Paterno: We couldn't win the Big 12 this year

I know the guy was just answering a question, but still...you gotta wonder what his players think of him now that he dissed them.

Oh well, least he was honest.

Re: Paterno: We couldn't win the Big 12 this year

There are 4 teams in the Big 12 South that would be TD favs over Penn St if the game were played at a neutral site.

I do love his candor.

That was a no-brainer. If he wanted to really be honest, he would have included the SEC, Pac 10, WAC, MWC, ACC, Big East, and Possibly Conference USA

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He isn't sure how good his team is. He's using this to motivate his team IMO. Everyone in the country is doubting them, and now he is. He has said plenty of times that he's not sure how good his team is.

There are 4 teams in the Big 12 South that would be TD favs over Penn St if the game were played at a neutral site.

I do love his candor.

I think it would be double digits, and I'd lay 'em. . .

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I think it would be double digits, and I'd lay 'em. . .

I'll present you with the same proposition then. If PSU plays any of those four teams in a bowl game you can give me 10 points and we'll post up 5k each with the Shrink and I'll take PSU.

If Joe Paterno is a ten point underdog in a bowl game it'll be one of my biggest plays of all time.

I'll present you with the same proposition then. If PSU plays any of those four teams in a bowl game you can give me 10 points and we'll post up 5k each with the Shrink and I'll take PSU.

If Joe Paterno is a ten point underdog in a bowl game it'll be one of my biggest plays of all time.

Why would I do that? I can just bet with the books. . .Assuming momentarily that Penn St. stumbles into the championship game, if the books have it less than ten, why would I pay more?:+clueless Moreover, I'm not sure that Shrink likes being volunteered to be the bag man. . .

He isn't sure how good his team is. He's using this to motivate his team IMO. Everyone in the country is doubting them, and now he is. He has said plenty of times that he's not sure how good his team is.

Um, he didn't say he wasn't sure how good his team was. He said his team wasn't good enough to win the Big 12, meaning he knows EXACTLY how good his team is: not good enough.

After I posted the above, I see that we are talking about different things. . .I'm talking about the BCS championship. . .PSU might be in the Kotex bowl against the C-USA runner-up for all I know. . .

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Why would I do that? I can just bet with the books. . .Assuming momentarily that Penn St. stumbles into the championship game, if the books have it less than ten, why would I pay more?:+clueless Moreover, I'm not sure that Shrink likes being volunteered to be the bag man. . .

Shrink wouldn't mind and you'd do it because you made a retarded comment and you should back it up. You said you'd lay that and that they'd cover that so let's do it. Otherwise don't make ridiculous comments like that.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Um, he didn't say he wasn't sure how good his team was. He said his team wasn't good enough to win the Big 12, meaning he knows EXACTLY how good his team is: not good enough.

He has said multiple times this year that he isn't sure how good his team is. He doesn't think they're good enough to win the Big 12 but he's just challenging his team. Smart tactic.

If Nittany Lion somehow wanders into the BCS championship game against Sooner, Horn, Raider, Tide or Spartan, I will post my play against them here. . .

Or Gator. . .

5 star bomb

EOG Master

read beyond what he said... there is a motive..... Motivation, etc. Lots of coaches try different techniques like Singletary pulling his pants down. This is simply trying to get his team that extra push that they may need down the final stretch

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

read beyond what he said... there is a motive..... Motivation, etc. Lots of coaches try different techniques like Singletary pulling his pants down. This is simply trying to get his team that extra push that they may need down the final stretch

I actually think, at this point, Paterno believes what he said was true. He always speaks the truth.

If they get to the title game and win, Paterno's opinion will change.

He can just use it as motivation as well.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

haha

5star: read beyond what he said
Timely hitting: don't, what you're saying isn't what i meant.

Yeah, b/c the BCS championship game and an undefeated season isn't enough motivation to 'get his team that extra push they may need down the final stretch.'

Huh? What I'm saying isn't what I meant?

5 star bomb

EOG Master

haha

5star: read beyond what he said
Timely hitting: don't, what you're saying isn't what i meant.

Yeah, b/c the BCS championship game and an undefeated season isn't enough motivation to 'get his team that extra push they may need down the final stretch.'

well you obviously never played football.... Football coaches do anything and everything for extra motivation.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I think I get what you're saying Dsethi. I think he believed what he said, but it just so happens that it may help motivate his team. The more doubters the better. I don't think he said it to motivate them though, I think he means it.

