MJ or Lebron? Who would you take

WebGem

Banned
Had a convo at work today and it got pretty heated on this subject. If you were building a team today and you knew what you know about Lebron now and MJ for his career. Who do you start your team with?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: MJ or Lebron? Who would you take

:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt:hangt
You got to be kidding me. Where do you work, a nail salon?

tripp

EOG Master

We get Michael Jordon's full career? If so I take MJ and it doesn't take me more than 1 second to make up my mind. You will likely not find a bigger fan of LeBron on this board either. I think the guy is simply amazing and will retire in the Jordan class, but Jordan is #1 all time by a good amount and no way anyone could pass on that.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

At this stage of their careers, LeBron, and I'm a Jordan fan.

That's not what the question was. Re-read it again.

By the way, Jordan's numbers early on in his career were better than Lebron's. The age thing shouldn't hurt Michael. Also, Lebron's career will be shortened because of when he started, in all likelihood.

In Jordan's third year he averaged 37 PPG, 5 RPG, 5 APG, and nearly 3 steals per game. He was 23/24 that season.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

If they played at the same time, Jordan would be the heralded player. Jordan's goal wasn't MONEY in life, it was championships. Lebron has stated multiple times that he wants to be the richest black man alive. His motivation is different.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

I would take Kobe....but given the choices, considering Lebron.

Knowing Jordan's career and assuming Kobe/Lebron have everything else being equal:

1) Have to think Lebron plays 4 additional years (since Jordan spent college at UNC)

2) Jordan has gone on his baseball binge and missed 1 or 2 more years when he could've been very good.

3) Jordan had a better supporting cast compared to Lebron and played (IMO) in a weaker NBA. There were stars (Magic, Bird, Wilkins, Hakeem, Ewing, etc.)....but today's NBA has stars on every team...many multiple....(Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, McGrady, Garnett, Howard, etc.) If Lebron wins 6 (or more) before all is said and done, that will be more impressive to me....

I think starting a team I want:

1) Championships
2) Sold out home games every night
3) Lots of revenue from other sources (i.e. jersey sales)

Lebron holds his own but I think for now Jordan wins out on these three.....the additional years Lebron would be projected to play gives him the edge IMHO

That's not what the question was. Re-read it again.

By the way, Jordan's numbers early on in his career were better than Lebron's. The age thing shouldn't hurt Michael. Also, Lebron's career will be shortened because of when he started, in all likelihood.

In Jordan's third year he averaged 37 PPG, 5 RPG, 5 APG, and nearly 3 steals per game. He was 23/24 that season.

It sounds like you are basing a lot of the Jordan argument on titles. James can get six also. Did you know Lebron is avg 27.9 pts/game in the playoffs for his career? What did Jordan do better than James three years into his career? I'm not saying James is better, but he is not worse.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

This is hilarious. It really is. Jordan is one of, around, 5 players to win more than 5 titles. He's the greatest of all-time and some kid who hasn't even won a finals game can be in the discussion with him because he had played well for four years? Get out of here.

People aren't even positive he's the best player in the NBA. Some would argue. There's NO QUESTION, Jordan is the best player of all-time, and you want to tell me that some kid who may not be the best in the league now is more worthy than Jordan of anything on the court? No chance.

Jordan put 63 points up against one of the three greatest teams in the history of the NBA. Larry Bird called him god. Get out of here with all this Lebron bullshit. Win something first.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

If they played at the same time, Jordan would be the heralded player. Jordan's goal wasn't MONEY in life, it was championships. Lebron has stated multiple times that he wants to be the richest black man alive. His motivation is different.

okay, lebron gets paid by the point/assist/rebound......and I take away from paychecks when he causes turnovers.....

10 million bonus per NBA championship......as an owner, the ends might justify the means if Lebron is hooking me up

This is hilarious. It really is. Jordan is one of, around, 5 players to win more than 5 titles. He's the greatest of all-time and some kid who hasn't even won a finals game can be in the discussion with him because he had played well for four years? Get out of here.

People aren't even positive he's the best player in the NBA. Some would argue. There's NO QUESTION, Jordan is the best player of all-time, and you want to tell me that some kid who may not be the best in the league now is more worthy than Jordan of anything on the court? No chance.

