The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple hours!

nsane

EOG Enthusiast
Re: The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple hours!

i'll answer in the next day or so --if i think of it and the booze is gone. you have to be be there to get it. it's different for each of us. god bless.
what do you mean when you say"you have to be there to get it"?....can you be more specific?"keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

the main thing from my experience with addiction is when stressful things happen and thats one of the main reasons a person sometimes slips back into old habits is when things get tough or setbacks happen.
what i've learned is it's not about the shit that happens but how i choose to react to it....stress=life.....we make excuses to do what we want to do....."keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast
Re: The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple days!

congrats shrink. Takes a strong person. Many people try it, few succedd. Congrats
being "strong" or weak is a crock of shit....choices,choices,choices......."keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

I guess they don't consider high stakes gambling a mood altering drug? :+clueless
when i first joined aa i had a hard on for this little brunette but because of what i'd learned about personal responsibility and doin the next right thing i was scared to fk her....i consulted an old timer about the situation and he said "mrhognuts,aa aint about gettin good it's about gettin sober".yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha....."keep the continue"

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

what do you mean when you say"you have to be there to get it"?....can you be more specific?"keep the continue"

I know ( after lots of docs) WHY I'm an alcoholic. It changes nothing. The human mine is --whatever? We are all on different missions in life that can change at different points. Don't mean to sound "trite", but (8/5) says it's caused by loneliness.
Do you want more.

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

I know ( after lots of docs) WHY I'm an alcoholic. It changes nothing. The human mine is --whatever? We are all on different missions in life that can change at different points. Don't mean to sound "trite", but (8/5) says it's caused by loneliness.
Do you want more.
you make an excellent point about the"why' and you're right it dont mean jack....when i first sobered up i read every article ever written on "why do alcoholics drink' and it was all interesting but thats about it.... here's what i do know...i became addicted to alcohol because i drank more than my fair share every day...same shit happened with salem cigs and folgers coffee...sooo,it really was'nt about the alcohol......"keep the continue"

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Hello Ken,

As a former and fellow "partner in crime", the Munchkin Man congratulates you on your continued sobriety.

The Munchkin Man just drank a Diet Coke in your honor.

The Munchkin Man hasn't had a drink himself in nearly 10 months.

And no T3 for years.

Keep up the great work.

May your journey continue to bring you success and happiness.......

One day at a time.

91023i2ndw;l

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

gofur876

EOG Addicted

I'm not sure how bad the problem was and really it doesn't matter. Three years is quite an acomplishment and I wish you continued sobriety. Like my wife always tells her father, if you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your wife, your kids, and your grandchildren.

That line has NEVER worked on a drunk and never will. When you're deep in the addiction nothing matters except the next bump. Trust one who's been there and lost everything. Will have 33 yrs straight in Aug.! Keep it up Shrink, it DOES get easier, but never relax too much. 91023i2ndw;l

Blondie

EOG Master

Congratulations Ken. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished so far. :)

That line has NEVER worked on a drunk and never will. When you're deep in the addiction nothing matters except the next bump. Trust one who's been there and lost everything. Will have 33 yrs straight in Aug.! Keep it up Shrink, it DOES get easier, but never relax too much. 91023i2ndw;l

It worked on my Dad. I believe this summer will mark 21 years sober for him (give or take a year). I hear what you're saying, but different things "work" on different people. If someone you love is addicted to drugs/booze, you have to keep working every angle you can think of until (hopefully) something clicks.

Ken,
I'm not going to say "Congrats!"...because to me, that sounds like you won something. So, I say to you GOOD WORK!! I know it's work every day to stay sober...even years later. I didn't know you when you had the problem, but I can say from the time I've known you that you are better than being a drunk or druggie. You have a good heart. When things get tough, remember: You have a great family around you. They stuck by you through the problems because you are worth it. Even as a drunk (or whatever the drug was), your wife thought you were worth fighting for. They are lucky to have you happy and healthy (and vice versa). Keep on fighting for it. Nothing worth having comes easy. :cheers

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

"when yer deep into the addiction nothin matters but the next drink and or whatever" hit the nail on the head...at the end of my drinkin career i thought about drinkin 24/7..."keep the continue'

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

It worked on my Dad. I believe this summer will mark 21 years sober for him (give or take a year). I hear what you're saying, but different things "work" on different people. If someone you love is addicted to drugs/booze, you have to keep working every angle you can think of until (hopefully) something clicks.

Ken,
I'm not going to say "Congrats!"...because to me, that sounds like you won something. So, I say to you GOOD WORK!! I know it's work every day to stay sober...even years later. I didn't know you when you had the problem, but I can say from the time I've known you that you are better than being a drunk or druggie. You have a good heart. When things get tough, remember: You have a great family around you. They stuck by you through the problems because you are worth it. Even as a drunk (or whatever the drug was), your wife thought you were worth fighting for. They are lucky to have you happy and healthy (and vice versa). Keep on fighting for it. Nothing worth having comes easy. :cheers
if your dad had'nt CHANGED his way of thinkin and started makin better choices all the "love"in the world could"nt have helped him...quittin drinkin aint about alcohol it's about changin how we think....."keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

Do you want more.
whoson1st, your statement of "it's caused by loneliness "i must respond to..if you are lonely the last thing in the world you need is alcohol....dont know what a dr would call it but at the end of my drinkin(self medicating) i was one lonely,depressed,or whatever mfer..i really thought that i was just that way and those feelings would never change..all i wanted to do was get oiff the booze..buuut,after bein sober about 6 months all that "loneliness" or depression left me and has'nt visited me since..(15 yrs)..the only thing that had changed in my life was i'd joined AA and began to see that my problems were a direct result of my faulty thinkin and therefore my choices....i have several friends who after they got clean and sober realized they needed medication and it has worked great for them. (depression,etc)...the thing is if we never get off the drugs or booze a dr cant help ye..."keep the continue'

It amazes me how many of you can identify. I am grateful to have posters who understand and care...

