They'll Believe in Anything: Study says atheists are more irrational

They’ll Believe in Anything: Study says atheists are more irrational

A new Gallup study, “What Americans Really Believe,” suggests that if anti-religious crusaders Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins want a more rational, less superstitious world, they should encourage people to go to church. A recent Wall Street Journal article reported that, according to the study…

“…traditional Christian religion greatly decreases belief in everything from the efficacy of palm readers to the usefulness of astrology. It also shows that the irreligious and the members of more liberal Protestant denominations, far from being resistant to superstition, tend to be much more likely to believe in the paranormal and in pseudoscience than evangelical Christians…

The Gallup Organization, under contract to Baylor’s Institute for Studies of Religion, asked American adults a series of questions to gauge credulity. Do dreams foretell the future? Did ancient advanced civilizations such as Atlantis exist? Can places be haunted? Is it possible to communicate with the dead? Will creatures like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster someday be discovered by science?

The answers were added up to create an index of belief in occult and the paranormal. While 31% of people who never worship expressed strong belief in these things, only 8% of people who attend a house of worship more than once a week did.”

These findings are in line with the myth-shattering work of recent historians, who’ve discovered that more people believed in witches and the paranormal after the Protestant Reformation than in the era before. A major reason for that was the authority of the Catholic Church, which was a bulwark against popular superstition and irrationality during the Middle Ages—Monty Python notwithstanding.

G.K. Chesterton had it right when he said:

“When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing—they believe in anything.”

Re: They'll Believe in Anything: Study says atheists are more irrational

The religion of atheism makes you more stupid and gullible.

Who would have thunk it! :doh1

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

rticle history George Bush believes he is on a mission from God, according to the politician Nabil Shaath. Photograph: Charles Dharapak/AP

George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.Mr Bush revealed the extent of his religious fervour when he met a Palestinian delegation during the Israeli-Palestinian summit at the Egpytian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, four months after the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Joey has his own interal polling mechanism

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

The Wall Street Journal?

Ohhhh .... there we gooooo

The printed version of the Glenn Beck Show

Yeah .... no bias there

So, let me get this straight. . .A study paid for by Baylor University--which happens to be closely affiliated with a sect which is first in line when they put out the call for wacky fringe thumpers--finds that people who don't regularly attend church are more gullible? Okay, I'll buy that; and wrap me up a big piece of that bridge your selling too. . .

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Joey C .....

You will enjoy this "Special Moment"

Raw Video: Palin Saved From 'Witchcraft'

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl87635.swf" style="" id="movie_player" name="movie_player" bgcolor="#000000" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="fexp=903300&ad_channel_code=invideo_overlay_480x70_cat25,afv_overlay,VidVert396,VidVert502&ad_host_tier=41081&vq=null&cr=US&sk=lEbjEHX84ODHQ79oYR_5tsa0K08jA2oTC&invideo=true&tk=AkFrGmggvcOKc85YQRAGVHr01hzIdGOLsrJ5HPlj_QjPPNIQfg3CMA==&plid=AARnDoLjtQVskyU2&afv=true&ad_video_pub_id=ca-pub-6219811747049371&usef=0&sourceid=ys&ad_host=ca-host-pub-7659031411465943&fmt_map=34/0/9/0/115,5/0/7/0/0&hl=en&cust_p=52X5wxOL_s5yw0dQk7NtgA&ad_module=http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/ad-vfl88091.swf&video_id=QIOD5X68lIs&l=144&q=palin%27s%20witch%20doctor&t=vjVQa1PpcFMTz5R_TcZvreFIyvNs87NCVJN6-cWx61o=&ad_tag=http://ad-yt-bfp.doubleclick.net/pfadx/com.ytpwatch.newsandpolitics/main_1123;sz=480x70;kl=N;!c=1123;k2=396;k2=502;klg=en;kvid=QIOD5X68lIs;kpu=AssociatedPress;kr=A;khd=0;kt=K;ko=p;kpid=1123;kga=-1;u=QIOD5X68lIs|1123;kgg=-1;kcr=us;custp=52X5wxOL_s5yw0dQk7NtgA;dc_dedup=1;&playnext=0&ad_eurl=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DQIOD5X68lIs&enablejsapi=1" width="480" height="385">

The answers were added up to create an index of belief in occult and the paranormal. While 31% of people who never worship expressed strong belief in these things, only 8% of people who attend a house of worship more than once a week did.”

Isn't believing in the DEVIL, DEMONS, and ANGELS a belief in the OCCULT and the PARANORMAL?

Believing that a HUMAN BEING was the manifestation of GOD and that this person ROSE from the DEAD isn't believing in the OCCULT and PARANORMAL?