Think the difference is gonna be the offensive side of the ball for UNC. Both teams have looked pretty solid on D, but V'Tech's offense is YUCK

Unless "Beamer Ball" comes into play 2 or 3 times during the course of the game, thinking UNC wins this one

Still looking before I pull the trigger though

High Times

EOG Master

North Carolina wins this game and it won't be close.

Years and years of revenge might help also as having the better team for the first time.

This game jumped out at me from the first time I saw the lines...I like NC -2 in this spot...at home..program is on the rise. Really might be one of my big plays of the week. I like NC-2 :cheers

Good enough for Hogan good enough for me he knows that conf

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

I can't see taking UNC as of now....Hell they struggled vs Mc chees State and beat up a HORRID Rutgers team....Tech still has the superior athletes BY FAR and now that Glennon is out of the mix, I can see Tech winning by 10

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I can't see taking UNC as of now....Hell they struggled vs Mc chees State and beat up a HORRID Rutgers team....Tech still has the superior athletes BY FAR and now that Glennon is out of the mix, I can see Tech winning by 10

BINGO

Gimme Tech here to win SU

Injury report

UNC
PROBABLE
Cooter Arnold, WR, ankle
Charles Brown, DB, ankle
Bobby Rome, RB, ankle
LeCount Fantroy, DB, hand
QUESTIONABLE
Linwan Euwell, LB, thigh
Vince Jacobs, DL, abdomen
Brett Long, WR, thigh
Chase Rice, LB, wrist,
Scott Mincey, OL, ankle
DOUBTFUL
Darius Massenburg, DL, knee

VIRGINIA TECH

Blake DeChristopher, OL, leg -- probable
Barrett Mears, C, ankle -- out

Things to watch for:

Virginia Tech's passing game: If you're watching it, that means it's there, unlike last weekend. Tyrod Taylor only threw the ball 14 times against Georgia Tech and has a tendency to pull the ball down. How much has Taylor and his pass protection improved in the past week?

UNC's linebackers: Brandon Tate has stolen the spotlight on this team, and deservedly so, but don't miss the play of linebackers Bruce Carter and Quan Sturdivant. They both had interceptions at Rutgers.

Virginia Tech (2-1) at North Carolina (2-0)

The Sports Network
DATE & TIME: Saturday, September 20th, 3:30 p.m. (et)
FACTS & STATS: Site: Kenan Stadium (60,000) -- Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Television:ABC. Home Record: VT 2-0, UNC 1-0. Away Record: VT 0-0, UNC 1-0. Neutral Record: VT 0-1, UNC 0-0. Conference Record: VT 1-0, UNC 0-0. Series Record: Virginia Tech leads, 15-9-6.

GAME NOTES: The North Carolina Tar Heels seek their first 3-0 start in more than a decade this weekend, as they open their ACC slate against the Virginia Tech Hokies at Kenan Stadium. The Tar Heels are off to a fast start following a sub par 4-8 campaign in 2007, as they have won their first two outings of the season for the first time since 2000. After kicking off the 2008 season with a lackluster 35-27 win over a FCS opponent in McNeese State, UNC hit the road and shellacked Big East foe Rutgers, 44-12, on September 11th. The win at Rutgers was significant not only because it came against a noteworthy opponent, but because it was the program's first victory outside the state of North Carolina since 2002. The Tar Heels are now in search of their first 3-0 start since opening the 1997 season with eight straight victories.

As for Virginia Tech, it has rebounded from a season-opening loss to East Carolina (27-22) by winning each of its past two outings. The team first downed FCS member Furman (24-7) before opening its ACC schedule with a 20-17 victory over Georgia Tech last weekend. The Hokies now head back out to the road, where they own a 15-1 record in ACC games since joining the league in 2004. If that wasn't impressive enough, Tech is also a perfect 13-0 in conference road openers under head coach Frank Beamer. The Hokies even own a 15-9-6 edge in the head-to-head series with UNC and that includes a unblemished 4-0 mark as ACC foes.

Dustin Keys hit a pair of field goals in the fourth quarter, including the game-winner with 4:37 left to go, lifting VT to a 20-17 victory over Georgia Tech. The field goals accounted for all of the second half scoring for the Hokies, who used 199 rushing yards to open ACC play with a win. Darren Evans led the charge, as he toted 19 times for 94 yards and a score. It was a solid effort by Evans, who leads Tech with 203 yards and three scores on the ground this season. Tyrod Taylor got the nod under center last weekend and he added 74 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries. He only threw for 48 yards, but Taylor's mobility has been a real asset to this team and he showed that by leading the Hokies with 112 rushing yards in a win over Furman. Virginia Tech as a team, isn't explosive by any means, but if it can continue to average 188.0 rushing ypg for the season, this offense should be effective.

The Hokies weren't the only team to find success on the ground last weekend, as their defense was abused for 278 rushing yards by the Yellow Jackets. The defense only gave up 109 passing yards to GT, but that was mostly due to the fact it couldn't stop the run. Virginia Tech though, did make enough big plays to keep Georgia Tech from scoring at a high rate, as it generated three turnovers, giving it seven forced miscues for the season. Brett Warren had 15 stops and a forced fumble for the Hokies, who are giving up 334.3 total ypg thus far. With the solid effort, Warren now tops the roster with 26 stops for the season.

The Tar Heels opened some eyes with their impressive win over Rutgers last week, racking up four offensive touchdowns behind 378 total yards. UNC gained 157 yards on the ground and 221 through the air, while committing no turnovers. It was an even better performance than the opener, when UNC went for 163 rushing yards and 221 passing, but with a pair of turnovers against a much lesser opponent in McNeese State. T.J. Yates was sensational in the win last week, converting 14-of-22 pass attempts for 221 yards and three scores. It was certainly a nice follow up for Yates, who passed for the same amount of yards and two touchdowns in the opener. Hakeem Nicks hauled in six passes for 63 yards and a pair of scores last week, building off his six-catch, 110-yard effort in the opener. Brandon Tate, who had four catches for 93 yards and a score against McNeese State, got involved with four receptions for 138 yards and a touchdown versus Rutgers.

Defensively, UNC was a little shaky in the opener, but this unit responded nicely last weekend against Rutgers. After allowing 391 yards to McNeese State, the Tar Heels limited Rutgers to 383 yards. The unit also picked off four passes last week and that includes one that was returned 66 yards for a touchdown by Bruce Carter. Charles Brown also had an interception, to go along with 10 stops, while Quan Sturdivant added seven tackles and a pick of his own. Sturdivant paced the team with 11 tackles in the opener.
This is a big test for the Tar Heels, who haven't had this good of a start in quite some time. Virginia Tech however, is stingy on defense and that is going to cause some problems for UNC. Neither team should score much in this one, but go with the Hokies, as they have been able to run the ball successfully of late and are perfect in conference road openers under Beamer.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Virginia Tech 20, North Carolina 10
09/17 10:27:09 ET

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf...&page=cfoot/scores/live/preview.aspx?id=20697