Millionaire wins 1M a year for life in NY scratch-off lottery game.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10292008/news/regionalnews/rich_get_richer_in_lucky_cratch_135835.htm
RICH GET RICHER IN LUCKY $CRATCH

MILLIONAIRE WINS LOTTERY

By JEREMY OLSHAN

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/10292008/photos/news005.jpg"; s.text = unescape("UNFAIR GAME: Multimillionaire Keenan Altunis, 33, purchased a winning $30 scratch-off ticket and will now collect $1 million a year for the rest of his life."); s.link = "/seven/10292008/photos/news005.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
UNFAIR GAME: Multimillionaire Keenan Altunis, 33, purchased a winning $30 scratch-off ticket and will now collect $1 million a year for the rest of his life.

October 29, 2008
If the first winner of the "$1 million a year for life" scratch-off game seemed less than ecstatic yesterday, it's because he wasn't exactly struggling to scratch out a living.

Keenan Altunis, 33, a banker raised on Long Island and now living in London, accepted his prize with a smug shrug, noting he's already a multimillionaire.

"Is it going to materially change my life? No," he told The Post. "I have been a very blessed and fortunate person."

And if that isn't an argument for spreading the wealth around, how about this: Since he lives in Britain, Altunis, an executive at the European banking firm Unicredit, will have to pay New York but not federal taxes on his winnings, which means he'll net $931,500 a year for the rest of his life.

Under a US treaty with Britain, income from lottery winnings and several other sources is not subject to taxation for British residents. Altunis is not an American citizen.

The first grand prize in the $30 per-ticket drawing comes with a minimum payout of $20 million, should something unforeseen happen to Altunis, who just celebrated his fourth wedding anniversary and has a 1-year-old daughter.

Altunis and his family emigrated from Turkey when he was 5 years old and he graduated from Massapequa HS and the University of Pennsylvania before moving to London for a career in finance.

On a trip home to New York last month for a wedding, he gave his mother $100 to buy him tickets for the newly advertised game before heading to the airport. His mother tossed in another $20 and bought four.

"I knew there wouldn't be time that weekend to buy tickets for myself, so I left enough money with my mother to buy three before leaving for the airport," said Altunis. "It turned out to be the best return on any investment I've ever made."

After discovering she had a winner, his mother kept the ticket under her mattress for days until Altunis could make the trip home.
"She called me up and said, 'You're not going to believe this,' " he said. "At first, I didn't."
Since the scratch-off games are "bearer devices," it does not matter that he did not buy the tickets himself, officials said. In fact, it makes sense in this case to give the prize to a younger relative to maximize the award.
"I am in fine health," he said. "I also don't do anything risky - I don't do bungee jumping or stuff like that."

Altunis said that part of his desire to downplay his winnings is the current economic crisis, which has caused his industry and many of his friends a great deal of strife.

"It's very unfortunate to see friends losing their jobs," he said. "We are all feeling the pinch a bit. This has been one of the toughest times in the world, so the win for me is bittersweet."

Lottery winners often say that they will not allow their newfound fortunes to change who they are, but in Altunis' case, that isn't such a stretch.
"Don't get me wrong, no matter how rich anyone is, a million a year is a lot of money," he said. "But I don't expect this to change my life very much at all."

The family left New York yesterday for a vacation in the Caribbean - one that had already been planned and paid for prior to his winning ticket.

