Izzo is on my list for sure

gotta throw in Calp

Pitino for sure since he has taken 3 teams to Final 4s

screw it .... Self is my 4th

gridironguy

EOG Veteran
Re: Rank the top 4 Coaches left in the field of 16

too many good coaches left

good luck deciding who's better between calhoun, williams, pitino, coach k, izzo, and calipari. you can decide it by titles but then it's 2, 1, 1, ?, 1 and 0

but that does not always tell the story

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Pitino is the only coach to take 3 schools to final 4s so he has to be
on everyones list

I love Izzo's pgm ... rock solid and hell ... has the NCAA ever sniffed MSU
for any sort of shit? I can't remember in my lifetime going back to
Jud if that has ever happened which is amazing if ya think about it

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Pitino is the only coach to take 3 schools to final 4s so he has to be
on everyones list

I love Izzo's pgm ... rock solid and hell ... has the NCAA ever sniffed MSU
for any sort of shit? I can't remember in my lifetime going back to
Jud if that has ever happened which is amazing if ya think about it

i would put him on the list because he has won a title and was runner up another time, not because of jumping around to different teams and taking them to the final 4

the 3 schools to final 4s criteria punishes other coaches like izzo who has only been at one school, coach k at one, and coach williams at 2 major schools

longevity at one institution should not be punished, use total final 4s but don't give extra credit to a guy for being a bit like larry brown and not staying in one place

calhoun and coach k have to be on the list because they have won more titles than anybody left

coach k has 3 championships

calhoun has 2 championships

boom, end of the top 2

now choose the next 2 between williams, pitino, izzo, calipari, and what about boeheim? a title and a couple of final 4's, hell a runner up in there in 87

in 96 boeheim took an above avg team with only 1 real scorer to the final game

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

I forgot about Boeheim

what has he won?

Like 800 games give or take?

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

I forgot about Boeheim

what has he won?

Like 800 games give or take?

799 and counting

bill self has to be included if you're talking best coaches RIGHT NOW

what he did at tulsa was amazing, ku the title last yr

hell, what he did with a completely new ku squad except for collins is particularly noteworthy

railbird

EOG Master

1. Dixon
2. Izzo
3. Self
4. Painter

That is if were talking about coaches instead of the guy who gives the biggest envelopes to the AAU middle man.

bill self has been very impressive throughout his career, but he can't be mentioned w/ these other coaches yet...

Johnny C is a excellent recruiter, maybe the best in the nation. Im not so sure about his in game coaching, along with x's and o's and such.

But Pitino starting of at little Boston U to Providence to Kentucky to Louisville, just amazing work done at each stop. Hopefully this will be his last job.

railbird

EOG Master

How did those 2 gunieas do in the NBA? Not so good whne they cant cheat.

lol, I can't continue a convo with someone who has Matt Painter in the top 4 coaches left. When half of them are hall of famers.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Louisville:

this is Pitino's last stop?

like STE-ROD stating: "I hope I am the last guy Madonna fucks ..."

railbird

EOG Master

lol, I can't continue a convo with someone who has Matt Painter in the top 4 coaches left. When half of them are hall of famers.

hallf of fame is a fraud. No Tarkanian.

besides what is the hall of fame? The guy who has cheated the longest without getting caught?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

1. Dixon
2. Izzo
3. Self
4. Painter

That is if were talking about coaches instead of the guy who gives the biggest envelopes to the AAU middle man.

Painter has done a great job. Kids actually go to class at Purdue.

Interesting no one mentioned Calhoun.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Painter has done a great job. Kids actually go to class at Purdue.

