Railer - Who's the greatest baseball player of all time?

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: Railer - Who's the greatest baseball player of all time?

Actually... imo, it's Mickey Mantle

Always hated the Yankees but from what I've read/seen, I think The Mick was the most talented player ever, and well, the best...

I'd take a healthy Mick over anyone in history

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I'm horrible with baseball history. Did Mantle play before or after Blacks? If it's before then there should be an asterisk and I would disagree.

Railer? I'd like to know your choice. :cheers

J

joeybagadonuts

Not a chance.

Think So. Cal only. Though I think I remember him saying Nolan Ryan one time...

Or some kid from Long Beach St...

J

joeybagadonuts

I'm horrible with baseball history. Did Mantle play before or after Blacks? If it's before then there should be an asterisk.

Con los negros, ese.

Pinche burro. Estudiate guay!

Integrity

EOG Master

I'm horrible with baseball history. Did Mantle play before or after Blacks? If it's before then there should be an asterisk and I would disagree.

Railer? I'd like to know your pick.

mantle played in the 50s and 60s... with the blacks

i can see a case for the say hey kid, but i prefer mantle...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Try and define what 'greatest' means. Greatest at what? Greatest statistics?

A Rod has better stats than Mantle in some caterories ALREADY, so is Mantle better?

I think that if you are going to make the argument that a player with worse stats is better than a player with better stats, you need a compelling argument to support that.

Do you want to make the argument that Mick is better than Alex?

Integrity

EOG Master

Try and define what 'greatest' means. Greatest at what? Greatest statistics?

A Rod has better stats than Mantle in some caterories ALREADY, so is Mantle better?

I think that if you are going to make the argument that a player with worse stats is better than a player with better stats, you need a compelling argument to support that.

Do you want to make the argument that Mick is better than Alex?

Stats are only one part of the story.

If Mantle was completely healthy and had access to today's training regimens and supplements, and the multi-millions to make it worthwhile to stay completely healthy,then he would easily shatter everything A Rod has done, imo...

To me, Greatest doesn't just speak about stats. It is about talent and what the talent could do- not necessarily what it has done.

Mantle had it all and could've been considered the best all time if he really went for it.

But either way, he was damn good and I think was the best to ever play

J

joeybagadonuts

I'm starting to think you really are a fat Mexican like that book accused you of being. :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

I worked in a restaurant. Oh, and my brother-in-law is some sort of brown mix that speaks Spanish and I grew up speaking with him. It's some sort of Spanglish mostly.

Me no gordo Mexicano, mang

Soy Huero!

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

I worked in a restaurant. Oh, and my brother-in-law is some sort of brown mix that speaks Spanish and I grew up speaking with him. It's some sort of Spanglish mostly.

Me no gordo Mexicano, mang

Soy Huero!

I hate Spanglish. :devil: Either speak Spanish or don't. Either speak English or don't. Don't mix the two. :+whipping

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Stats are only one part of the story.

If Mantle was completely healthy and had access to today's training regimens and supplements, and the multi-millions to make it worthwhile to stay completely healthy,then he would easily shatter everything A Rod has done, imo...

To me, Greatest doesn't just speak about stats. It is about talent and what the talent could do- not necessarily what it has done.

Mantle had it all and could've been considered the best all time if he really went for it.

But either way, he was damn good and I think was the best to ever play

This is a great debate, do we let the older guys have access to all the modern medicine? Because if we don't and we take guys 'as is' no way the older guys are better.

The worst 10% of MLB players today would be stars or borderline stars back 50 years ago. They are just bigger, stronger, faster and most of them started at an early age.

J

joeybagadonuts

I hate Spanglish. :devil: Either speak Spanish or don't. Either speak English or don't. Don't mix the two. :+whipping

We can't all be big shot rich mexers like you, son!

I'm po' white trash that has some mexican relatives and a vacation home in cabo!

:LMAO

Integrity

EOG Master

This is a great debate, do we let the older guys have access to all the modern medicine? Because if we don't and we take guys 'as is' no way the older guys are better.

The worst 10% of MLB players today would be stars or borderline stars back 50 years ago. They are just bigger, stronger, faster and most of them started at an early age.

Well... it's about comparing how they did in their era... but yeah, the only way to settle a debate like this would be to have the old guys be placed in today's era with all the advances and see what they did..

I think Mantle's template would make the best player, all things considered

And my love of Mantle is coming from someone who has ALWAYS hated the Yanks and wanted to see them lose this series until I was talked into grabbing a series wager after game 2, hahahahahaa

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Well... it's about comparing how they did in their era... but yeah, the only way to settle a debate like this would be to have the old guys be placed in today's era with all the advances and see what they did..

