Your evolution as a gambler.

Looking back over 20+ years of gambling, I see the mistakes I've made, yet often find myself repeating them. I struggle with bankroll management and my emotions. I can grind away for weeks only to blow my roll after a series of bad beats by upping my bets and/or hitting the tables.

The bright side is a few years ago I didn't even know the term bankroll management and constantly lived with that "I'm due to make a big score" motivation.

This site has provided me some perspective as I observe how others "appear" to go about their business. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has found their way to being a better gambler. What checks and balances did you put in place? What "tools" have you used to improve your weaknesses?

I will be a gambler all my life. This I am sure of.

Re: Your evolution as a gambler.

:pop: Great thread! Always keeping my eyes open so I can improve at my craft. Should be some good info in here I will think about it and post my reply later.

Looking back over 20+ years of gambling, I see the mistakes I've made, yet often find myself repeating them. I struggle with bankroll management and my emotions. I can grind away for weeks only to blow my roll after a series of bad beats by upping my bets and/or hitting the tables.

The bright side is a few years ago I didn't even know the term bankroll management and constantly lived with that "I'm due to make a big score" motivation.

This site has provided me some perspective as I observe how others "appear" to go about their business. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has found their way to being a better gambler. What checks and balances did you put in place? What "tools" have you used to improve your weaknesses?

I started out gambling about 14 years ago and didn't know jack shit about money management. These days my best attribute is money management. I've also learned that I'm not a good NFL handicapper, so I tail a few people to have some action on Sunday. I've limited myself to bases and to CFB as the only sports I handicap myself. Limits on the sports I cap has enabled me to become much better at these two sports. I'll look at Gyno or Shrink for a NFL play or two. I'm playing some of MrNBA plays lately. I have no shame in tailing for some people handicap better than I do and we're all here to make some money.
Back in the day it didn't matter if it was 5 or 10 cent juice. I didn't care, but nowadays I've come full circle in the understanding of the word "Value" and line shop a ton more. Now that bases are getting closer, and I live in Florida I'm able to travel to many spring training games and see how some of the pitchers are doing and see what young bucks are making noise. Has it helped? I don't know but I know I make money every year on bases.
I'm trying to break the everyday betting just to have action, but with the guys here at EOG it's very hard not to place a bet and be comfortable that it's going to win. So while I'm trolling the sports forum I can find a winner for the most part.

mofome

Banned

:cheers:cheers:cheers

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

I think people tend to complicate this thing we call gambling. For me I only play angles that have proven results over tons of historical plays. I only play the best angles. No place for mediocrity in my selections.

Tempers and anger needs to be checked at the door.

Never, EVER chase, there is always tomorrow.

extremely strict money management is a must. Anything else is asking for trouble.

Don't tier your bets unless they are season type plays

if you have a track record of losing, then stop playing your own plays and find someone who wins.......and follow them religiously.

Sports wagering can be profitable despite what some may tell you. All the changes in the environment haven't stopped the profits. It's not that big a deal.

Have atleast 3 outs, anything less than 3 outs and you leave yourself vulnerable. I recommend having as many as you can afford to open up.

If you have connections and ability, credit is a must have.

Enjoy it, it is suppose to be a fun release, don't get caught up in the loses.

Keep very accurate records of all your plays, make notes of your mistakes, and never repeat them.

last but not least, get to know me.........I take everyone in my tight circle to the promise land

:+textinb3

I think people tend to complicate this thing we call gambling. For me I only play angles that have proven results over tons of historical plays. I only play the best angles. No place for mediocrity in my selections.

extremely strict money management is a must. Anything else is asking for trouble.

if you have a track record of losing, then stop playing your own plays and find someone who wins.......and follow them religiously.

Sports wagering can be profitable despite what some may tell you. All the changes in the environment haven't stopped the profits. It's not that big a deal.

Have atleast 3 outs, anything less than 3 outs and you leave yourself vulnerable. I recommend having as many as you can afford to open up.

Keep very accurate records of all your plays, make notes of your mistakes, and never repeat them.

last but not least, get to know me.........I take everyone in my tight circle to the promise land

FACT

:houra

Your a hour and a half away. When we meeting? I'd like a trip to the promise land.:+excited-

Simplythebest. Good insight. I never cared what the line was. "So what if it went from 6 to 10. They're gonna win by 20 anyways!"

Also, I always thought I was an expert on sports because I bet on them.:+textinb3

IPP. Thanks for your response. Good list. I used to think an "angle" would take me to heaven someday. Maybe it still could?12io4j2w90

LOL..............I've only been at this for a little over a year, but it seems to be the norm. I keep trying to rethink the way I do things all the time, but what happens, just the opposite:+clueless
Strange fuckin' business....

LOL..............I've only been at this for a little over a year, but it seems to be the norm. I keep trying to rethink the way I do things all the time, but what happens, just the opposite:+clueless
Strange fuckin' business....

It can take awhile to "get it", but once you do, how enjoyable it is. If you are addicted to it yet, you will be soon. I just wish these forums were around 14 years ago. Could of saved me a fortune.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Follow these rules.

1) Never refer to yourself as a 'gambler'. You are an investor. You don't gamble.

