8.9" notebook computers

vinividivinci

EOG Addicted
Anybody have any experience with these? Staples has an Acer with 1 gb harddrive and 164 mb ram for $299. Looks like a good deal to me but I guess that's why I'm asking. Are these good for checking lines and putting in plays? Compact size is very appealing.

Thanks,

VVV

PO69

EOG Master
Re: 8.9" notebook computers

This kind of computer is all that 90% of American families need. You will buy another computer within 2 years anyway. Who needs a lot of memory??

PassTheRock

EOG Master

I was thinking of getting something like this also.

Anybody got any more details on these?

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Been thinking about getting 1 of these as well to carry in my bag for work instead of taking my regular laptop with me all the time. The compact size would take up less room and be easier to access/put away several times throughout the day. I already have a usb cd-rom drive...only thing keeping me from getting 1 is I'm not sure how it would handle sportsinsights lines.

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

got 1 last month for a trip and just sold it cause I'm not going to use it.

that said it was great.
I was really impressed by the processor speed because i never used an Atom processor before. Ran a few financial apps that are pretty resource intensive and it did a good job, better than i expected.
Xp with 160 gigs \1 gig ram.

battery life was just ok, off the top of my head I say 1 1/2 -2 hours.

would opt to throw debian or sum *nix on it if i got another in the future

For casual internet, office, entertainment while travel, use you can't really beat it. all in all 9 out of 10 with all things considered.

diogee

Thanks for the review of your experience 91023i2ndw;l Sounds like it should be able to handle a line service.

?natin'on$'s

EOG Enthusiast

yeah it was handling data from 2 different platforms and 2 different exchanges simultaneously, don't think a line service will be a problem.

Remember it is a full functioning laptop just as any other. Only draw back is the gig of Ram so don't go crazy multi-tasking on it just a few things at a time...

diogee

Finally got one...10.1" asus for 300 after mail in rebate. Handy to have and the battery life is great....beats the hell out of carrying my fullsize with me. Takes a little getting used to the keyboard but it isn't too much smaller.