Who Is Your Favorite Wrestler?

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated
Re: Who Is Your Favorite Wrestler?

Munchy do you put on a mask when you come to this thread? Kinda like Mil Mascaras?

The Munchkin Man does not wear a mask when he comes to this thread.

However, the Munchkin Man has always wanted to own a replica of the same mask that was worn by The Assassin or The Bolo.

Here is a picture of The Assassin wearing that mask on his website:

Official Website for Jody Hamilton, the Assassin

Munchkin Man

Speaking of the masked wresters topic, SGT Slaughter actually wrestled under a mask for a good portion of his early career.

He was a mainstay in the AWA during the late 70's as one of the Super Destroyers, manged by Lord Alfred Hays

Lord Alfred Hayes use to wrestle under a mask and lost a mask verses mask watch and was also a tv commentator with Lord Layton (NWA).

Chief Big Heart from the 1950s and the 1960s also had a great Indian dance.

Munchkin Man

Was going to mention CBH this evening if people recalled the former NFL player Wahoo MaDaniel - ironically he played on the KC Chiefs for a pre/exhibition game.

kamala...

the wild somoans...

big john studd...

andre...

a few of the wrestlers from G.L.O.W. were hot too...

You're not talking about Bad Bad Mama/Bertha - can't recall which name she used then. As Al Bundy would have said, "She's a biggin."

The Munchkin Man lived in NWA territory most of his life.

If you lived primarily in WWF territory, then you probably do have more memories of WWF trivia than the Munchkin Man does.

On the other hand, the Munchkin Man remembers Lou Albano very well, even going back to the 1960s, when he wrestled as a member of the tag team known as The Sicilians, along with his partner, Tony Altimore. During a few brief visits to various NWA territories, they called themselves The Sicilian Assasins.

Their gimmick was one of a Mafia gangster act. According to the Munchkin Man's sources, they played their roles with so much realism, that certain Mafia figures got upset and actually intervened by asking them to tone down their act.

This was back in the days when the WWF existed under the moniker of the WWWF (The World Wide Wrestling Federation).

As a WWF trivia buff, the Munchkin Man is sure you know that the transition from the WWWF to the WWF took place in the year 1979.

Getting back to Lou Albano, the Munchkin Man has a friend who once met Lou Abano in Cancun almost 20 years ago, where they got their picture taken together at the beach.

Lou Albano gave his personal home telephone number to the Munchkin Man's friend, who later gave it to the Munchkin Man himself. Unfortunately, the Munchkin Man lost it.

The Munchkin Man's friend also gave the Munchkin Man the photograph as well, which is still lying around somewhere. If the Munchkin Man can find it, maybe the Munchkin Man will post it here.

The Munchkin Man also remembers the Mongols, of which there were several versions, as well as Mr. Fuji and Toru Tanaka, and many others. However, Mr. Fuji's primary tag team partner was Mr. Saito.

As a WWF trivia buff, the Munchkin Man is sure you know that Captain Lou Albano was Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka's first manager when he made his debut in the WWF.

Thanks again for the WWF trivia and the memories they evoked for the Munchkin Man.

Feel free to keep it coming.

Happy Holidays!

Munchkin Man

Then you most certainly should recall the Thanksgiving Tradition by then - Starcade. Around that time the NY group came up with their first superstar card - WrestleMania. As memory goes, the opening bout was Tito Santana verses The Executioner and closing the show was Mr. T and Hogan verses Piper and Mr. Wonderful. Follow?

Journeyman

EOG Master

PM you seem to have surprising knowledge in some areas, especially for a female, meant it as compliment.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Those early Starcade shows were fantastic
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PM you seem to have surprising knowledge in some areas, especially for a female, meant it as compliment.

Katrina is my wife. We share everything in our lives including passwords. Perhaps this is what is confusing you. We don't feel the need to have multiple id's to post here and other sites - unlike some.

So, what circuit did you wrestle in? When and under what name(s)?

<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">Those early Starcade shows were fantastic
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Have to agree with you there. Can remember having to go across the Skyway bridge to Sarasota to a venue that was showing it. Will be looking for them at auction sites in spare time - doesn't matter if vhs or dvd format.