Tuckman

Uh Poster
Re: Millionaire wins 1M a year for life in NY scratch-off lottery game.

i know a guy who won the 1000 a week for life in ny, he died like 2 years later from cancer...

scrimmage

"$30 scratch off" ???
$30.00 a pop,for real:
http://www.nylottery.org/ny/nyStore...ail_Cat_201872_SubCat_1435688_NavRoot_301.htm
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=375 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD vAlign=top> </TD></TR><TR><TD> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=375 bgColor=#99ccff border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=4 height=5></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width=17></TD><TD align=left width=188>Get </TD><TD align=middle width=80>Win</TD><TD align=right width=90>Odds of 1 in:</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD bgColor=#99ccff colSpan=4 height=5> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$30 </TD><TD align=middle>$30 </TD><TD align=right>50.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$10 x 3</TD><TD align=middle>$30 </TD><TD align=right>50.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$35 </TD><TD align=middle>$35 </TD><TD align=right>6.58</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$10 + $30</TD><TD align=middle>$40 </TD><TD align=right>41.67</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$40 </TD><TD align=middle>$40 </TD><TD align=right>41.67</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$50 </TD><TD align=middle>$50 </TD><TD align=right>50.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$10 + $40</TD><TD align=middle>$50 </TD><TD align=right>50.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$10 x 5</TD><TD align=middle>$50 </TD><TD align=right>50.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$100 </TD><TD align=middle>$100 </TD><TD align=right>125.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$50 x 2</TD><TD align=middle>$100 </TD><TD align=right>125.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>($40 x 2) + ($10 x 2)</TD><TD align=middle>$100 </TD><TD align=right>125.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>($30 x 3) + $10 </TD><TD align=middle>$100 </TD><TD align=right>250.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$50 + $30 + ($10 x 2)</TD><TD align=middle>$100 </TD><TD align=right>83.33</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$50 x 10 (STAR)</TD><TD align=middle>$500 </TD><TD align=right>3,150.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$100 x 2 + $50 x 6</TD><TD align=middle>$500 </TD><TD align=right>3,150.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$100 x 5</TD><TD align=middle>$500 </TD><TD align=right>3,150.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$500 </TD><TD align=middle>$500 </TD><TD align=right>3,150.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$100 x 10 (STAR)</TD><TD align=middle>$1,000 </TD><TD align=right>25,200.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$1,000 </TD><TD align=middle>$1,000 </TD><TD align=right>25,200.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$500 x 10 (STAR)</TD><TD align=middle>$5,000 </TD><TD align=right>84,000.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$5,000 </TD><TD align=middle>$5,000 </TD><TD align=right>84,000.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$50,000 </TD><TD align=middle>$50,000 </TD><TD align=right>252,000.00</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ccffff><TD></TD><TD align=left>$1,000,000 / YR / Life</TD><TD align=middle>$1Million/YR/Life</TD><TD align=right>3,528,000.00</TD></TR><TR><TD height=30></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=30>Overall Odds: 1 in 2.93

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Why is this tool even buying lottery tickets if he is already a millionaire?? If I'm a mutil-millionaire I'd be spending $30 on fucking air fresheners for my dogs kennel laughing at the people buying lottery tickets. Guess the joke would have been one me.

Wade

EOG Master

"I have been a very blessed and fortunate person."

no shit. i wish i was so fuckin fortunate. this cocksucker must've taken all my luck because i sure as shit don't have any. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

August West

Rambler

I actually bought one of these the other night. Glad someone won. Now I won't be tempted again.

NYL is probably pissed. This game just came out like a month ago.

Illini

EOG Senior Member

Is it just me, or does it seem obvious that his mother won, but they claimed it was his ticket to avoid taxes?

Is it just me, or does it seem obvious that his mother won, but they claimed it was his ticket to avoid taxes?

What would you do, in a similar circumstance ?

Wade

EOG Master

they're smart fucks thats why they're rich. and now even more rich

kidslick

EOG Dedicated

"$30 scratch off" ???

A friend of mine won 1,000 yesterday on it. He has to go to the main building to get his money and pay taxes on it at the end of the year.

lolllllllll

Hope he gets kidnapped by gypsy's:devil:

or blows it all on opium and hookers:houra

Hal01

EOG Veteran

Keenan Altunis posts as Mr Newlywed across the street.

This is inspiring.

Makes me want to try harder in the McDonald's Monopoly game.

