Who is the BEST MLB Player NOT in the Hall of Fame?

Re: Who is the BEST MLB Player NOT in the Hall of Fame?

I would say Pete Rose, not to start controversy as to whether or not he SHOULD be in the HOL or not, just that he is, in fact, one of the best players who isn't.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

rose is not counted in this topic.

munson15

I want winners...

Dale Murphy is not a bad place to start, his 5-tool skills were amazing considering he came up as a catcher. And the stats he accumulated on some of those bad Atlanta clubs were impressive as well.

munson15

I want winners...

No problem with Rice either. I actually have a problem with old-timers going in who no one has seen. Joe Gordon was a fine ballplayer, but if he went all these years without gaining admittance to the HOF when his comtemporary writers had their chance to put him in, why does he now merit inclusion?

Who is the BEST MLB Player ELIGIBLE to be but NOT in the Hall of Fame?

I'll go with Big Mac

Just Luck

EOG Dedicated

Munson your right Dale Murphy is another under appreciated ball player if I remember right he was a catcher for the first 4 years of his career then switched to 1st base and then CF. And those Braves teams were terrible the only reason I watched is they were on TBS everynight.

munson15

I want winners...

Munson your right Dale Murphy is another under appreciated ball player if I remember right he was a catcher for the first 4 years of his career then switched to 1st base and then CF. And those Braves teams were terrible the only reason I watched is they were on TBS everynight.
The thing is, he wasn't just put out to pasture, he became a Gold-Glover in CF. That's quite an athlete. He was erratic as a catcher, but to switch positions at the major-league level and achieve that level of proficiency is pretty impressive.

Genuine Risk

EOG Enthusiast

I like the Jim Rice pick as well. I'll also throw a couple of his contemporaries out- Davey Concepcion and George Foster.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Gil Hodges
no one has ever been more agonizingly close, so often to the Hall of Fame without getting in than Hodges. Consider:
• No player ever received more votes from the writers without getting in.

• He is the only person ever to get more than 60 percent of the Hall vote without eventually getting in.

• At various times during his 15 years on the ballot he finished ahead of 21 different future Hall of Famers -- including easily beating out former teammate Pee Wee Reese all eight times they were on the same ballot.

• The revamped Veterans Committee essentially named him Best Player Not in the Hall, giving Hodges the most support in each of its two elections; he missed getting in by 11 votes and then by eight votes.

How good was Hodges? Think of him as a better version of Hall of Famer Tony Perez -- better plate discipline, better power and a better glove. He outslugged Perez (.487, .463), reached base more often (.359, .341), made more All-Star teams (eight, seven), won more Gold Gloves (three, zero) and had just as many 100-RBI seasons (seven). At the time of his retirement Hodges was the all-time NL leader in home runs among right-handed hitters. He was the premier defensive first baseman of his era and -- as part of his overall contribution to the game, which must be considered -- he was a highly respected manager who crafted one of the most unlikely world championships in history (the 1969 Mets) and he was the idol of many baseball fans for his integrity and character.

Ace

EOG Veteran

frank white----i think 8 time gold glove winner

wayne1

EOG Enthusiast

Bert Blyleven- #5 I think in strikeouts and 60 shutouts. If Gary Carter is in c'mon !

I still don't think Sandy Koufax should be in. Five great years but nothing before that.

Hope Rice gets in today. He deserves it, imo

How about Jim Rice.

Rice, on the ballot for the 15th time, will know today if he's going to be enshrined at Cooperstown, and if so, he'll be the third player in history elected in his final year of eligibility.

According to the Hall of Fame, two players ? Red Ruffing and Ralph Kiner ? have been elected by the Baseball Writers' Association of America in their last year. Ruffing, who had 273 wins, was elected in 1967, and Kiner, who led the National League in home runs for seven consecutive seasons, made it in 1975.

Red Sox vice president Dick Bresciani says Rice is "nervous" about the results, but the 55-year-old Rice says otherwise.

"I just don't think about it," Rice told the Associated Press. "The ballots are in. There's nothing you can do about it. So you can't change anything, so why worry about it."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/hallfame/2009-01-11-rice-last-chance_N.htm?csp=34

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

This is the hall of fame for great baseball players, not the hall of fame for guys with morals and class.

FREE PETE.

Integrity

EOG Master

Jete not elg yet gamer..

How about Bo Jackson? He def had the talent...

Not sure if this thread can include guys that had their careers cut short or not...

I'm thinking the intention was BEST guy that SHOULD be in, but if it's open to anyone, why not Bo???