US Postal Service may have to cut delivery and pick-up from six days a week to five

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
In order to work through the economic rough patch, the US Postal Service may have to cut delivery and pick-up from 6 days a week, to 5.
?I think that would be an injustice to the public because it has always been that way,? said Wilmington?s Ella Louise.
Some rely on the postal service for a living. Just ask local business owner, PJ Kelly of Compass Point Developers. ?It certainly would affect getting stuff out to people that we've promised in a timely manner.?
A USPS spokeswoman said going to a five day work week is a last resort, and this is why. In 2006, a law was passed that says the postal service has to pay five billion dollars for the next ten years to pre-fund the cost of benefits for future retirees. That is in addition to the two billion it must pay for its current retirees.
The Postmaster General asked Congress Wednesday to approve restructuring that payment to relieve the financial burden, instead of cutting a delivery day.
Pat Long of Kure Beach said, ?I guess we all do what we have to do during this economic strain.?
A number of factors play in to the weakening USPS bottom line; declining mail volumes, last year's spike in fuel cost and the increasingly turbulent economy.
It is unclear exactly how much a five day work week would save in dollars and cents, but the postal service said, "Savings would be quite tremendous".
There are still many unknowns; what day of the week the USPS would stop delivering, who it will affect - residents, businesses or both, or when it would happen.

texansfan

EOG Master
Re: US Postal Service may have to cut delivery and pick-up from six days a week to five

This again? They were talking about this before? One problem is that the USPS is not allowed to make a profit. They at one time made money but they get to keep none of the profits.

Re: US Postal Service may have to cut delivery and pick-up from six days a week to five

It is a good idea. I think the Seinfeld episode where Kramer went to have his mail "cancelled" brought up some good points.

texansfan

EOG Master

It is a good idea. I think the Seinfeld episode where Kramer went to have his mail "cancelled" brought up some good points.

You can't get rid of the post office. Businesses will always send bills by mail and then you have all the bulk mail...

mofome

Banned

Seinfeld has taught many a good lesson.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

watching seinfeld now.the secret code episode.ironically i just got season 7 in the mail today.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

IF they cut 5 days i heard odds are it might be something like Tues/Wed (most likely Tues) that gets cancelled

it definitely won't be Mon or Fri because those days bookend the work week. Saturday is busy so odds are it won't be that day. by "killing" Tuesday doesn't affect things as much because you can still mail something Priority Mail and still usually get it there by Saturday - maybe Friday

And the fine folks who manage the US Postal Service will now be owning 72% of General Motors on Monday.