Who here remembers Talking Football?

Buckeye

EOG Veteran
Much like the Red Ryder, carbine action 200-shot range model air rifle was Ralphie's ultimate wish, the holy grail of Christmas gifts for me was Talking Football. Came out in the mid-70s. Anyone remember this? The box opened up to a miniature football field, and the outcome of your game was determined by tiny records that were inserted into a radio-shaped player. When on offense, you chose the record you wanted to play -- each record was labeled a different offensive play. Then, depending on how the record was inserted into the player, one of about 10 possible outcomes was "announced."

Ahh, the memories. Just as a card shark might mark cards, I remember marking the records so I knew what offensive plays my opponent was choosing. CRIPE!!! I WAS THE BILL BELICHICK OF MY TIME!

Re: Who here remembers Talking Football?

Sounds just a bit before my time, Buckeye. About the first football game I can remember was the electronic one where you couldn't even pass the ball - just manuver the button past as many guys on the defense as you could. :)

Journeyman

EOG Master

I heard about this but never saw it personally.

Love these old conversations about old games, or memorabilia.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Electronic Football was great til you started actually playing, lol...setting those damn players up gets old real quick! It always seemed like a good idea til you actually started playing, the little felt football, impossible to pass, the players would all start running in opposite directions...you had to be a diehard gamer to play an entire electronic football game.

How about that electric football game where all the miniature guys painted as two different teams were on the field - then you hit the button and they were all supposed to move in whatever direction you set. Mine never worked too well.

Electronic Football was great til you started actually playing, lol...setting those damn players up gets old real quick! It always seemed like a good idea til you actually started playing, the little felt football, impossible to pass, the players would all start running in opposite directions...you had to be a diehard gamer to play an entire electronic football game.

Hah - was thinking about that game also. I could never get mine to work well. The guys would never move much and it was such a waste.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Hah - was thinking about that game also. I could never get mine to work well. The guys would never move much and it was such a waste.

I suppose every kid from the 70's and 80's had electronic football at least once!

And you could adjust the vibration which sped up the play process...there was no way around it, the game was at best a conversation piece...it was awful...pre video game era...For me from there it was Intelevision Football, the stick figure video game, that seemed unbelievable at the time....there was also an arcade football game where you 'rolled the ball' to move your guys, that game was also great at the time, pretty physical even, rolling that ball as fast as you could to get your man (an X or O) open.

:pop:

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

AHHHH YES!!! Just as I remember it! Thanks for the picture.

Electronic Football = Chinese firedrill. No matter how hard you tried to set up those suckers in proper alignment, they had a mind of their own and they went every which way.

Journeyman

EOG Master

SI and Playboy use to advertise a 'PlayDirt' football game in their magazines, I never saw that one in person either.

The electronic ones were just silly. Always had to have one but they were worthless.

I had a 1970ish ABC NFL Football game where there were sliding things for each player and depending what each of you called it lit up a result and then you moved the ball manually.

The Hockey games with the long rods were really fun until you got the rods bent.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Hockey was pretty decent. I had Bobby Orr Hockey!

Most of these games were more about window dressing then actual game play, setting up the team or whatever.

The hockey was pretty cool....and how the puck fell from the scoreboard over the center...that was high tech stuff back then!

Me and my brother had one hockey game where you changed uniforms on the players. They were cardboard cut-outs that you slipped over the pieces. We fucked up every one we got.

Here's the football game I had.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Me and my brother had one hockey game where you changed uniforms on the players. They were cardboard cut-outs that you slipped over the pieces. We fucked up every one we got.

Here's the football game I had.

damn man....I never saw that one, that is high tech stuff there!

Lighted stadium! I would have had a field day with this, turn off all the lights in the bedroom and pretend I am Howard Cosell :houra

Journeyman

EOG Master

BTW that looks like Steelers Dallas on the field...any idea which teams were with the game?

Sounds just a bit before my time, Buckeye. About the first football game I can remember was the electronic one where you couldn't even pass the ball - just manuver the button past as many guys on the defense as you could. :)

Electronic Quarterback! -- that shit was awesome back in the day. Of course, I was 9 at the time :)

We had one of those FB games where the field vibrated to move the guys....we used to put talcum powder on the field for "snow".

The best game back in the day, though, was "kill the guy" across people's lawns -- except when you got tackled on the cement. OUCH.

Electronic Quarterback! -- that shit was awesome back in the day. Of course, I was 9 at the time :)

We had one of those FB games where the field vibrated to move the guys....we used to put talcum powder on the field for "snow".

The best game back in the day, though, was "kill the guy" across people's lawns -- except when you got tackled on the cement. OUCH.

I hate to admit, but when we played, "guy" was not the name we used for the ball-carrier. . .

Journeyman

EOG Master

What do you think that game sold for back then Jimmy?

I am guessing that is like 1975.

Buckeye

EOG Veteran

It was indeed Dallas and Pittsburgh on the cover. I remember that vividly because everyone in my school was a Steelers fan, so I jumped on the Cowboys bandwagon, and I took a mental beating after the Super Bowl. I think that game came out right after the two played in '75. In any event, that was the era when Dallas first became "America's Team," and you were either a Cowboys or Steelers fan.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Went through several of those electronic football games. Even had the QB with the pull down lever in his back to pass the ball. It would break about the fourth or fifth pass.

Then modern technology took over and this was ALL the rage.