Rachel Alexandra is the best filly of all time

Apple

Banned
Re: Rachel Alexandra is the best filly of all time

The best I've seen.. Never saw Ruffian but Rachel is a freak.

The Devil

EOG Master

Try Ruffian or Priceless Gem.........Rachel is still a baby............

mr merlin

EOG Master

She looked good, i had put $100 to win on her, but...Mine that bird almost caught her and I would have to take him over her in the belmont. I have a somewhat strange question for some of you horse people, why is the fact that shes a filly such a big deal(I understand the fillies are generally smaller)? Do female horses run slower than males? and do male horses have the same gender bias that male humans seem to have?

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Ruffian was the best female ever....Rachel would have NEVER gotten her nose past Ruffian on any part of the track...

akillies

EOG Veteran

greatness is measured by the competition, who exactly has this filly beat?
how many track records set?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

greatness is measured by the competition, who exactly has this filly beat?
how many track records set?

Here's the one thing that i think people are confusing about the 'greatness' argument.

Some people will argue that Rachel isn't the best filly ever because there have been fillies who have accomplished more, have won more grade 1's, beaten the boys more than once, etc.

At least when i talk about 'who's better' i don't really care about accomplishments that were accumulated over a long career. All i'm talking about is one race, that horse's best possible race.

In my opinion (extremely humble at that) if you put Rachel in a match race vs any filly ever, and make it the day when both Fillies were going to run their best possible lifetime race, i feel Rachel would win. She's that good.

Lets hope the connections don't ruin her...........they brought her back quick today and she had a grueling race, lets hope she gets a nice long rest and gets ready for a late summer campaign. I dont want to see her in the Belmont.

Brewers in 7

EOG Dedicated

remember she has lost 2 races they were early but she did lose, and if u flip flop borel and smith yesterday she probably wouldve got beat then too

Zenyatta would take her down. Only shot for Rachel is if she ran at 4 against Zenyatta.

I remember Go for Wand against Bayakou...That was a war for 1 mile until Go-for-Wand broke down. Go for wand was 3 Bayakou was 5....Big difference for fillies.

Zenyatta is the best female horse bar none.

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

Bigger sample needed to make a valid comparison.That field yesterday
was real bad.Horses with no excuses didn't fire.

All in all,she is impressive.Would love to see her in The Belmont.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

I bet on here daddy in the Kentucky Derby.

His best race in the Triple Crown races on 2002 was his second place finish in The Belmont. So she probably can handle the distance.

Brewers in 7

EOG Dedicated

Bigger sample needed to make a valid comparison.That field yesterday
was real bad.Horses with no excuses didn't fire.

All in all,she is impressive.Would love to see her in The Belmont.

much rather see her run in the travers , that will be a better gauge on her vs the 3 yr old crop than the preakness was or belmont will be..

mofome

Banned

when will they announce whether or not she will go at the belmont?

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

mofome that will come in about 7 days from now their intentions...so NY racing can use that to hype up the event and market it...Im 90% sure she will run in the Belmont to be honest just a strong feeling I have watching and reading everything...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

when will they announce whether or not she will go at the belmont?

Probably not till the draw, which is on the wednesday before the race. If she's definitely NOT going, they could announce that any day now......if she 'might' go, they won't say for sure until a couple weeks from now....the key is to see how she's doing, how she bounces back from the effort, how she's eating her grubb and whatnut.

Many experts are saying its a terrible idea for her to race even if she appears, from the trainer's eyes, to be feeling good and ready. I would like her to skip the race and wait for something easier down the line. I think she should stick with beating up the fillies until later in the year. Too many hard races vs the males might wear her down.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

If you ever saw Ruffian, you'd never make that statement.

konck

EOG Veteran

Winning Colors was good to an one of 3 to win the derby

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If you ever saw Ruffian, you'd never make that statement.