I think Mantle's template would make the best player, all things considered

And my love of Mantle is coming from someone who has ALWAYS hated the Yanks and wanted to see them lose this series until I was talked into grabbing a series wager after game 2, hahahahahaa

Mick is what baseball was all about in the day. THat was a guy who wasn't a pussy, the pain he played in was unbearable. That's a ballplayer.

Integrity

EOG Master

Mick is what baseball was all about in the day. THat was a guy who wasn't a pussy, the pain he played in was unbearable. That's a ballplayer.

and that's what makes him the greatest!

he did all of that and still put up some damn good numbers!

just imagine if he were in today's game....

railbird

EOG Master

Ichiro would hvae hit .430 if he was playing back in the early 60's. Best 5 tool player ever.

tripp

EOG Master

if we are talking about pure talent Alex Rodriguez is probably the best player of all time. Will break the HR record most likely, has played gold glove caliber defense, has been as consistent as any hitter to ever play the game..

I love Mantle, but players today are just more talented. mantle might have been the best ever in his era, but if we are talking pure talent of all time A Rod tops the list and Pujols will be right there by the time he is done.

tripp

EOG Master

Ichiro would hvae hit .430 if he was playing back in the early 60's. Best 5 tool player ever.
ichiro is the best pure hitter i have ever seen. i think he lacks the HRs to be best ever, but if he really wanted he could hit over 20 hrs a year easily.

ichiro is amazing though. wish he played his whole career in MLB, would have broken pete rose hits record

Integrity

EOG Master

if we are talking about pure talent Alex Rodriguez is probably the best player of all time. Will break the HR record most likely, has played gold glove caliber defense, has been as consistent as any hitter to ever play the game..

I love Mantle, but players today are just more talented. mantle might have been the best ever in his era, but if we are talking pure talent of all time A Rod tops the list and Pujols will be right there by the time he is done.

but what if mantle was playing in this era?

alex still better?

Integrity

EOG Master

ichiro is the best pure hitter i have ever seen. i think he lacks the HRs to be best ever, but if he really wanted he could hit over 20 hrs a year easily.

ichiro is amazing though. wish he played his whole career in MLB, would have broken pete rose hits record

the shape that ichiro is in, he could prob play til he is 55 and break rose's record too, :+textinb3

tripp

EOG Master

but what if mantle was playing in this era?

alex still better?
its tough to really say. mantle was special though and could have had unbelievable stats. probably my favorite yankee from the past

i think it can be argued Yankees have the greatest OF of all time, greatest 3b of all time, greatest SS of all time, and one of the greatest P of all time (clemens)

Now i would maybe put Mays and possibly Bonds ahead of Mantle, but hes in the top 5 discussion for OFs.

Integrity

EOG Master

its tough to really say. mantle was special though and could have had unbelievable stats. probably my favorite yankee from the past

i think it can be argued Yankees have the greatest OF of all time, greatest 3b of all time, greatest SS of all time, and one of the greatest P of all time (clemens)

Now i would maybe put Mays and possibly Bonds ahead of Mantle, but hes in the top 5 discussion for OFs.

Bonds has the best eye of any hitter ever, I think. He may have done roids, but he still had the eye for when to swing/take.

I can't argue too much against Mays over Mantle, but Mantle did win more. Mantle gets a boost for switch hitting too.

Hard to call Jeter the best SS of all-time tho. Definitely Captain Clutch, no doubt. But I'd take Alex at short over Jeter. Ripken too. And Hanley gonna def be a better overall player than Jeter, just not a better winner. If that makes sense.

Clemens- eh. He did great early, had a struggle then rebounded to finish great in his career. But we all see how enhanced that was, or could've been. Has to discount him some. I like Maddux over Clemens myself. And maybe Randy Johnson in his AZ days. Koufax, Gibson and others over Clemens too I think.

But yeah, you guys have been fortunate to have some of THE BEST players ever. Gehrig has to be in top 1b discussion and of course Ruth- but u mentioned him as greatest OF...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Pedro has incredible numbers for a smallish guy playing in the steroid era. Baffling numbers. Pedro's intensity on every pitch in every game was what made him so many regular season games...he pitched every game like it was a playoff game. Very few can say that.

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Greetings:

The Munchkin Man's vote for the greatest baseball player of all time goes to.........

The Bambino himself...............

Babe Ruth!

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Frank Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Willie Stargell
Richie Allen
Mike Schmidt
Stan Musial
Albert Pujols

Best ten hitters I have ever seen....forgot Tony Gwynn

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Frank Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Willie Stargell
Richie Allen
Mike Schmidt
Stan Musial
Albert Pujols

That's a pretty funny list.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Willie Mays
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Frank Robinson
Roberto Clemente
Willie Stargell
Richie Allen
Mike Schmidt
Stan Musial
Albert Pujols

You must have meant power hitters! How could Rod Carew and George Brett not crack your list ? Maybe you forgot Pete Rose because you only saw him when he played at the Vet!:LMAO