Most Valuable Outfielders over the last 3 years

mofome

Banned
by Dave Cameron - February 16, 2009 ?

Filed under Daily Graphings

I know Matthew wrote about this a few weeks ago, but hopefully, you?ll bare with me as we revisit the topic of Ichiro?s value. It has become prominent again in the local discussions of the Seattle Mariners, as J.J. Putz and Adrian Beltre have expressed frustration with his style of play.

In the last three years, here?s the Win Value leaderboard for major league outfielders.

1. Grady Sizemore, +20 wins
2. Carlos Beltran, +18.4 wins
3. Matt Holliday, +18.1 wins
4. Curtis Granderson, +14.7 wins
5. Ichiro Suzuki, +14.5 wins

Over the last three years, Ichiro has been a more valuable player than Manny Ramirez, Magglio Ordonez, Alfonso Soriano, or Vladimir Guerrero. Do you see their teammates complaining that they don?t play the game the right way (okay, Manny, but that?s a different kind of issue entirely)? Do you see them continually being derided for what they don?t do?

We?re in desperate need of a paradigm shift. For too long, baseball players have been put into boxes and defined based on how well they fit a preconceived notion of what is valuable. If you don?t do those certain things, then your value is diminished, regardless of how well you do everything else.

A player?s value is the sum of his total contributions on the field. And those contributions come in all shapes and sizes. You don?t have to hit home runs to be a star. You don?t have to play defense to be a star. You don?t have to be nice to the media to be a star. If you have a deficiency in one area, you can make up for it with superlative greatness in another.

Ichiro is a star. That he doesn?t produce like Guerrero or Ramirez doesn?t make him less valuable, just because he doesn?t look like a right fielder.
Let?s just toss our preconceived notions of what a player should do overboard and evaluate them on what they actually do. We care about their tangible value, not our interpretation of whether their value fits the mold.

link

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Most Valuable Outfielders over the last 3 years

You can't define how important Manny was to last years Dodgers. Players like Manny make other players around him much better. The hitter who bats before Manny gets a much better pitch selection (i.e fastballs down the middle) than the batter who bats ahead of Ichiro.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

#5??

5. Ichiro Suzuki

WOW .... give me a break as he is a pure stud

FeelTheTruth

EOG Addicted

Grady doesn't get the pub he deserves, mainly because he is on a mediocre team but watching this guy play every night is treat. he plays the game the right way.. you never see him dog it on ground balls.. he is busting it down that line like its game 7

A good team that could get ahold of Ichiro could become a great one.

He is languishing in Seattle...

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I was surprised to see Granderson so high.

He is really a great player. It will be interesting to see how Holliday does in Oakland. How Manny isn't in the top 3 is amazing.

tripp

EOG Master

Granderson is definitely a great player, very underrated. There's just so many good OF's that their will be a few guys that you're thinking how the hell are they off of this list, but it's hard to find someone that IS on the list that you would replace them with. Very good top 5 list right there, but agree that Manny should be there.

Ichiro needs to become a Yankee.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Looking at the link, ManRam's fielding kills him. No surprise.