Ruffian never (or hardly ever) switched leads. Honestly, the speed, size, scope and raw talent of Rachel would make Ruffian look ordinary, especially at a mile and a quarter or longer.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

Ruffian never (or hardly ever) switched leads. Honestly, the speed, size, scope and raw talent of Rachel would make Ruffian look ordinary, especially at a mile and a quarter or longer.

dont agree with this but love the horse racing discussions and interest that this great horse is brining the sport. so keep it up!

Ruffian set so many track records she was just so much faster (and the kind of early speed that you like Flamingo) that she would crush Rachel, Rachel would not be able to pounce after rating as she would be cooked being a lenght behind Ruffian for 1 mile...and Ruffian would not slow down enough to allow the now dead tired Rachel to catch up...ruffian just too much early speed and carried that speed to multiple track records..Rachel has never come close ot a track record. plus lets not forget Rachel has been beaten soundly already in her career..she has a nice streak of 5 in a row..Ruffian was never beaten until she broke her leg..although I think Foolish Pleasure would have won that race I like colts over fillies in almost every situation in American racing..

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

dont agree with this but love the horse racing discussions and interest that this great horse is brining the sport. so keep it up!

Ruffian set so many track records she was just so much faster (and the kind of early speed that you like Flamingo) that she would crush Rachel, Rachel would not be able to pounce after rating as she would be cooked being a lenght behind Ruffian for 1 mile...and Ruffian would not slow down enough to allow the now dead tired Rachel to catch up...ruffian just too much early speed and carried that speed to multiple track records..Rachel has never come close ot a track record. plus lets not forget Rachel has been beaten soundly already in her career..she has a nice streak of 5 in a row..Ruffian was never beaten until she broke her leg..although I think Foolish Pleasure would have won that race I like colts over fillies in almost every situation in American racing..

Good posts and valid arguments.

I'm a person who doesn't care what a horse has done in the accomplishment department. Here's why i say that.

Lets use basketball as an example. Lets say that there was a solid 10 year NBA veteran with at least one ring and lots of all star visits and a few accomplishments to his credit. Would you have a problem by saying that Lebron is better than this guy after watching Lebron play 1 NBA game? I don't have that problem. If my eyes see an athlete who does something that totally blows me away, i have no problems saying that the guy who's played one game in his entire NBA career is BETTER than a 10 year vet with tons of accomplishments.

Ruffian has more accomplishments and praise no doubt and she would most likely beat Rachel in a 3 furlong race.

Its a good debate, any horse who is even compared to Ruffian in a sentence is really special.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

Bottom Line -Ruffian made me a lifetime fan of this sport ! A truly GREAT Animal. Plus when Rachel A. has a movie made about her like Ruffian did about her life, we can resume this discussion.

no mine that bird would have caught her also...that Derby run was themost incredible things Ive ever seen in horse racing..

Agreed 100%, you will only see a last 1/4 run like that in the "MOVIES". Watch "THE BIRD" win the Belmont by 10+ lenths.

You guys are really nuts to think that Rachel Alexandra is the greatest of all time.

You really must not know horses.

Remember Rags to Riches beat Curlin? In the Belmont? How did that happen? Why wasn't she the greatest? I will tell you why..That horse was so loaded with Procaine and dosed with an unbelievable amount of steroids. She never ran again....She is also giving birth to horses with 2 tails 5 legs.

Champion Fillies of all time....Ruffian, Go For Wand, Zenyatta, The Unbridlled Filly who was undefeated.

Zenyatta is the biggest, most versatile filly I ever saw. She will never be beat.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You guys are really nuts to think that Rachel Alexandra is the greatest of all time.

You really must not know horses. :LMAO

Remember Rags to Riches beat Curlin? In the Belmont? How did that happen? Why wasn't she the greatest? I will tell you why..That horse was so loaded with Procaine and dosed with an unbelievable amount of steroids. She never ran again....She is also giving birth to horses with 2 tails 5 legs.

Champion Fillies of all time....Ruffian, Go For Wand, Zenyatta, The Unbridlled Filly who was undefeated.

Zenyatta is the biggest, most versatile filly I ever saw. She will never be beat.