Jordan put 63 points up against one of the three greatest teams in the history of the NBA. Larry Bird called him god. Get out of here with all this Lebron bullshit. Win something first.

So Bill Russell is the best ever. Thread locked.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

FWIW, i hate lebron....

and I still like today's NBA to rock the shit out of Jordan's NBA.....(not talking dream team vs redeem team....i'm talking bulls today vs. bulls 10-15 years ago, celts today vs. celts 10-15, etc.)

FWIW, i hate lebron....

and I still like today's NBA to rock the shit out of Jordan's NBA.....(not talking dream team vs redeem team....i'm talking bulls today vs. bulls 10-15 years ago, celts today vs. celts 10-15, etc.)

That Celtics team that Jordan got the 63 on is regarded as the best Celtics team ever. The teams then are better fundamentally, especially passing than today.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Let me put it this way, because this was how the question was asked:

If I started a team today, I could be guaranteed to have, arguably, the greatest NBA career/player of all-time and there's no question about that.

Or I could start with Lebron, an extremely talented player and a great physical specimen. He's not the scorer that Mike was but he's a terrific all-around player. He may turn out to be better than Mike, but odds don't say he will be.

Give me the sure thing, greatest of all-time to this point over a gamble.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

That Celtics team that Jordan got the 63 on is regarded as the best Celtics team ever. The teams then are better fundamentally, especially passing than today.

sorry, i meant every team....not just bulls or celtics.....spurs today vs spurs back then, nuggets, twolves, hawks, etc....

these are the guys Lebron faces night in and night out.....there were only so many charles oakley's back in MJ days.....now every team can "send out the goones"

Let me put it this way, because this was how the question was asked:

If I started a team today, I could be guaranteed to have, arguably, the greatest NBA career/player of all-time and there's no question about that.

Or I could start with Lebron, an extremely talented player and a great physical specimen. He's not the scorer that Mike was but he's a terrific all-around player. He may turn out to be better than Mike, but odds don't say he will be.

Give me the sure thing, greatest of all-time to this point over a gamble.

I saw 99% of Jordan's games. Believe me, Lebron will win multiple titles. Plays far better defense at this stage of his career than Jordan too.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Nothing is ever guaranteed. Jordan was the greatest. I wouldn't gamble on the fact that someone could be SLIGHTLY better. Jordan is basketball, and was basketball. No matter how good Lebron is, he'll never top that. Jordan was the first international superstar in the NBA.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. Jordan was the greatest. I wouldn't gamble on the fact that someone could be SLIGHTLY better. Jordan is basketball, and was basketball. No matter how good Lebron is, he'll never top that. Jordan was the first international superstar in the NBA.

He may be the greatest you've seen, we'll leave it at that. Don't underestimate the role Pippen had in Jordan winning those titles.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Michael Fucking Jordan and anyone saying Lebron is a dolt.

Anybody that says Lebron probably thinks all the best movies were made in the last 5 years too.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

Bill russell is the greatest ever. Nobody will ever achieve what he has done but that is mainly because it was done in another era and the league is so watered down now it just can't happen. With that being said I don't think the players of that era could compete with the players of today. Peole can argue all they want it's just my opinion. Jordan is the best player ever. I would rank lebron number 3 in the league right now so I'm not sure how this could be debated.

kobe

lebron/wade are battling for second place.

lebron over jordan :LMAO

I'm not really sure lebron will see any rings to be honest. The best chance he has is staying with the cavs and forcing them to pick up some weapons in the offseason. They won't beat the lakers this year and if he goes to ny or nj and eats a bunch of cap they won't do it for them either both squads are trash and not good on d at all. Look at garnett and all those years spent eating up cap. He got one ring and maybe another before he retires. I think lebron will be on a bum squad chasing dollars in the same way

WebGem

Banned

MJ was better clutch player, hit free throws, better leader, more competitive, better defender

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Imagine Jordan playing his PRIME with todays ESPN!

LMAO

Would be the nuttiest thing ever!

abe frohman, why did ye start this thread with ye ghost and then come in to argue as da fingers? done make no sense to me pardnuh.