How often do you just bet the moneyline rather than take +2.5 or less??

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
Since the beginning of the 2007 football season, I have never taken the 2.5 points or less. Rather, I have always taken the moneyline when betting the underdog. I'm sure I'll eventually get burned, but I have yet to lose a bet because I took the moneyline rather than the points.

There are times when I'll take the moneyline when a team might be getting more than 2.5 points. Tonight is one of those times, as I like Indy straight up. Generally I might split my bet, half on the moneyline, half taking the points. (Not tonight, I love indy). Obviously in these cases I've been burned more than once.

Like I said, I'm gonna get burned sooner or later, but the extra $$ I've already made will more than make up for a lost bet or two down the road.

Would love to know the percentage of games where the spread (when at 2.5 or less) didn't factor into the outcome for those who wagered on either side. Probably a stat out there somewhere regarding this, but I don't know where.

WVU

EOG Master
Re: How often do you just bet the moneyline rather than take +2.5 or less??

I almost always do, and yes I get fucked because of it. I wise man once said "the points don't matter"

Apple

Banned

I've bought up to +3 -120 and its saved me a few times..

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I almost always do, and yes I get fucked because of it. I wise man once said "the points don't matter"

Who said that that was wise? Ofcourse, they matter.

munson15

I want winners...

Since the beginning of the 2007 football season, I have never taken the 2.5 points or less. Rather, I have always taken the moneyline when betting the underdog. I'm sure I'll eventually get burned, but I have yet to lose a bet because I took the moneyline rather than the points.

There are times when I'll take the moneyline when a team might be getting more than 2.5 points. Tonight is one of those times, as I like Indy straight up. Generally I might split my bet, half on the moneyline, half taking the points. (Not tonight, I love indy). Obviously in these cases I've been burned more than once.

Like I said, I'm gonna get burned sooner or later, but the extra $$ I've already made will more than make up for a lost bet or two down the road.

Would love to know the percentage of games where the spread (when at 2.5 or less) didn't factor into the outcome for those who wagered on either side. Probably a stat out there somewhere regarding this, but I don't know where.
I don't have the actual numbers handy, but I researched this once and in the NFL, it is definitely profitable to take the ML rather than the points when the spread is under a FG.

I think you can generally be better off with the money line but you have to look and make sure you are not getting screwed too badly on the odds. It's best to check the Pinnacle drop down menus and try having an idea what those half points between 2.5 and 0.5 are worth to them.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i hope the points dont come into play tonight :cocktail

Was it "points don't matter" or "points don't mather" :+clueless

2.5 doesn't matter in pros, but it could in college because of the OT rules.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

that boxslayer thread might have been the best ever

why is this not attaching!

I do it a lot in NFL.

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

The only way to find out is by keeping meticulous records. You can then ascertain how you would have done betting the money line as opposed to the pointspread.

skrtelfan

EOG Addicted

It depends on the book. Some books don't have particularly good moneylines, and some don't offer them at all on spreads below 2. But sometimes the ML is better, for example on the Ravens next week, Greek has +1 +100 but ML +110, and the ML is definitely better.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

EVERY SINGLE TIME - sorta

in the regular season i do

in NFLX i will take the points because the game is different. in the NFL reg season if a team is trailing by 7 and scores late they will go for the PAT to tie the score

in NFLX a team losing by 7 late that scores will go for 2 about 95%+ of the time since it is more important to get off the field than win the game

so in NFLX i will take less than +3 and not the M/L - but every other time - M/L

Rxx

EOG Veteran

it depends on the what the ML is. there can be quite a variation. I essentially ask how much i am selling those points for. A couple of weeks ago when Rutgers was playing UConn, i took UConn + 2' and got very lucky and cashed in on a 12-10 game. I think that the ML was only +120 and figured it was costing me 30 cents to buy the 2' points.