OT: Car accidents

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated
Re: OT: Car accidents

I just bought this for the wife. She'll wreck it but making her happy is worth it.

Had to get her a big truck so she doesn't get hurt in a crash.

I've been in two accidents. Totaled one car, smashed up the 2nd pretty good. Both times i was drunk and both times I was getting off the freeway and took the exit too fast even though one time was in the rain and the ecstasy pills had kicked in mid trip. that was the only time i'd been afraid when i was driving. it was storming hard. oh well. i'm ok. didn't hurt myself or anyone else. got real lucky. gave all that craziness up. too old for that shit.

Apple

Banned

Here's something that a lot of people don't know.

If someone is going to hit you it's almost better to let them. You cannot avoid an accident and then proceed to cause one, you will be found at fault the majority of times.

I've always found that strange since it's a natural reaction to try and avoid an accident.

Thats true, a long time ago I was going straight on Vermont Ave here in L.A and this guy turned left right in front of me and I swerved to avoid it and was barely a couple of feet away from hitting someone else..

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

I think it's a safe ride. If something were to happen to her i'd lose it. No mo Hennessey.

J

joeybagadonuts

I got a trans am with a 350 cubic inch V8 small block

Not even sure if i went over 100 in it. With the people on the highway who cut ya off or go 2 mph in the passing lane. Going that fast reaction time is cut way too short. Not to mention getting clocked at 100+ by the cops isn't a good thing.

The rush is good. But sometimes common sense is >

Here in California there is a 6 lane highway called I-280 that was built, I believe in the 1950s to with the expectation that cars of the future would be traveling much faster, it has long straightaways as well as very wide looping curves that are safe and easy to go 80mph+ (according the engineers that built it, not the law, which allows a max of 65mph. There are rarely people going under 80 as a matter of fact, it's a beautiful drive and even though you are going fast, it feels safe. The 130 I did was NOTHING compared to being a passenger in a car doing 180+. My friend bought a Ferrari and a Porsche Turbo when our company got bought and a group of us took them racing on the highway I mentioned. Now, THAT WAS FUCKING SCARY!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_280_(California)

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), SUVs are four times more likely to roll over in an accident than a regular car. While rollovers represent only about 3 percent of all crashes in the United States, they represent almost 33 percent of highway deaths.

Here in California there is a 6 lane highway called I-280 that was built, I believe in the 1950s to with the expectation that cars of the future would be traveling much faster, it has long straightaways as well as very wide looping curves that are safe and easy to go 80mph+ (according the engineers that built it, not the law, which allows a max of 65mph. There are rarely people going under 80 as a matter of fact, it's a beautiful drive and even though you are going fast, it feels safe. The 130 I did was NOTHING compared to being a passenger in a car doing 180+. My friend bought a Ferrari and a Porsche Turbo when our company got bought and a group of us took them racing on the highway I mentioned. Now, THAT WAS FUCKING SCARY!!!

seems pretty sweet there. 180 is nuts lols. Passenger always feels scaring. I remember when my bud did donuts in the parking lot in his trans am. I was like wtf and scurred hahah

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Joey. I made it from the Bay to LA in just under 4 hours. Swear to god. Was crusin in my Acura TL doin like 120. At one point I was racin this BMW, so i thought, the guy quits dickin around with me and just blows past me while i was doin 135. We quit the bullshit and i followed him, we both pulled off for gas and I asked him how fast he got up to. 160. ever since i've been wanting an M5. bad ass car. the kicker was hehad 5 people in the car including his grandma. crazy fucker.

that was on 5 though, not 280.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), SUVs are four times more likely to roll over in an accident than a regular car. While rollovers represent only about 3 percent of all crashes in the United States, they represent almost 33 percent of highway deaths.

2007 Chevy Tahoe Safety Rating

<table class="factbox" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Front, Passenger's</td> <!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Front, Driver's</td> <!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Other, Rollover Resistance</td> <!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table>

2007 Chevy Tahoe Safety Rating

<!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <!-- the first item is row description, others are row data (cells) --> <table class="factbox" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Front, Passenger's</td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Front, Driver's</td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Other, Rollover Resistance</td> <td> </td></tr></tbody></table>

hope all goes well :cheers

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

time will tell. my cousin flipped her grand cherokee. rolled it after swerving on the freeway. car was totaled but she walked away from it. buckle up kids. it at least gives you a chance.

