Could someone answer a Cigar/Golf Question

ballwonder

EOG Master
I dont golf, but do guys that golf smoke cigars on their outings? Is there no smoking on courses? Want an opinion on something.

dustdevil

EOG Dedicated
Re: Could someone answer a Cigar/Golf Question

You can smoke at any course out there Ball. Not like restaurants.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Okay what are your thoughts on this. Local golf course in a very developed community recrecation center in town. The main drag takes you back to the enormous community center, pools, basekts bla bla bla. Soccer fields, football fields, bla bla bla. Golf course for some reason could never get the right manager in spot to work it right.
A well know person who has owned golf courses in the past has just purchased the golf course recently and things are looking up. Right before the main drag off a major highway is a small new commercial building for lease. Was thinking and wanting to open a cigar shop for some reason near something like a course. Only problem is I dont know much about cigars or golf. Would these two work out well?

munson15

I want winners...

Almost every course I know sells cigars on the premises, Ball.

railbird

EOG Master

Have yet to see a cigar smoker on the golf course that could play worth a rats ass. Cigar smokers are the geeks that shoot 100.

Cigars, weed or cigarette?
All of the above.

Okay what are your thoughts on this. Local golf course in a very developed community recrecation center in town. The main drag takes you back to the enormous community center, pools, basekts bla bla bla. Soccer fields, football fields, bla bla bla. Golf course for some reason could never get the right manager in spot to work it right.
A well know person who has owned golf courses in the past has just purchased the golf course recently and things are looking up. Right before the main drag off a major highway is a small new commercial building for lease. Was thinking and wanting to open a cigar shop for some reason near something like a course. Only problem is I dont know much about cigars or golf. Would these two work out well?
Times are tough Ball, open a pawn shop.

I have a small piece of one that is doing very well.

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

First order of business is find out what your state will charge as tax for you to both sell and import the smoke items. Match that price with both selection and value at current retail outlets then see if the mark up and volume meet costs or lease and profit margins. :cheers

munson15

I want winners...

And maybe off premises could be a tad cheaper to draw more people.
Possibly, but there's a convenience factor to think about. Most guys buy cigars on impulse, my partner usually gets one at the halfway house before we start the back nine. Not saying it's a bad idea, just not sure. I'm not a smoker, and BTW, my partner is a 9 handicap, so Rail's suggestion that ALL smokers suck at golf doesn't hold water.

Back to your point, location is everything in that type of business, a decent shop that's right on the outskirts of the golf course might be a winner. Gotta sell lots of nice items like lottery cards, etc. It's almost a convenience store with the inventory you carry. Strictly cigars won't cut it if you're not planning on charging high prices for the smokes.

The Devil

EOG Master

MOST GOOD CIGAR SHOPS HAVE A LITTLE CUBAN GUY IN THE WINDOW THAT HAND ROLLS & MAKES THEIR OWN CIGARS...............

ballwonder

EOG Master

First order of business is find out what your state will charge as tax for you to both sell and import the smoke items. Match that price with both selection and value at current retail outlets then see if the mark up and volume meet costs or lease and profit margins. :cheers

Thank you very much Sea. You sound like a buisness major.

:cheers:cheers

cheapseats

EOG Master

cigars and golf revenue comes from discretionary spending, and that is not happening in this economy, smoking is a bad word for the greater population, steer clear wonder

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

I would seriously advise against this idea, Ball. A cigar shop may be a good idea if you do a little research and find it is something that could succeed in your community, but to bank (it sounds like almost exclusively) on business from the golf course would be a recipe for disaster.

Like others have said, but I'll repeat because they are important:
-Most golf courses sell cigars on the premises, and typically right there in the pro-shop where you can pick one or a few up as you're checking in.
-Cigars for golfers are 95% impulse buys. That means probably only 5% would actually bother stopping in your shop first prior to hitting the golf course.

Munson really hit the nail on the head, imo.

What I think could do very well, however, is a de facto clubhouse right off the premises. A sports bar, but also a place that sells the types of things that a convenience store would sell. You could sell cigars and if you want to spend the money build one of those rooms that constantly filters out the smoke and let people buy their cigars and smoke them inside (put a nice big screen at one end of the room and fill it with some chairs and some guys would probably love it).

You're far more lucky to get golfers' business *after* they've played, had a few drinks, and then want to get some food, drink some more, and throw a few more bucks around after enjoying a day on the course than you are getting them prior to golfing when they're still 100% sober and bracing themselves for the greens fees they know they're about to pay.

Hope all that helps. Might not be what you want to hear, but I've been a golfer and been around golfers all of my relatively short life and think my suggestions would better serve ya'.

Best of luck

kid44

EOG Dedicated

A few guys in my Sunday group smoke them. It is kind of a notice to the rest of the gang that their team got a birdie. I do not mind it but some idiots toss them around the green when done. That pisses me off.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Partake in a cigar or two every now and then while on the links. Always buy at a shop though the day before. Much cheaper.

railbird i don't shoot 100's :finger004

SeaDawg

EOG Veteran

If the taxes are not an obstacle in your business plan, and you are working on volume and write up to achieve profit, then you might want to hook up with some of the Costa Rican crew and do research on importing from there. Many good cigars come from Nicaragua, but the political climate is somewhat rocky, where as Costa Ricans are actively encouraged to create exports. Finally an option to consider is to lease a very small space and have a small sitting room with a dark wood table and two leather chairs, with cigar afficionado and wine spectator mags. The cost and headache will be way to much to have a smoking section but people do like to just suck on and sniff their stogies before lighting. Try if at all possible to hire the hottest latina girl possible, even if here english is bad as long as the numbers are good. Make yourself an expert on tobacco's and let the clients come to look at her and listed to you. Ya might even want to send her over first to the golf course to drop off business cards for your place, because even if the course does not want to promote your business they will remember her, and after that perhaps you can get by or soothe over any objections. Good Luck!! :smoking2::cheers

GOGOBIRD

EOG Enthusiast

Ball
What state you talking about here? Have always thought about opening a cigar store as well as cigars are a passion for GoGo. Can certainly help you with figuring out what to put in the store however with legislation these days turning a good profit on a cigar only store could be a real struggle unless you have an interesting marketing hook. Personally smoke them every time golfing here in PA and DE. Have a great local cigar store and often order off internet as well. Have a few fully stocked humidors at home. Cigars much cheaper on the internet which is another problem for a brick store.