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Then you most certainly should recall the Thanksgiving Tradition by then - Starcade. Around that time the NY group came up with their first superstar card - WrestleMania. As memory goes, the opening bout was Tito Santana verses The Executioner and closing the show was Mr. T and Hogan verses Piper and Mr. Wonderful. Follow?

Yes, indeed.

Thanks for the memories!

Munchkin Man

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Greetings:

Another wrestler who deserves honorable mention as a favorite is Ken Patera, who was an Olympic weightlifter before becoming a wrestler.

He started out as a face in the AWA and the NWA, and then later made his debut in the WWF as a heel with newly bleached blonde hair.

Ken Patera once did some prison time for throwing a large rock through the window of a McDonald's restaurant. After getting out of prison, he went straight back to the WWF as a face and feuded with Bobby Heenan and his stable of wrestlers.

Here's a piece of interesting trivia. Ken Patera's brother, Jack Patera, was the first head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, a post he held from 1976 until his firing in 1982.

Munchkin Man

The Devil

EOG Master

CAN'T BELIEVE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE GRAHAM BROS.......DR. JERRY AND BILLY.......

BILLY WAS ONE MEAN DUDE AND LOOKED AWESOME WHEN HE BECAME SUPERSTAR BILLY GRAHAM WITH THAT BALD DOME...........

SSI

EOG Dedicated

Munchkin, you know anything about Georgia Championship wrestling from the 70's, before it merged in the WCW..... Gordon Solie was a great commentator.. had many stars..... ric flair, dick slater, abdullah the butcher and you guys should have seen him..... wildfire tommy rich.....

or what about the texas wrestling with the Von Erich's....

you know the memphis crew, of which Lawler was king........

Ever hear of the Fargo brothers and in particular Jackie Fargo.... he was doing the strut, many years before Flair did it off the ropes........

Greetings:

Another wrestler who deserves honorable mention as a favorite is Ken Patera, who was an Olympic weightlifter before becoming a wrestler.

He started out as a face in the AWA and the NWA, and then later made his debut in the WWF as a heel with newly bleached blonde hair.

Ken Patera once did some prison time for throwing a large rock through the window of a McDonald's restaurant. After getting out of prison, he went straight back to the WWF as a face and feuded with Bobby Heenan and his stable of wrestlers.

Here's a piece of interesting trivia. Ken Patera's brother, Jack Patera, was the first head coach of the Seattle Seahawks, a post he held from 1976 until his firing in 1982.

Munchkin Man

Didn't they promote Ken Petera as "The Worlds Strongest Man"? Speaking of the AWA, don't you think it was self-serving that Vern Gagne was the champ and a part of the 'suits'? Do you recall Mid-South Championship Wrestling as well?

SSI

EOG Dedicated

Hogan is going to host the new "American Gladiators", along with some woman, i forget who she is........

Mid-South Wrestling, was that with Lawler and the memphis crew......

Hogans real life thing, could be a setup....... something to do with his son's wreck and impending lawsuit.....

Hogan is going to host the new "American Gladiators", along with some woman, i forget who she is........

Mid-South Wrestling, was that with Lawler and the memphis crew......

Hogans real life thing, could be a setup....... something to do with his son's wreck and impending lawsuit.....

SSI,

Thanks for the name of the tv show. Haven't a clue as to whom the gal will be either. Why do the tv executives think it will work this time? Seems like their trying to rehash the past.

If Mid-South was with The King, it's not the one I am thinking of sorry unless they merged into ECW. Being older at times I will make mistakes in naming people, places and items - this is most likely is one of them. Looking for the group(s) that merged to form ECW.

Real life verses TV life. Will have to take a backseat and wait to see how this all plays out.

----------------

Has anyone mentioned the original Nature Boy or Harley Race yet?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Frankie Williams? maybe Joe Turco

Holy shit Journey your the first one that ever got that question. Hell back in the aol days there used to be an old time wrestler we use to talk to and he didn't even know. I can't remember the guys name but he was on a show with Vince Junior way back in the day(he can't stand Vince). Like on Phil Donahoue or something like that. The wrestler use to have all this inside info lol. He use to swear up and down that it was Baron Mcgail Sakluna (Spelling is bad on that so sound it out). iI you know who Turko was you sure as heck will know who the Baron was.:houra He use to always go into his tights and hit guys with stuff and then never put the foreign object back in his tights. Like it just vanished or sum shit. By the way Journey who gave Andre a heart attack and who was the wrestler that broke his leg? None of that google shit either. This is the honor system in effect.