Thank you,

Ken

if your dad had'nt CHANGED his way of thinkin and started makin better choices all the "love"in the world could"nt have helped him...quittin drinkin aint about alcohol it's about changin how we think....."keep the continue"

I don't think you know my Dad very well. His family is the most important thing in the world to him. He went into rehab when my mom divorced him. He told me just the other day when we were talking that the thought of not having a relationship with his kids is what "scared him sober" so to speak.

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

I don't think you know my Dad very well. His family is the most important thing in the world to him. He went into rehab when my mom divorced him. He told me just the other day when we were talking that the thought of not having a relationship with his kids is what "scared him sober" so to speak.
sir,i believe you believe your dad believes he sobered up because of his family but he didnt until your mother divorced him...he had a loving family all along so what happened?..family and love does'nt get you drunk and it wont get you sober...there is no exterior solution for an interior problem..tell your dad to go to an AA meeting and tell them he sobered up because of his family and see what they tell him...if he had not had enough of the way he was livin MARILYN MONROE AND THE WALTONS couldnt have sobered him up...this is based on the BIG BOOK Of ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS and at least 1500 aa meetings i've attended....just sharing my experience, strength, and hope..we are all in this together and hognuts is pullin for ye......'keep the continue'

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Congratulations Shrink! Which was harder to quit............booze or smokes?

sir,i believe you believe your dad believes he sobered up because of his family but he didnt until your mother divorced him...he had a loving family all along so what happened?..family and love does'nt get you drunk and it wont get you sober...there is no exterior solution for an interior problem..tell your dad to go to an AA meeting and tell them he sobered up because of his family and see what they tell him...if he had not had enough of the way he was livin MARILYN MONROE AND THE WALTONS couldnt have sobered him up...this is based on the BIG BOOK Of ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS and at least 1500 aa meetings i've attended....just sharing my experience, strength, and hope..we are all in this together and hognuts is pullin for ye......'keep the continue'

My dad was already a drunk when my mom merried him, I just don't thin she realized it. Five years down the road she was fed up. That's what happened.

I don't think we're understanding each other here. I know that for someone to make that change, they have to want to. I'm not saying that all us kids standing together say "Daddy, get sober for us" is what made him enter rehab. But I do feel that my mom divorcing him is one of the things that made him see he needed to change...and he needed help. He had already gone through one divorce, so maybe it was the possibility of losing another family that scared him into taking a closer look at himself. The way he tells it now, if he were single, he probably would have kept drinking much longer. It was the realization of: "Maybe it's not them...it's me. This is the second family to kick me out." that really got his attention. To be completely honest, I was too young to remember most of his alchoholism and too sheltered to see the rest. My family, I'm discovering, had the lovely habit or "protecting" me from everything when I was a kid. In fact, one of my first memories n the topic was going to his rehab to feed the ducks. I didn't know until I was about 15 that the memory was from the pond at his rehab center. When I would talk about it, my mom would just say: "Yeah, that time you fed the ducks at daddy's old apartment?" Nice, huh?

Anywho, sorry if I offended. It wasn't my intention. I've been around addiction quite a bit and have seen just about every outcome...but other than cigarettes, I cannot speak from personal experience. Keep up the good work! 91023i2ndw;l

Wilson

EOG Dedicated

I cannot partake in this thread, according to the "Jman and TTP minimum great thread evaluator" the count needs to be over 1800 views. I will be back when it approaches greatness.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

if ya didnt drink today and ya didnt puke on your sneakers then youve done too things 1 you smashed the idea that once again you can drink safelyand 2 your staying in the day . progress not perfection , we r not saints . insist on having fun.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I KNEW it!!!

I'm going to try to quit soon. Consider this a board-wide warning. If you think PMS is bad....you're in for a rude awakening! :LMAO
But you're always so sweet!:cheers

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

If you're an alcoholic, than your brain tells you (alcohol) is your friend. Doesn't matter if that statement is true or false. What matters is what your brain says. Of course, the friend stays around forever and causes you problems at least possibly. So do "real, sober people". The difference is clear to me.
What's that commercial that used to say..." a mind is a terrible thing to waste". Which mind is that?
We are all different with different beliefs and on and on.....keep the continue.
:LMAO

The Devil

EOG Master

HAVING KNOWN KEN FOR OVER 10 YEARS........I KNOW THIS IS QUITE AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.....

CONGRATS KEN.........HELL OF A FIGHT YOU PUT UP.......

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Oh, ZZ, we've got to talk. You have NO idea!:devil:
Now, now Ladies.You are both vibrant, intelligent and vivacious and I am indebted to you both. I am sure I have enough skeletons in my closet to go around for all of us. (Except not enough for Ken..........LOL).

P.S. Off to take the Boy to hockey now. No juicy secrets until I return!

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

What do you think it would take for Shrink to "pick up" again? The plays of a football team can be scripted---guess what; so is life. In a New York second under the right circumstances; he goes back. Ihope for him it doesn't happen-be it his choice! But to think AA or some magical belief or younameit; stops it; is BEYOND stupid!
All the best to Shrink; those that like you will allways be there; drink or no drink! Book It!