How Good is Andre Ward?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Looking for Valdosta or a GD to chime in on Ward. I haven't seen him box much since the 2004 games... Is he the next great American boxer?

Re: How Good is Andre Ward?

I did not see last night's fight yet so I'll have to wait to see that to pass judgement on it.

Miranda was a step up for him but far from a defining fight. More of a trial horse at this point as Pantera is a shell of himself since the Abraham fight and more of a paper tiger (a la Popo Freitas, great KO ratio built up undefeated records).

Problem for word is he is in a division bereft of any marquee names. His best fight to make at this point is probably Jermain Taylor, but even he has lost a lot of luster. But that would probably at least get his name out there in the public.

Outside of that he would have to take a worldwide road show and face the likes of Bute, Froch, Kessler on their turf to really make his mark. Pavlik, Hopkins and the like are big names but neither of them are going to come without asterisks.

It's still relatively young in his career but for him to reach the upper echelons he needs a few more veteran fights like Miranda (paging Jeff Lacy, maybe even a Sakio Bika). Then he can try and match the other young guns like Allan Green and Andre Dirrell. If all that happens he could eventually take on a Chad Dawson.

Personally, I like Dirrell more than Ward. Seeing how Ward has the bigger name and hype though I can see where people would get excited about him. The two Andre's facing off down the road once they've generated some buzz could be what that lifeless (and basically three lifeless divisions around it) division needs.

I'll know more once a watch a bit of the Ward-Miranda replay. But as I initially stated he still has a lot to prove. Not that he can't, but his resume is not complete. Nice younger fighter to keep tabs on though.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I did not see last night's fight yet so I'll have to wait to see that to pass judgement on it.

Miranda was a step up for him but far from a defining fight. More of a trial horse at this point as Pantera is a shell of himself since the Abraham fight and more of a paper tiger (a la Popo Freitas, great KO ratio built up undefeated records).

Problem for word is he is in a division bereft of any marquee names. His best fight to make at this point is probably Jermain Taylor, but even he has lost a lot of luster. But that would probably at least get his name out there in the public.

Outside of that he would have to take a worldwide road show and face the likes of Bute, Froch, Kessler on their turf to really make his mark. Pavlik, Hopkins and the like are big names but neither of them are going to come without asterisks.

It's still relatively young in his career but for him to reach the upper echelons he needs a few more veteran fights like Miranda (paging Jeff Lacy, maybe even a Sakio Bika). Then he can try and match the other young guns like Allan Green and Andre Dirrell. If all that happens he could eventually take on a Chad Dawson.

Personally, I like Dirrell more than Ward. Seeing how Ward has the bigger name and hype though I can see where people would get excited about him. The two Andre's facing off down the road once they've generated some buzz could be what that lifeless (and basically three lifeless divisions around it) division needs.

I'll know more once a watch a bit of the Ward-Miranda replay. But as I initially stated he still has a lot to prove. Not that he can't, but his resume is not complete. Nice younger fighter to keep tabs on though.

A guy, whose boxing opinion I respect, said that he looked great last night and that he thought he took some decent strides in that fight alone...

The kid suffered a bad cut in the 1st or 2nd round(can't remember) and his corner couldn't keep it entirely closed and he was able to pummel Miranda. Problem with Miranda and Ward avoided it, was that wild ass swinging bomb of concrete hands Miranda has. Ward was by far in control the entire fight and was able to pick apart the slower and wilder Miranda.

I'd look for Ward to hook up with a Lacy before another step up. His ring generalship is still lacking a bit and with a quick fighter like a Lacy his ability to cut the angles in the ring may be slightly rougher to do with someone of speed. He'd walk over Bika and Taylor still a bit out of his league at this point but a year from now he might be ready.

I thought the story of last night's fight was how bad Miranda looked not how good Ward looked. Miranda looked like a horribly shot fighter. Ward looked OK but he did hold a lot. His power isn't all that either. He is fast and throws a variety of punches but I am not sold on him yet. Stamina looked good and he can move well. Next great American boxer? No, IMO. He has been hurt against some lesser guys and kind of acted funny when Miranda did actually land.