J

joeybagadonuts

Joey. I made it from the Bay to LA in just under 4 hours. Swear to god. Was crusin in my Acura TL doin like 120. At one point I was racin this BMW, so i thought, the guy quits dickin around with me and just blows past me while i was doin 135. We quit the bullshit and i followed him, we both pulled off for gas and I asked him how fast he got up to. 160. ever since i've been wanting an M5. bad ass car. the kicker was hehad 5 people in the car including his grandma. crazy fucker.

that was on 5 though, not 280.

Oh, I believe you. I made it from LA to San Jose in a tad under 4. I was driving the aforementioned Porsche Turbo. I was too scared to drive it too hard since my friend had only had it a few months, he left it in LA after he drove it there and was going to be out of town for the next few months, he called me to ask if I would be willing to drive it back down to the Bay Area for him, which of course I did.

I TORE UP the 5 right before you take the one little freeway over from the 5 to 101 in Gilroy. I was racing people all over the place. Leaving it in 3rd or 4th and hitting 130+. It was exciting, the only thing was the car was really low to the ground and loud, Porsches aren't expensive b/c they are luxurious or have a smooth ride, let me tell you. You feel all the little bumps on the road and its loud as all hell. I was actually a little sore from driving it. That's the other great thing about living around here, there are M5, Benzs, Jags, Ferraris, etc all over so there is always someone to race for some excitement.
:houra

I've been in 3 accidents in my 30 years of driving. One major one in which I totalled my car. Two minor ones but still totalled another car.

The major accident happened during the winter time. A group of us in 3 cars was heading up north to go skiing. The night before had snowed and the snow removal trucks were late coming out the next morning in removing and salting the highways. Up ahead of me a car collided with a truck and caused a chain reaction in which a total of 150 cars collided. I was in the front 20 cars. Before impact and about 200 yards before I hit motorist on the other side of the highway was attempting to flash and give us warning of what was happening ahead. Remember this was 25 years ago and cars did not have ABS brakes. When I realized that I needed to stop I applied the brakes and it skidded a good 150 yards before I plowed into another car that already had collided. I was travelling around 50-55 mph when I hit the other car. Good thing nobody was hurt but my first new car was a write-off.

My second accident happened the week of my wedding. I was rushing to my rehearsal. An out of town er stopped at a yellow light which most local runs. I did not expect that so to avoid ramming this car I swerved to the on coming side of traffic and hit them on the side. My mustang was totalled.

The other minor accident was because another out of town er ran a red light which cause me to t-bone that car.

Luckily every time I was able to walk away without a scratch.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

this is my kinda thread...

#1. I was just turning 17 and heading up to the mall to get a few things, and it was raining out.. I was driving a 86 Rx-7...I gunned it a bit pulling in and the ass end kicked out a bit and my car jumped over the curb and i ran into the big movie sign (the sign with all the times and what movies were playing)...Cop asked me if i learned anything about it all, my response "maybe i should buy better tires so i could have had a lil more grip"... he wasnt impressed, fuck him!...

2. It was around 1am, i just got done putting a boost gage into my 93 Rx-7, so i wanted to test it out...Went to the spot we always did the 1/4 mile run.. Got just past the 1/4 mile part, when i looked up (i was doing around 105-110 mph) and i saw a porcupine inhead of me, stupid me i thought i could swirve around it, well that didnt pan out and my ass end kicked out and my car launched around 50 feet into the woods...I had to climb out of the moonroof as neither door would open, car was completely totaled...

#3.Parents car in this beauty... I was out drinking 1 day, got absolutely blitzed...No shape to drive, the bartended was gonna cut me off hours earlier, unless i handed over my keys to my friend so she could bring me home...I finished off just shy of a bottle of vodka, well we get out to the car and i somehow convince her to letg me drive and her just follow me home...I pull out of the parking lot, and i guess i ran into a parked car, and just kept driving... as i got closer to my house, i ended up runninf into ANOTHER parked car and just kept going.. the next day i woke up to walk outside and when i saw the car, i had zero clue wtf happened, until i called her and got the bitch session...

Blondie

EOG Master

Women drivers... You forgot the part about you were putting makeup on and writing a letter to your friend (didn't have phones back then)

:+textinb3

Hope your back got better. Back problems are no joke.

Nah this was one area of the road I actually paid attention on...

There were two "S" in the road that had all sharp curves.

and yes there were cell phones back then :finger004

In fact, the guy that stopped to see if I was ok asked me if I needed to call my dad. (note: the entire time he is asking me if I am ok I am muttering "my dad is going to kill me over and over :blink:)

Poor guy my response to him was....

