Thurs 4/30 NHL...

Hawks Fan

EOG Enthusiast
Took a position on Anaheim... Took it for value only and will hedge out if need be as the series goes on...

Ducks +255 (2) Series

Hawks Fan

EOG Enthusiast
Re: Thurs 4/30 NHL...

Here is how I look at the 4 series:

Anaheim/Detroit: Anaheim has a chance if they can play smart and slow down Detroit's game, if not then they will be out quick... I took 2 units on Anaheim, if I don't like what I see will hedge out at some point during the series...Detroit could be flat after their long layoff in game one especially the first period....

Hawks/Canucks: This is a series of wills. Which team can impost their style the most will win. Chicago likes uptempo and quick for score goals, Vancouver wants it slower, grind it out... Not playing series here but will look for plays during the series once I see how things play out...

Canes/Bruins: Really like Boston here but don't like laying 2-1 in a series, most times I take plus money and hedge later... Will be looking to see how things go as Carolina is a much better team now than 3 months ago...Going to look for games to play in series... Game 1 could be a play on Canes because Boston has been sitting around for 9 days and probably wont be game sharp in the first period of game 1.... Ward is playing at a very high level and he could easily even this series out if he continues...

Penguins/Capitals: WOW! This is could be a great series... I would lean to Penguins as I still question Washington's goaltending... Won't be playing the series as nothing to take back... WIll be playing games during the series, could see some really good value...

SO I look for Penguins, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks (of course)

Have to take the Hawks, right??? EIther way I see some really good hockey being played and some exciting series....

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

My two cents worth:

Detroit/Anaheim: the way to beat Detroit is to grind them into the boards every chance you get with physical play. The smaller Detroit forwards can get worn down with this play. Anaheim was the West team I feared the most going into the playoffs and now we have to play them. Hiller is playing very well, and Osgood will need to be solid. Difference in the series to me is offence, and a motivated Hossa.

Hawks/Canucks - agreed that Canucks play a boring brand of hockey, slowing the game down and limiting shots on Luongo (the best goalie in the game). Hawks are young and showed last night that they can score here, but they need to be disciplined. 8 mins of penalties in first 15 mins, and more in second with TWO 4 min penalties has to stop. They can win this series.

Canes/Bruins - like Winky, I believe that the Bruins are overrated. I like the Canes and the way they are scoring from many lines with Staal leading the way. Whitney is on fire. Ward stood on his head against Jersey. Bruins are balanced but with no real star (Savard?) but this will be close, like the series with Jersey for the Canes. Another series that the underdog can win.

Pens/Caps - to me, this series will show how poorly coached defensively the Caps really are. The rookie Russian goaltender is playing well, but has not seen offence like the Pens will send his way. The Caps almost lost to a weak Ranger team and looked lost in Game 7. Pens who were in the Stanley Cup final last year know what it takes to win. Fleury in the Pens net played very well against the Flyers. Pens will need a better effort here against the Caps, but they should win it.

As for betting I like the underdog bet in each series and think that they will all be close.

Hawks Fan

EOG Enthusiast

Hey NoNewbieca thanks for the comments, like it...
In your opinion what makes the Bruins overrated?

As far as Pens/Caps series. I can understand why you think the Caps are playing bad but you have to remember the Rangers play a different style and they played close to the vest as they do not score goals... Can't cap a series by how the teams played in past series against different teams, styles, and game plans...

In my eyes the big question is how Varlamov will play I see what could be a big advantage in net with Fleury... The kid may play ridiculously well or he may be exposed.

The Bruins don't have a big star but you don't need one... They have a very deep team and every line contributes. Really don't see how they are overrated... I think Carolina is not as deep and they don't matchup as well with the Bruins compared to the Devils...

Ducks have to be physical and play their game and to me Hiller has alot of weak spots with how he plays and the WIngs could really expose him....