Interesting no one mentioned Calhoun.

read the thread again. some guy named 'gridironguy' referenced calhoun and his 2 national championships several times this thread

only coach k has more than calhoun amongst the sweet 16 coaches. coach k's 3 championships are impressive

no one else has even 2 other than calhoun

that will change this yr when either pitino or roy williams earn #2

i would bet it's roy who gets it

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

read the thread again. some guy named 'gridironguy' referenced calhoun and his 2 national championships several times this thread

only coach k has more than calhoun amongst the sweet 16 coaches. coach k's 3 championships are impressive

no one else has even 2 other than calhoun

that will change this yr when either pitino or roy williams earn #2

i would bet it's roy who gets it

:cheers

tripp

EOG Master

calipari
dixon
izzo
painter
self
calhoun
pitino
coach k
roy williams

i'd be happy with any one of these coaches. calipari is #1 though.

First off calipari is not even in the top 10. He himself admitted he isn't a good coach, the only reason he gets the players that he gets is because of his non-stop recruiting campaigns. He puts emphasis on recruiting over coaches. Because now collegiate athletics are all about the players and not about the coach.

Here are my top 4:

1. Coach K
2. Pitino
3. Self
4. Izzo

tripp

EOG Master

First off calipari is not even in the top 10. He himself admitted he isn't a good coach, the only reason he gets the players that he gets is because of his non-stop recruiting campaigns. He puts emphasis on recruiting over coaches. Because now collegiate athletics are all about the players and not about the coach.

Here are my top 4:

1. Coach K
2. Pitino
3. Self
4. Izzo

1) Recruiting is the absolute biggest part of coaching. I will take a great recruiter over a great in game coach any day. The best in game coaches could easily come from mid major schools, they just aren't able to get the talent to work with.

2) Look at the difference between the beginning of the year and the end. Memphis was not that good of a team at all to start the year. That's why the wins by Xavier and Syracuse over them don't impress me one bit. They weren't that good back then. Right now they'd destroy both those teams, especially Xavier. Memphis has improved tremendously since the start of the year. That shows Calipari can not only recruit better than anyone, but he's a damn good coach also.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Here are my top 4:

1. Coach K
2. Pitino
3. Self
4. Izzo

you're joking right? he says he's not good as a joke, it's called self-deprecation, it's calipari's attempt at coming across humble when it's obvious that he knows exactly how good he is. he called himself a "dumb coach" for not putting tyreke evans in at point guard at the start of the season. once evans became pg, memphis went on the 25 gm win streak which is now 27.

i cant believe you would take what he said about himself literally!

too funny

railbird

EOG Master

calipari is a good coach because he won 27 in a row? IF he was a good coach he would have won it last year.

Funny not 1 mention of Calhoun or Boeheim. Now don't get me wrong I am not arguing for them, but Calhoun has won over 800 games, and Jimmy is on 799. Both have become dominant recruiters bringing in elite talent each year. Boeheim has 1 National Title, and 2 other final game appearances. You can argue that he got there with less than elite talent as well. He is also widely known as the best teacher of the zone defense. Just thought these guys would get a little more play

tripp

EOG Master

Funny not 1 mention of Calhoun or Boeheim. Now don't get me wrong I am not arguing for them, but Calhoun has won over 800 games, and Jimmy is on 799. Both have become dominant recruiters bringing in elite talent each year. Boeheim has 1 National Title, and 2 other final game appearances. You can argue that he got there with less than elite talent as well. He is also widely known as the best teacher of the zone defense. Just thought these guys would get a little more play

Calhoun has been mentioned by a few people already. Boeheim was mentioned by one guy, but for me personally he wouldn't crack my top 10. He doesn't improve the players for the most part. Donte Green had incredible talent and Boeheim did nothing with it. He pretty much just let Donte do what he wanted last year, and what he wanted was to be a selfish player that take terrible shots more often than not. How that team did not even make the NCAA Tournament last year is absolutely horrible. Boeheim may have done the worst coaching job of anyone in the nation last season.

