Do you root for sports teams out of your area?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
I've always been fascinated by people who root for teams that are out of their living area and have never lived anywhere near the team they are rooting for. I grew up a few miles from Yankee Stadium and grew up rooting for those guys as a kid, within the last few years i moved to the West Coast, but was a Yankee fan for almost 20 years before i moved. I do 'root' for some So Cal teams, but that's only because i go to the games and it increases the value of my entertainment experience if i root for the home guys.

I feel that people who root for a team that is out of state and they have really no ties to that state is really anti-social behavior. Its really a fascinating case study in what benefit you would have to root for lets say, the Dallas Cowboys when you live in North Jersey?

Is there anyone here who roots for a team that is from a city or area that you've never even been close to living in?

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: Do you root for sports teams out of your area?

Yes. Grew up watching the Braves on TBS and stayed a Braves fan even after the DBacks came into existence locally...

Also, first football game on tv I watched was the Bills, so thus, I became a Bills fan and not a Cards fan, lol.

Never even been to Buffalo or Atlanta, but I love the teams!

you would be surprised how many cowboys fans are in the jersey/philly/ny area that never came close to stepping a foot in texas let alone anywhere outside of the area.

938four

EOG Dedicated

usually root who i have $ on, otherwise i stick to my local teams.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Its fascinating behavior on why a resident of Paramus, NJ would be a fan of a sporting team from Irving, texas and root for those guys ahead of the Northern NJ football club.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Started rooting for the Broncos when they went to the team's first SB vs Dallass

been rooting for them ever since

Root for teams in the So Cal area in every other sport

Yes

more times then not I grow to hate the teams I am near because of how the fans act that I have to be around everyday

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Been a 49er fan ever since I knew what football was...first sweatshirt I was allowed to pick out was a 49er sweater when I was around 4. I've always hated the Broncos with the passion...I don't mix well with people around here on game day.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Have had a winter home in Marco Island and would go to a local place called Rookies. Had about 12 TV's but 1 room dedicated to Packer fans. They travel well. Lots of good times.

Mammon

EOG Master

I kinda like the Canadian teams since they are up north.

August West

Rambler

Lived in upstate NY most of my life.

HATE the Yankees and Giants.

HUGE Eagles fan. When I was in 7th grade most of my friends were Cowboys and Giants fans. I liked Randal Cunningham and Reggie White so started rooting for the Eagles. Now its an obsession. But I do go to at least 1 game a year and have even traveled to a few of their road games out west.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Lived in upstate NY most of my life.

HATE the Yankees and Giants.

HUGE Eagles fan. When I was in 7th grade most of my friends were Cowboys and Giants fans. I liked Randal Cunningham and Reggie White so started rooting for the Eagles. Now its an obsession. But I do go to at least 1 game a year and have even traveled to a few of their road games out west.

I met Randall Cunningham in a supermarket parking lot in Vegas a few years ago and he was super nice to me. We talked football for at least 30 mins, i just went up to him out of the blue and asked him if he was RC and he said "yeah" and i talked football for him for quite a while. He was going to talk longer to me but his wife called his cell and told him to hurry home, but he really gave me the time of day. I might have even told him i was a Giants fan and he still hung out with me. Great guy.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

Yes. Grew up watching the Braves on TBS and stayed a Braves fan

This, back in the early 80s TBS broadcast 150 Braves games a year.
I live in a state with no baseball team, and as a matter of fact the Braves were the 2nd closest team to where I lived at the time anyway. So I dont see the problem.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

This, back in the early 80s TBS broadcast 150 Braves games a year.
I live in a state with no baseball team, and as a matter of fact the Braves were the 2nd closest team to where I lived at the time anyway. So I dont see the problem.

I guess there's no problem if you live in a state with no team, but what about all the Cowboys fans in North Jersey who have never even thought about visiting texas, those guys are the case study as to what would make them root for a team that most of their neighbors hate.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

I know for a fact that I could have been born in a house conected to Yankee stadium on Babe Ruth BLVD and I would still have nothing to do with the Yanks.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I know for a fact that I could have been born in a house conected to Yankee stadium on Babe Ruth BLVD and I would still have nothing to do with the Yanks.

Wouldn't you be cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Though I root for the Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks and Astros, I have alway had a spot for the Dolphins. I think it's because they have the best uniform in professional sports. . .

the only team i root for in my area is my alma mater

other than that its strictly hometown teams and professional teams that drafted/picked up my fav longhorns players (i.e. titans, thunder, etc. etc.)

roseman

EOG Dedicated

no.
if your not a boston fan, your a loser.91023i2ndw;l
Good post though FK, baffles me too, but everyone has a story I guess.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

no.
if your not a boston fan, your a loser.91023i2ndw;l
Good post though FK, baffles me too, but everyone has a story I guess.