Hercules

EOG Addicted

Speaking of Mid South wrestling, a friend of mine named Jim Lanning, who wrestled as a Russian named ?????? Ustinov in the late 80's was a tag team partner with the guy who also wrestled as a Russian in the AWA. They were tag team champs when the other Russian guy who was known for his huge bald head, bolted for the WWF to wrestle with Nikoli Volkov. They were a pretty big tag team in the wwf when Volkov would always sing the Russian national anthem and piss evryone off. Then Sgt. Slaughter came in with the USA USA stuff and then big grudge thing happened, Russia against the USA. Anyways, my friend Lanning and the AWA were left high and dry. I was with Lanning the day he got the call from Vern Gagne telling him to get on a plane to Memphis for a match that night. Pretty boy Doug Summers was going to be his new tag team partner and they were going to lose the AWA tag team Championship belts in Memphis that night to Jerry Lawler and Superstar Bill Dundy. I drove him to the airport and that night, sure enough they lost the belts. I saw Jimmy at the gym the next day back in Minneapolis, and he told me of the rude awakening of being a pro wrestler !!!

TheRightSide

EOG Enthusiast

Fritz Von Erich. The "Iron Claw" was lethal! In the '50's Fritz was draped in swastikas. By 1980, he was one of the most beloved figures in wrestling. These turnarounds are why we love wrestling.

George "The Animal" Steele. I mean really, what is a person that ugly going to do in life besides become a professional wrestler? Nobody could eat a turnbuckle like George.

Miss Elisabeth. Actually a valet and deader than a doornail now, but she was one hot wrestling babe.

The Fabulous Freebirds. We loved to hate them every Satuirday afternoon in Atlanta with Gordon Solie. Terry "Bam-Bam" Gordie was so painfully out of shape but Michael P.S Hayes made up for it. These guys made Hawk and Animal look like pikers.

But until you hit Mexico, you really don't know what a wrestling show is all about.

George the Animal Steele was a high shcool gym teacher and a hell of a football and wrestling coach. I know this as a fact. LOL I could scan my olf shcool yearbook. Otherwise known as George Meyers a teacher at Madison Heights High School In Michigan.

Terry Gordy painfully out of shape??

In his prime, Gordy was one of the best "big men' in the sport, and the best pure wrestler and brawler of the 3 Freebirds.

Hayes was obviously better on the mic, but Gordy was a GREAT wrestler

Hercules

EOG Addicted

George 'The animal 'Steele was a football coach of a teammate of mine in college. The players name was Ken Dallafior, who was an all big ten tackle and later blocked for Barry Sanders with the Detriot Lions !!!
Jim Meyes ( George Steele) also had a masters degree from Michigan State University in Physical education !!! I heard a bunch of great stories about George Steele and he only wrestled 3 months out of the year (summertime ) because of his teaching and coaching duties at Madison Hieghts high school.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Captain Lou Albano and his tag team the Monguls. Munchy do you remember them? How about Fugi and Tanaka? Munchy i would ruin you in WWF triva from back pre wrestlemanis'

I remember both of them. Good stuff. I was at a match at the Boston Garden adn a guy jumped in the ring to fight Tanaka. This was no joke and it was serious and not staged. Tanaka was pummelling the guy before 50 security guys came in beat and dragged that guy out. Wild scene.

Remember Sony King? Bulldog Brower? Stan Stasiak?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Frankie Williams? maybe Joe Turco

Great stiffs here. In Boston there was another stiff Peter Doherty. They actually called him "The Duke Of Dorchester" and he fought alwasy in the Garden (on TV too sometimes)..and he was a fan favorite even though he was a stiff. Crowd loved him because he wa a local and put on a decent show.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

gordon solie and lance russell were two of the best announcers ever.gene okerlund did good interviews back in the day also.add gorilla monsoon in there too.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

did some recording sessions with jimmy hart in the early 90's.we both were on television with our backs turned toward the control board.we both had long black hair from the back that you almost couldn't tell us apart.of course he is about thirty years older than me,lol. didn't show our faces though.i still wish i had that on tape.