My all-time NFL First team Defense (position by position)

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated
Re: My all-time NFL First team Defense (position by position)

I hope DIck Butkus is on this team. He is so mean that OJ Simpson went back to the huddle and said hey Butkus just cheap shotted me. All the offensive players ignored him. Nobody wanted to mess with Butkus. He was a GREAT player. Check the tapes.

Sorry carry on.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I hope DIck Butkus is on this team. He is so mean that OJ Simpson went back to the huddle and said hey Butkus just cheap shotted me. All the offensive players ignored him. Nobody wanted to mess with Butkus. He was a GREAT player. Check the tapes.

Sorry carry on.

It was a very tough call leaving Butkus off the #1 team. :mad:

He doesn't beat out Lambert or Lewis though12io4j2w90

lol...you put a picture up of rod woodson w/ a ravens jersey on when ya couldve stayed w/ the pitt trend

Journeyman

EOG Master

lol...you put a picture up of rod woodson w/ a ravens jersey on when ya couldve stayed w/ the pitt trend

Was trying not to seem Steelers bias but...:devil:

Of course Woodson was best with the black and gold.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Final tally

..........White Greene Olson Jones........

Taylor.... Lambert......... Lewis........ Ham

Woodson.....Reed.......Lott......Blount

Final tally

the bad thing is you get a flag on the first play for having 12 men out on the field...:+textinb3

Journeyman

EOG Master

the bad thing is you get a flag on the first play for having 12 men out on the field...:+textinb3

Yeah I had to use TWO MLB's ...we'll take the penalty :houra

Seperating the top LBs is impossible.

Good list.

Glad you left Deion off although many will bitch. Deion was the best cover corner of all-time no doubt, but he was a total liability against the run.

Only one I'd possibly question is Ham. He was great but I'm not sure I'd put him over Hendricks or Haley.

Wish there was a way to put Dick Night Train Lane on there, but there are only so many spots

Journeyman

EOG Master

Good list.

Glad you left Deion off although many will bitch. Deion was the best cover corner of all-time no doubt, but he was a total liability against the run.

Only one I'd possibly question is Ham. He was great but I'm not sure I'd put him over Hendricks or Haley.

Wish there was a way to put Dick Night Train Lane on there, but there are only so many spots

I loved Charles Haley...I needed a cover guy and Ham was the very best cover LB....he played LB with finesse, like Troy does now...very similar players with perfect technique.

It's impossible not to recognize the Steelers.

I feel the same way about Deion!

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Sorry carry on.

If you like Butkus, I'll tell you a great story that was in the Tribune like four or five years ago. Butkus almost got kicked off his high school football team, and he almost got expelled from school for breaking a kids nose and jaw. Once the situation was further investigated they suspended him instead.

He was practicing after school and practice was almost over. His girlfriend was waiting to pick him up when Butkus looked over and saw some guy talking to her. She seemed to be angry with the guy and he wouldn't leave. Butkus ran across the football field, jumped over the fence, and dove through the passanger window. He proceeded to crawl out and grab the guy and punch him in the face twice. I thought that was one of the most bad ass things I'd ever read.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Nobody from the '85 Bears on this list, and no Butkus seems a little crazy to me.

Also, even though you guys already commented on this, I don't think you can leave Deion off this list. If you have great tacklers at every other position, then you should have the best cover corner of all time. Deion is only a liability against the run if your front seven aren't great, but they are so Deion is the best option.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Nobody from the '85 Bears on this list, and no Butkus seems a little crazy to me.

Also, even though you guys already commented on this, I don't think you can leave Deion off this list. If you have great tacklers at every other position, then you should have the best cover corner of all time. Deion is only a liability against the run if your front seven aren't great, but they are so Deion is the best option.

Being from Chicago I'm not surprised....WHO besides Butkus could possibly crack the list? We're talking about 12 players here in the entire history.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Dent ahead of Jones? Probably not because Dent didn't make enough Pro-Bowls. It's tough for me to comment on the older players because I didn't see them enough. I admit that.

Deion would go ahead of Woodson, IMO. That's the only change I can comment on, with first hand knowledge. The rest it'd be tough for me to argue with. Butkus would make it ahead of Hamm, but that's just based on what I've read. I've read a lot on both because I'm a PSU fan and Bears fan, but I understand your argument for Hamm.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxR9qYSHt8U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sxR9qYSHt8U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

munson15

I want winners...

Final tally

Alan Page would easily make your team at defensive tackle, pushing Olsen to the bench, I saw a lot of him and he was unblockable until he slowed a little and became smallish by the standards of linemen of the mid to late 70's.

munson15

I want winners...

The only others that are debatable in my opinion, are Woodson and Reed at DB, and the linebackers other than Taylor. The different eras required such divergent skill sets at that position that it is extremely difficult to name a set of LB's definitively. Certainly Butkus would merit consideration, he could get downfield and cover if necessary, was a much better athlete than he's given credit for due to the ferocity of his hitting. Willie Lanier of the Chiefs was an amazing linebacker in the late 60's. Mike Curtis of Baltimore scared the shit out of opponents because he was certifiably nuts. He was the guy who took out the fan who ran on the field at Memorial Stadium in 1971 during a huge game against Miami. I could name others, but you get the point, I'm sure.

munson15

I want winners...

Seriously now...

No Jack Tatum?
I certainly wouldn't mind having him at safety on my team, on run support and for striking fear in any wideout who went past 5 yards, he would merit being on just about any defense you could put together.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Munson,

I considered Page over Olson...very close...he was the other guy, I went with Olson who was 14 time Pro Bowler, Page 9...very close call.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Linebackers were also very tough to seperate...it's just MY list, of course i don't expect everyone to agree...I would take that defense over any other 12 though.

munson15

I want winners...

Munson,

I considered Page over Olson...very close...he was the other guy, I went with Olson who was 14 time Pro Bowler, Page 9...very close call.
Page was more dominant, I saw a lot of these two, and Olsen had a lot of help on the Fearsome Foursome, but Minnesota had a slow Carl Eller, a lightweight Jim Marshall and a non-descript cast of characters at the other tackle. Page made the Purple People Eaters what they were. Olsen made a lot of Pro Bowls on reputation and with less competition in the pre-merger years. Just my .02.:cheers