When i was a young kid and knew i liked sports but didnt have a favorite team, i did what any responsible kid would do, root for the same team his dad roots for. I asked my dad who his favorite team was and he said the Vikings. I didn't realize any better at the time, so i automatically adopted the Vikings and really got into rooting for them. I had all the vikings shirts and hats and whatnut. Needless to say, one of my best friends growing up was a Cowboys fan and i had to deal with all his crap over that time frame, all the times the Cowboys beat out the Vikings.

I even lost 5 dollars on the super bowl to him (lot of money at the time) when i bet on the Broncos and he took the Cowboys (we didnt know anything about betting spreads, super bowl was straight up back then)

When i got older i asked myself "what the heck am i rooting for the Vikings for, i don't live in Minnesota?" At that moment, i denounced the Vikings and started rooting for all the local football teams. I was a Yanks fan already and a NY Rangers fan, so the only team i switched was NFL. (didnt follow NBA or have a fave team until much later in life) NBA was the last sport i got into watching.

J

joeybagadonuts

I've always been fascinated by people who root for teams that are out of their living area and have never lived anywhere near the team they are rooting for. I grew up a few miles from Yankee Stadium and grew up rooting for those guys as a kid, within the last few years i moved to the West Coast, but was a Yankee fan for almost 20 years before i moved. I do 'root' for some So Cal teams, but that's only because i go to the games and it increases the value of my entertainment experience if i root for the home guys.

I feel that people who root for a team that is out of state and they have really no ties to that state is really anti-social behavior. Its really a fascinating case study in what benefit you would have to root for lets say, the Dallas Cowboys when you live in North Jersey?

Is there anyone here who roots for a team that is from a city or area that you've never even been close to living in?

Where do you come up with this crap? Seriously?

I loved the braves when I was growing up bc like Integ mentioned, there games were played on TBS.

I loved the bulls as did MILLIONS of others around the country and WORLD, well bc there was this guy named Michael Jordan on the team.

People all over the world love the Yanks, are they anti-social?

:doh1

Nope. I have a soft spot in my heart for Texas teams (sans Cowboys) as my in laws are from Texas.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Where do you come up with this crap? Seriously?

I loved the braves when I was growing up bc like Integ mentioned, there games were played on TBS.

I loved the bulls as did MILLIONS of others around the country and WORLD, well bc there was this guy named Michael Jordan on the team.

People all over the world love the Yanks, are they anti-social?

:doh1

yes.

I said anti social, but i really meant to say that there is some kind of social problem they might have if they feel the need to root for an out of state team.

J

joeybagadonuts

yes.

I said anti social, but i really meant to say that there is some kind of social problem they might have if they feel the need to root for an out of state team.

Please explain.

:pop:

yes.

I can't buy into this. Merely because someone goes against the herd and makes his own mind up about which team he supports, he is therefore antisocial?????????? Recognize that the label of "antisocial" is a component of a medical diagnosis. . .:pop:

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Please explain.

:pop:

I've noticed that people who root for teams out of their area with no real reason are people who love to see other people fail. There is some kind of 'death rooting' for them, they enjoy people in pain and what other way to see pain is to root for another team. Seems like the people who root for out of area teams are negative people in general. That's just my observation. Of course, not everyone who roots for out of area teams falls into that category, but from my experience, people who root against the home town team for no good reason fall into this category.

Who makes the determination of "no good reason?"

J

joeybagadonuts

FK,

You hypothesis is weak at best, laughable to most. There is no link there. Your 'logic' is severely flawed. You're using imperical evidence gathered in only your own life to make a blanket generalization? Fallacious reasoning at it's finest.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Who makes the determination of "no good reason?"

No good reason means that if you don't live in the area or have never lived in the area or have never visted the area. I know there are lots of cowboy fans around the country, but lots of these people have never even been to Texas, never plan on going.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

FK,

You hypothesis is weak at best, laughable to most. There is no link there. Your 'logic' is severely flawed. You're using imperical evidence gathered in only your own life to make a blanket generalization? Fallacious reasoning at it's finest.

I can only go on my own experience.

Degenerate2

EOG Enthusiast

Redskins fan even though I live in SoCal. I was born in the DC area and lived there till I was 10 but have remained loyal. They task me though.