Illini

EOG Senior Member

I just can't believe the state fell for this. I mean, they actually believe that a millionaire, just before getting on a plane back home, gave his mother $100 so that he could vicariously play such an exciting form of gambling that he couldn't play anywhere else. It's laughable.

And how much more money are they going to have to pay out, since the guy's in his 30's, as opposed to paying his mother 1 million for life.

Apple

Banned

This fucking sucks.. Wish it would of went to someone who really needed it.

texansfan

EOG Master

"$30 scratch off" ???

They have a $50 scratch off here in Tx.

Illini, a lottery ticket is considered a "bearer instrument." It doesn't matter who bought the ticket, it only matters who turns the ticket in.

Apple

Banned

They have a $50 scratch off here in Tx.

Illini, a lottery ticket is considered a "bearer instrument." It doesn't matter who bought the ticket, it only matters who turns the ticket in.

Possession really is 90% of the law..

scrimmage

I just can't believe the state fell for this. I mean, they actually believe that a millionaire, just before getting on a plane back home, gave his mother $100 so that he could vicariously play such an exciting form of gambling that he couldn't play anywhere else. It's laughable.

And how much more money are they going to have to pay out, since the guy's in his 30's, as opposed to paying his mother 1 million for life.

There was a guaranteed $20 million minimum payout,but with the son, who's in his 30's,claiming the prize they figure to get twice that,and it's federal tax free to boot.
The first grand prize in the $30 per-ticket drawing comes with a minimum payout of $20 million, should something unforeseen happen to Altunis, who just celebrated his fourth wedding anniversary and has a 1-year-old daughter.

Wade

EOG Master

god loves this guy.

scrimmage

Study: State lotteries prey on the poor

Posted Jul 30 2008, 07:20 PM by Jon Markman

Excerpts from:
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/t...0/study-state-lotteries-prey-on-the-poor.aspx

Are lotteries unfairly designed to rip off the poor for the benefit of the rich? That's the conclusion of a group of psychology researchers in Pennsylvania, who think states ought to fix the imbalance.

Carnegie Mellon University researchers found that people who feel poor are more likely to play the lottery than people who feel rich. And as a result, the lottery in most states tends to be a very regressive tax that burdens poor people more than the wealthy.

Doctoral student Emily Haisley constructed a study that made test groups -- culled from a Pittsburgh-area Greyhound Bus Station -- feel either poor or rich compared to a control group. The folks that felt poor bought twice as many quick-pick lottery tickets than the ones that felt rich. People bought even more when reminded that although people in different income groups face unequal outcomes in education and jobs, everyone has a chance to win the lottery.

"Some poor people see playing the lottery as their best opportunity for improving their financial situations, albeit wrongly so,? said Haisley. ?The hope of getting out of poverty encourages people to continue to buy tickets, even though their chances of stumbling upon a life-changing windfall are nearly impossibly slim and buying lottery tickets in fact exacerbates the very poverty that purchasers are hoping to escape.?

Researchers said their study suggested that lotteries spark a vicious cycle that not only exploits low-income individuals? desires to escape poverty but also prevents them from improving upon their financial situations. They recommended that state lottery administrators explore ways to lessen their dependence on funding mechanisms that less directly exploited the poor.

George Loewenstein, a study co-author and psych prof at CMU, said it's possible to implement measures that can actually benefit low-income lottery players and lead to fairer outcomes, such as the practice in other countries of tying lottery tickets to savings accounts.

I'll give you 5-1 odds that no state takes Lowenstein up on the challenge. Any takers?

More about the lottery and how it's really a hidden tax on the poor[except in the rare cases when millionaires are making negative expectation investments in tickets],the article below goes into detail on the subject:

The Lottery Tax - Mark Thornton - Mises Institute
The lottery tax is regressive. It takes a higher percentage of a poor man?s wages than a rich man's. Every study has shown this to be the case and there has ...
Continued at:
<CITE>http://www.mises.org/story/249 </CITE>