It's funnies seeing all the PSU fans wondering why no 1 is giving them respect hehhee

5 star bomb

EOG Master

I think I get what you're saying Dsethi. I think he believed what he said, but it just so happens that it may help motivate his team. The more doubters the better. I don't think he said it to motivate them though, I think he means it.

he 100% said it for motivation.... there is no other motive

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

he 100% said it for motivation.... there is no other motive

Yeah? You talked to him? He's always been an honest man. He's always answered questions truthfully. Joe Pa isn't thinking about things like that before he says it.

He's said all year he isn't sure if he has a great team or not. Every week he questions them and this is no different.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Yeah? You talked to him? He's always been an honest man. He's always answered questions truthfully. Joe Pa isn't thinking about things like that before he says it.

He's said all year he isn't sure if he has a great team or not. Every week he questions them and this is no different.

no... did you talk to him? I think its common sense really. Coaches use media all the time to get thru to the team. They are sitting pretty right now, he wants to make sure they finish there last regular season games before getting ahead of themselves

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

no... did you talk to him? I think its common sense really. Coaches use media all the time to get thru to the team. They are sitting pretty right now, he wants to make sure they finish there last regular season games before getting ahead of themselves

No, but I've followed this team for much longer than you have. I've seen his tactics and his press conferences my whole life. I've watched his press conferences all year and he's made comments similar to this.

If anything, PSU needs their own coach to believe in them, but Paterno feels that way. He said it because the question was asked and he's a honest man. He did not say it because he was thinking "I bet this will motivate my team."

reanimator

EOG Addicted

Joe was playing the media and as a bonus he got to play a half dozen idiots here. :LMAO

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Joe was playing the media and as a bonus he got to play a half dozen idiots here. :LMAO

Wasn't playing the media at all. He said at the beginning of the year that he thought they were a good team but not great.

He said after week 4 that they were better than he thought but he didn't think they were an elite team.

He said after the OSU game that he was happy how his team played and that they are one of the best teams, but not the best.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

wrong

you're hilarious

'100% motivation'

lol

'what he meant was...'

'uh no i didn't mean that, I think Paterno said exactly what he meant.'

'uh, no he didn't. hold on my mom just made some cookies'

lol.... you have no idea what your talking about. Not a surprise

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He still thinks they have a lot to work on. He doesn't want them to become content, but he also answered the question honestly. He respects those teams and I'm sure he thinks PSU will prove how good, or not good, they are in their bowl game.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

brilliant comeback

the dumb get dumber

'100% motivation'

'mom can you trim my pubes for me? i'mb usy copying and pasting fantasy football articles'

id love you to find where i copy and pasted.... but once again thanks for the compliment as i did it myself

5 star bomb

EOG Master

He still thinks they have a lot to work on. He doesn't want them to become content, but he also answered the question honestly. He respects those teams and I'm sure he thinks PSU will prove how good, or not good, they are in their bowl game.

no one said anything about any of that... Paterno used the media as a motivational tool for his team... You dont think hes going to be reminding his players how important these last regular season games are and not get ahead of themselves?? This was a way of getting that across, questioning how good they truly are....

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

no one said anything about any of that... Paterno used the media as a motivational tool for his team... You dont think hes going to be reminding his players how important these last regular season games are and not get ahead of themselves?? This was a way of getting that across, questioning how good they truly are....

How long have you followed PSU and Joe Paterno closely? How often have you watched his press conferences? He DOESN'T use the media as motivation. He never has and probably never will. He said what he felt and it may be turned into motivation but that wasn't why he said it.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

haha i never said what you pasted was good, vagina

'mom can you run my bath for me i'm busy watching the end of the bears game. bubble bath please'

how did you know i like bubble baths? Did your mom tell you about me and her taking a bubble bath together this wknd?

Anyone in PA knows that Joe PA is serious on talks and not jokes

royboy

EOG Dedicated

he said it because it's true... but luckily for psu they play in a shit conference. but hey the bottom line is results, and if they get past iowa gotta think they deserve to play for the ship.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

well u said he was saying that for motivation, meaning he wouldn't be serious on them not winning the b12

nah i never said he was joking, i never said he didnt believe what he said..... I said that the motive for what he said was motivation. If he truly believed that and was scared of these other teams he would just keep it to himself... Instead the motive was to send a message to the team that there work isnt done yet