"Do I have to?" :LMAO

mofome

Banned

Mo, I barely ever drive. Just to work and back, really. I get HORRIBLE driving anxiety to the point where I've had to pull over for fear I was going to pass out. People make fun of me too. :+comfort+

My mom crashes cars like it's her job. Poor thing. Somehow it always ends up being faulted to her even though there was nothing she could do.

I've been in a couple with her. One really bad one (Mom was pretty messed up, but I was fine) and one that was pretty scary, but the guy just got out of his car, yelled for a minute and drove away. That was fine by us...she hit him.

I've been in at least a dozen accidents, but only two while I was driving. Both of those were just fender benders. One was my fault, the other one wasn't.

I lost a friend in an accident. Another friend killed someone and spent a year in jail. My current BF told me a terrible story about flipping one of his cars going 80 in the rain because the crazy bitch he was dating told him to slow down but he didn't listen, so she screamed "Oh, so you have a death wish?" and yanked the wheel. Her friend in the back seat was pretty hurt. Lucky for me, he made it out without any major injuries.

So yeah, car accidents are a big fear of mine...but it doesn't stop me from driving like a total asshole when I'm behind the wheel. It's kill or be killed around here...which is why I make my BF drive me everywhere.

Anywho, I'm terrified of driving. RI, MA and CT drivers are the WORST.

momma mo crashes like 123 too. its scary being in the car when shes driving and scary when she takes off and is gone more than 20 mins.

2938u4ji23

mofome

Banned

I could not imagine being such a pussy that I wouldnt drive because I was scared.

everyone is different. you would probably shit all over yourself if someone put a gun in your back, i did not. interesting how tough people are online.

nowshe-online:suit:

nowshe-reallife:+flipping

I know from first hand experience airbags work wonders. About 10 years ago I was driving home, ran a red light and pulled right in front of a Suburban going about 60 mph that T-boned my Acura and literally halved it's width. I vividly remember the gut instinct that I just made a life changing mistake, the sound of metal crunching and windows breaking, and the bags blowing out all around me. After that everthing was a blur.

Somehow I managed to get out of the car and sit on the curb. When my head cleared I had my phone in my hand and a bunch of people trying to get me to lay down in the grass. At that point I remember I had made a call right before the accident (so the crash was definitely my fault), but I couldn't remember who I was talking to. Went to the hospital and ended up just having a mild concussion and going home.

I got to work the next day and listened to my messages. The first message was me calling myself the night before to remind myself to book a flight to Vegas. I cut out three or four words into the message and all you could hear was the sound of two cars crunching, me groaning, and then some people who witnessed it screaming. Because I called myself, I almost killed myself.

The most fucked up thing about it is the lady I pulled in front of was drunk off her ass and she spent the next two days in jail. Karma for drunk driving.

Timetopay

EOG Master

everyone is different. you would probably shit all over yourself if someone put a gun in your back, i did not. interesting how tough people are online.

nowshe-online:suit:

nowshe-reallife:+flipping

How do you think he would react if someone put a penis on his back?

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

I once went 165....(spedometer only went to about there).....but I have to think the callibration was off so I'd say I went somewhere between 150-165......scary as hell.....looking back, I'm lucky I'm not dead....road wasn't straight...small curves here and there

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

I avoided a bad accident once, and ever since that day I've always done whatever I could to stay attentive while driving. I was going 45 on a busy street by my house and the guy next to me just started switching lanes while I was in the next one. I swerved up into the gas station and out the other exit to avoid him. Scary, scary scary shit.

trying to picture this in my head and this is either one of the coolest driving maneuvers I have heard of (not in a movie) or one of the most idiotic ones ever.

(I guess it depends on how badly you needed to pull this maneuver vs. a smaller swerve or braking)

J

joeybagadonuts

trying to picture this in my head and this is either one of the coolest driving maneuvers I have heard of (not in a movie) or one of the most idiotic ones ever.

(I guess it depends on how badly you needed to pull this maneuver vs. a smaller swerve or braking)

This is the Manej the claimed this happened. You make the call.

:hangt

BTW, Shdw01 check out my avatar, I put up a pic of my parents house in Hawaii I was telling you about from Google Earth.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

anyone here ever been in a car accident but lie about being hurt when you really wasn't so you could get an insurance settlement?

Wasn't the Montero or some shit given a failing rating cuz it kept flipping on sharp turns?

railbird

EOG Master

I think they should raise the age to 21. I think more tailgaiting tix shlould be inforced. I think people need to slow down.

I think they should raise the age to 21. I think more tailgaiting tix shlould be inforced. I think people need to slow down.

21 to drive, is a bit ridiculous !

One could certainly be capable at even 13.