2) Stick with one specialty. The fact that you are 'hitting the tables' is a bad sign. If you are good enough to win betting NFL (for example) stick with that and bet nothing else. Don't spread yourself thin.

3) Work extremely hard on one sport. Not two sports, one sport. put all your energy, efforts and knowledge into capping one sport. If you can't win with your chosen specialty, pick another sport or stop investing altogether.

4) Don't bet 'angles' Angles are for suckers. Angles are for people who don't know who the better team is. If you are not sure who the more talented team is on THIS NIGHT, than you can or might resort to an angle. For example. If there was a horserace where there were two major contenders and i wasn't sure who the fastest contender is, i'll resort to an 'angle'. That angle has no bearing on who the fastest horse is of the 2 i previously mentioned. People resort to angles when they don't know who the faster animal (or better team) is. Figure out who the better team is and leave the angles to the less informed.

5) Never get too high when you win and never get too low when you lose. Keep in mind that every bet you make is a 'long run' wager. Its not a short run wager. Emotions don't matter in the long run. Emotions DO come into play in the short run. If you lose a bet you ask yourself a series of questions which mostly include trying to figure out if you made a bad bet, or you made a good bet that just happened to lose. Sometimes the right side will lose just because the right side can't always win. You need to know if your bet was the right side or not.

6) Bet less. Don't make bets every day. Make them FORCE you to wager.

7) Become really good at your chosen sport. Become SO good that your HEART knows you are great and are going to be a long run winner. Remember this, the best people in the world at their own specialty don't spread themselves thin doing other stuff. Tiger Woods isn't hanging out at the sportsbar drinking beer and yucking it up with friends...he's out somewhere hitting golf balls and working on his game. Same with a top tennis player, top bowler, top soccer player etc. The best in the world are not out jacking off, they are out working on their game. You need to work harder on your game if you want to be great.

8) Dream to be the best in the world at something. Don't settle for 2nd best. Will yourself to be the best at what you do and put everything in your life aside until you get to where you want to be. Ask yourself who is the best sports bettor (or whatever betting it is that you do) and say to yourself "why not me". Of course, its going to take a lifetime committment in order to even have a chance to achieve this.

9) Remember these 3 letters. P.R.O. Always be a Pro. Act like a pro in everything you do.

10) Believe it or not, you are a much better investor than you were 20 years ago. But, society has really gotten better also. Bettors are really sophisticated and sharp and in order to beat them, you are going to have to be a little bit better. Winning at gambling is very hard, but its possible. You just have to want it bad enough.

Thank you for the thoughtful response Flamingo kid. 12io4j2w90

I am pasting the responses into a notebook. In a few days I'm gonna put some hard thought into the views people have shared.

FK, that was perfectly explained......you nailed that one on the head bro! Thanks for the support91023i2ndw;l Great post, maybe the best advise I have ever seen yet!

One problem I have noticed recently is that when I win its not a big deal emotionally but when I lose its like someones sticking a dagger in me. I guess its because I expect to win but over the years winning has less and less of an effect while losing feels worse and worse. Make sense?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Thanks guys.

Hey, one more thing you need to ask yourself.

You gotta ask yourself if you are really willing to pay the price to be great.Have it in your head that there is no such things as free money. There's no easy road to riches. If there was, everyone would be doing it.

The amount of work and dedication to be great is staggering. its really a lifetime investment.

Some people want to be good at a lot of different things. They want to spread it around. They want to go out on weekends and party. They want to enjoy the finer things life has to offer, which is perfectly fine, if that's the way you want to live your life, more power to you.

But, if you want to be a winning bettor and really take this stuff seriously, you have to put all that other stuff aside.

Lots of people have jobs and work approx 40 hours per week. When that 5pm whistle blows, they shut off their brains and veg out until they wake up in the morning ready to do it all over again. You need to be the personality type that knows a sedate 9-5 lifestyle is not good enough.

Being great at one thing is extremely rewarding for some people. They'll give up almost everything in order to be great.

You need to ask yourself if being great is all that matters. If other things in life matter a lot, maybe being great at one thing isn't worth it to you.

These are the hard questions you have to ask and address before you even consider making one wager on anything.

What price am i willing to pay.

No wonder why you are in the top 25 man! Great advise, something I will keep in mind for sure......

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

couldn't disagree more with flamingo....by angles, I didn't mean angle literally. I meant your own angle to handicapping, whatever that is.

Pick one sport, fuck that shit. You need to bet year around and maximiaze your profits.

You also need to bet MORE games than less.

I bet thousands of games per year, and contrary to what he may think I ain't no sucka.

You need to quit trying to handicap if you haven't won thus far in your career. Find someone who posts consistently, posts year around on all sports and wins, and ride that muther for all he's worth.

either jump in with both feet or find a new gig.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Find your "niche"

I bet on golf yr round ... a lot more fun and less stressful than betting on the
NFL or NBA

picoman

EOG Senior Member

keep it recretional. once you want to make money...things will go from bad to worse.

dogball

EOG Master

Great thread

Leave emotions out of betting decisions
approach this as a business
be selective, very selective
your not as good as your best streak nor as bad as your worse
lock in profits when appropriate
im convinced if i didnt go through what i did ,i would never have gotten any good at this. I put myself through hell a few times