This season almost unraveled for them too. Looked great at the beginning. They got nice matchups against teams in a transition year (Kansas and Memphis) at the right time and you would think that would build confidence winning those games, especially the way they beat Kansas. They struggled for a bit after that though and was actually at a risk to miss the tournament before the hot end to the year. He gets a lot of raw talent, and guys that have tons of potential. They are guys that need to be molded into stars though, and Boeheim more often than not drops the ball doing that. Melo he didn't need to do anything with, he was already a star. I always say recruiting is the biggest part of coaching so I give him tons of credit for getting Melo and getting talented guys like Greene, Flynn, Harris and Devendorf. He just doens't really make them any better.

Just imagine what this would of been capable of if 1) Donte Greene progressed and stayed. He might of stayed if he saw a team that could win the title or was able to improve his stock. I think all an extra year would have done for him is hurt his stock though because Boeheim did nothing to stop him from making poor decisions, 2) He was able to get the guys to play better defense. The 2-3 looks very good at times, but not consistently. Now they are starting to play top teams all it takes is one bad performance on the defensive side and you're gone. They won't be able to switch to man either as I really don't think they'd be able to handle it. As soon as a team starts abusing the zone they are done in my opinion because Boeheim either hasn't spent the time getting them to play great defense, or his guys just don't get it. And 3) If he could only get Devendorf to play at his capabilities consistently. He at times looks absolutely awful, but when he's on he's fantastic. A great coach will get his guys playing as good as they can be pretty consistently. There will of coarse be bad games, but it shouldn't be going from night and day one game to the next. Devendorf can be a great college player, but he needs guidence on how to be a smarter player. That's Boeheim's job.

Boeheim gets talented guys though pretty often, so I will give him props for that.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

1. Dixon
2. Izzo
3. Self
4. Painter

the fact you put dixon on the top 4 is laughable

putting him #1 is absolutely downright hilarious to the nth fukken degree

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

i said calhoun and boeheim so many times from the get go

read the thread again, and read my posts

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

calipari is a good coach because he won 27 in a row? IF he was a good coach he would have won it last year.

9 pt lead over ku with 2:12 to play but memphis goes into the tank at the FT line, thats his players fault not the coach's fault

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

1. Pitino

the rest are inferior

since '96

1 title ('96)

runner up (97)

final 4 (beat badly in the semi)

i don't see how you can see the rest are inferior sir, at this moment in time, roy williams is SUPerior to pitino

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

since '96

1 title ('96)

runner up (97)

final 4 (beat badly in the semi)

i don't see how you can see the rest are inferior sir, at this moment in time, roy williams is SUPerior to pitino

well im an Illinois fan so I have no bias here but I just LOVE Pitino...nobody can motivate people better than him

I mean its hard to break down "coach" as a whole...recruiting, in game coaching, etc

I made my judgement on the fact that if you gave me 12 random collegiate players and we were only going to play 1 game for all the marbles, I would pick Pitino

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

well im an Illinois fan so I have no bias here but I just LOVE Pitino...nobody can motivate people better than him

I mean its hard to break down "coach" as a whole...recruiting, in game coaching, etc

I made my judgement on the fact that if you gave me 12 random collegiate players and we were only going to play 1 game for all the marbles, I would pick Pitino

pitino's l'ville team won the big east reg conf title and then the conf tourney

now they have only az and ku-msu winner in the way to the final 4

if they meet uconn, you're saying you would want pitino to coach and his great team, yes? they are not 12 random players, they are some serious ballers on that team

yet you started a thread that said "give uconn the title"

but uconn played in the big east the same conf as pitino but his boys won

make up your mind bro

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

pitino's l'ville team won the big east reg conf title and then the conf tourney

now they have only az and ku-msu winner in the way to the final 4

if they meet uconn, you're saying you would want pitino to coach and his great team, yes? they are not 12 random players, they are some serious ballers on that team

yet you started a thread that said "give uconn the title"

but uconn played in the big east the same conf as pitino but his boys won

make up your mind bro

UCONN is the best team and will win it all but it will be a challenge...if they had Pitino as coach, they would cakewalk through it