Best player in the NHL: Crosby or Ovie?

inBaldweTrust

EOG Addicted
Re: Best player in the NHL: Crosby or Ovie?

Ovies a goal scorer...Crosbys a playmaker...yes ovie gets assists but there garbage...They are both phenominal players...but Crosby gets the nod

mofome

Banned

ovie is 30 times faster and htis people. cros is a punk

Zetterberg hands down best all around player in the league

not even an argument

mofome

Banned

hines, how the f do you know something about everything.

:+clueless

Anyone who thinks this is a no-contest in favor of Crosby is a fucking crackhead.

Ovechkin is like the Michael Jordan of hockey, while Crosby is Magic Johnson. Not a perfect example, but the closest I can come up with. Ovie is the most talented scorer in the league; Crosby has an all-around game that's matched by none.

Qtip

EOG Addicted

Anyone who thinks this is a no-contest in favor of Crosby is a fucking crackhead.

Ovechkin is like the Michael Jordan of hockey, while Crosby is Magic Johnson. Not a perfect example, but the closest I can come up with. Ovie is the most talented scorer in the league; Crosby has an all-around game that's matched by none.

Here's a better example that's already been mentioned by others in different threads. Crosby is like Gretzky and Ovechkin is like Lemieux.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Not a very good comparison. Lemieux and Gretzky is a better one.

And Gretzky was better. Passing is more important in hockey. You can't isolate and go 1-1 like you can in the NBA.

Lemieux was 100x the passer that Ovechkin is. It is a poor example in that regard.

However, where the example does work is that Gretzky was on a fantastic team (like Crosby is now) whereas Lemieux was not on as good of a team for his first 5-6 years (like Ovechkin now).

FWIW, I am not convinced that Malkin won't prove himself to be better than both.

Also, I will get lambasted for this, but if not for injuries I have little doubt that Lemieux was a better hockey player than Gretzky. Gretzky had the luxury of a badass team through his prime while Lemieux only was in his prime with a good team for two years before injuries derailed him.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Also, I will get lambasted for this, but if not for injuries I have little doubt that Lemieux was a better hockey player than Gretzky. Gretzky had the luxury of a badass team through his prime while Lemieux only was in his prime with a good team for two years before injuries derailed him.

But, isn't staying healthy part of being great?

Qtip

EOG Addicted

Hines, I agree with you about Lemieux being 100X the passer than Ovechkin, but at this point in his career Crosby is no Gretzky either.

Also, Lemieux had as much talent as any player in history. He used to have a horrible work ethic early in his career. I believe he was a smoker when he got drafted by the Pens. I know that he was one of the most out of shape athletes on the team during his first training camp. It's funny because I used to hear stuff about Ovechkin was a horrible practice player during his rookie year with the Caps...very lackadasical like Mario was early in his career.

Qtip, I agree that Crosby is no Gretzky (and I don't think he ever will be).....I personally think that Malkin has the brightest future of them all. The stuff I saw in the regular season last year was great and people trash him just because he was exhausted for the playoffs and didn't perform so well.

Think Ovie is a tremendous player and the deadliest gunner in the league.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Nah, Gale Sayers was great and he only played like five seasons. Earl Campbell IMO was one of the Top 5 RBs ever and he was only effective for 4 seasons.

Maybe Sayers was brilliant and not great. Maybe great is reserved for players who can actually play and not players who we can only just imagine what 'might have been' had they been able to stay on the field.