16 is about right. Esp. now with some restrictions on it, in many states.

Take an 18 year old out of HS, doesn't go to college... he can't drive until 21 ?

What is standard in most countries ?

momma mo crashes like 123 too. its scary being in the car when shes driving and scary when she takes off and is gone more than 20 mins.

2938u4ji23

:cheers

I HATE driving with my mom. Luckily, she hasn't gotten a new car since she totaled her last one. Oddy enough, I let her drive my car. She only crashes cars she owns...so far.

I think tix should be given to people doing more than ten miles under the speed limit. They're more dangerous thatn speeders sometimes.

I didn't realize we were talking about avoiding accidents too! I have LOTS of those stories! Once I stopped within inches of a cotton head that pulled out right in front of me. I was leaning on my horn and my breaks were sreaching and she still didn't even notice I was there. Another time a Pube Head (Cotton head with a bad brown dye job) just about killed me. There had been construction on this one stretch of road for a while. The construction had finished, but they still hadn't taken down the sign that said "Left Lane Closed". Now, there were NO cones or anything in the road to make one think that the left lane was actually closed....just one small sign at the start of one end of what USED to be a construction area. To this day I don't know why, but I had a feeling about this woman. I almost didn't even pass her in the left lane because I just had a feeling she was going to turn into the hardware store (on the left), but she was going like 25 in a 35 and I can only take so much of that. So, as I'm about to pass her....you guessed it...bitch took a left into the hardware store from the right lane. I honsetly don't remember how I avoided that one, but I must have.

I could go on all day. Living in an area with a HUGE out of town population SUCKS. We've got college kids, tourists and Navy personnel from all over the coutry. Add to that our roads are really designed to handle about 1/3 of the traffic they actually see and the fact that NO ONE outside of New England knows how to used a damn rotary (or roundabout)...and...well...driving around here blows. I can think of at least a dozen near death experiences in one rotary alone.

Oh and I left out one accident before. I put my first car in a ditch while trying to smoke a blunt before school and arguing with my passenger over the radio station. Oopsie. I was 16...and I still hate that stretch of road to this day. It looks like there's a nice shoulder before the ditch drops off, but it's really just long grass. This would be reason #859 why I no longer smoke while driving. Though, to be fair, it was before one school one morning, so I was also half asleep. It had to be in the one part of town where I didn't have cell service too.

I think tix should be given to people doing more than ten miles under the speed limit. They're more dangerous thatn speeders sometimes.

That can be done on an interstate, like with a limit of 65, and a minimum speed of 45, but I doubt a cop can issue a ticket for going 30 in a 45.

I didn't realize we were talking about avoiding accidents too! I have LOTS of those stories! Once I stopped within inches of a cotton head that pulled out right in front of me. I was leaning on my horn and my breaks were sreaching and she still didn't even notice I was there. Another time a Pube Head (Cotton head with a bad brown dye job) just about killed me.

interesting terms !

There had been construction on this one stretch of road for a while. The construction had finished, but they still hadn't taken down the sign that said "Left Lane Closed". Now, there were NO cones or anything in the road to make one think that the left lane was actually closed....just one small sign at the start of one end of what USED to be a construction area. To this day I don't know why, but I had a feeling about this woman. I almost didn't even pass her in the left lane because I just had a feeling she was going to turn into the hardware store (on the left), but she was going like 25 in a 35 and I can only take so much of that. So, as I'm about to pass her....you guessed it...bitch took a left into the hardware store from the right lane. I honsetly don't remember how I avoided that one, but I must have.

I could go on all day. Living in an area with a HUGE out of town population SUCKS. We've got college kids, tourists and Navy personnel from all over the coutry. Add to that our roads are really designed to handle about 1/3 of the traffic they actually see and the fact that NO ONE outside of New England knows how to used a damn rotary (or roundabout)...and...well...driving around here blows. I can think of at least a dozen near death experiences in one rotary alone.

I'm somewhat familiar with rotaries, we have some in CT, if you're not sure which way to go, drive around the thing 2-3 times, while you figure it out. GPS doesn't seem to know which way to go. I don't much like them in Mass.

Oh and I left out one accident before. I put my first car in a ditch while trying to smoke a blunt before school and arguing with my passenger over the radio station. Oopsie. I was 16...and I still hate that stretch of road to this day. It looks like there's a nice shoulder before the ditch drops off, but it's really just long grass. This would be reason #859 why I no longer smoke while driving. Though, to be fair, it was before one school one morning, so I was also half asleep. It had to be in the one part of town where I didn't have cell service too.

You look great in your avatar, as always, girl !