Notre Dame: Notre Dame has just hired Brian Kelly.

mofome

Banned
Re: Notre Dame: Notre Dame has just hired Brian Kelly.

wonder if he can recruit top class after top class like Weis did.

We know he is a better college head coach already.

wonder if he can recruit top class after top class like Weis did.

We know he is a better college head coach already.

He has enough talent to get it done now. winning will make it just that much easier down the road. :pop:

tripp

EOG Master

Good for him. Not sure why Cinci fans are going nuts on this guy, you don't pass up Notre Dame to be HC of Cinci, you just don't. Cinci, although a BCS school, is just a stepping stone program for the big boys like ND. Same situation Rich Rod had with WVU/Michigan. Yes WVU had been a better team than Mich for a little bit, but Mich is where any coach would rather be.

Not sure I would have taken him over Edsall, but happy for Kelly that he got his dream job

Something tells me we'll be talking about who ND should hire in another five years or so

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

i don't know the ins and outs of this deal but couldn't this have been announced after his bowl game? You have a team that is undefeated and u throw this at the kids? does he even coach the bowl game? Would be strange seeing him miss the bowl game after being undefeated. Kinda classless if u asked me.

tripp

EOG Master

i don't know the ins and outs of this deal but couldn't this have been announced after his bowl game? You have a team that is undefeated and u throw this at the kids? does he even coach the bowl game? Would be strange seeing him miss the bowl game after being undefeated. Kinda classless if u asked me.
It is typically done like this where the school wants the coach to sign before bowl games for recruiting purposes I think. Kelly wouldn't coach Cinci in the bowl game, just as Rich Rod didn't coach WVU in their bowl game a couple years ago.

High Times

EOG Master

Notre Dame is scum!

Kelly is also scum.

They deserve each other.

Why do these kids even play college football for these a$$holes?

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

leaves a poor taste in my mouth with Kelly telling the kids he was staying then bolting.....just don't say anything at all....why do these coaches continually do this?

not blaming him at all for taking the job, that was a no-brainer but why tell the kids you are not leaving then do just that?

High Times

EOG Master

I hope all the young football players out there realize what scum Notre Dame is for not waiting for the bowl games to be over. I mean where else was Kelly going and why couldn't they wait?

If the coach and school both show no class why would anyone want to go there?

2938u4ji23

tripp

EOG Master

I hope all the young football players out there realize what scum Notre Dame is for not waiting for the bowl games to be over. I mean where else was Kelly going and why couldn't they wait?

If the coach and school both show no class why would anyone want to go there?

2938u4ji23
it's for recruiting.

and obviously kelly shouldn't say to people yes i think i will go to ND before he actually has a contract signed because who knows what could happen and maybe he doesn't get the ND job so then he'd not have the ND job and be fucked at Cinci.

i dont know why people are so surprised every time this happens. everyone was so shocked when Saban left, then so shocked Rich Rod left, now so shocked Kelly left. They say what they have to say before the contract is signed. they do what they have to, it was something they can't pass up.

im sure his players understand this is his dream. cinci fans need to be thankful for the success this guy brought. nobody would even give a shit about cinci if not for him and im not even a big Kelly guy

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

it's for recruiting.

and obviously kelly shouldn't say to people yes i think i will go to ND before he actually has a contract signed because who knows what could happen and maybe he doesn't get the ND job so then he'd not have the ND job and be fucked at Cinci.

i dont know why people are so surprised every time this happens. everyone was so shocked when Saban left, then so shocked Rich Rod left, now so shocked Kelly left. They say what they have to say before the contract is signed. they do what they have to, it was something they can't pass up.

im sure his players understand this is his dream. cinci fans need to be thankful for the success this guy brought. nobody would even give a shit about cinci if not for him and im not even a big Kelly guy

why cant they just say nothing?

High Times

EOG Master

it's for recruiting.

Who's shocked?

It's normal now to be scum.

tripp

EOG Master

why cant they just say nothing?
i do agree that's how it should be handled, just don't speak on the subject at all other than maybe keep your kids informed so they're not just left there wondering for the bowl game who's gonna be their coach.

media almost forces his hands though with constant asking about ND so they feel right thing is just to assure everyone for the time being they are staying put and then when things are finalized and its a for sure thing talk to the kids and let them know whats going on and that it was just an opportunity that couldnt be passed up and they should understand.

i would hope the kids have nothing but good things to say about Kelly even if the media and some fans make a big deal of this calling guys like Kelly scum just because he chose to accept his dream job and provide for his family

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Something tells me we'll be talking about who ND should hire in another five years or so

If that's the case, then hopefully Meyer will tell his wife to get over herself. All his kids will be off at college and he can finally go for his dream job.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

leaves a poor taste in my mouth with Kelly telling the kids he was staying then bolting.....just don't say anything at all....why do these coaches continually do this?

not blaming him at all for taking the job, that was a no-brainer but why tell the kids you are not leaving then do just that?

It's the fault of the message boards and the media that forces these coaches to lie to their fans and players. I think one of the reasons ND floated the Edsall and Stoops rumors were to lift some of the heat off of Kelly. In today's world, if a coach just says "no comment" or "I'm not going to talk about any coaching jobs" everyone takes it to mean he's extremely interested in the job. Only way for them to get everyone to shut up is if they say "I'm not going anywhere". It's sad.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

i do agree that's how it should be handled, just don't speak on the subject at all other than maybe keep your kids informed so they're not just left there wondering for the bowl game who's gonna be their coach.

media almost forces his hands though with constant asking about ND so they feel right thing is just to assure everyone for the time being they are staying put and then when things are finalized and its a for sure thing talk to the kids and let them know whats going on and that it was just an opportunity that couldnt be passed up and they should understand.

i would hope the kids have nothing but good things to say about Kelly even if the media and some fans make a big deal of this calling guys like Kelly scum just because he chose to accept his dream job and provide for his family

Didn't see this post, but tripp's got it right. How inspired would his kids play if he told them before the Pitt game "I'm not talking about the Notre Dame job". He's forced to confront the issue because of the media, so he has to assure his players that he'll be coming back.

mofome

Banned

He has enough talent to get it done now. winning will make it just that much easier down the road. :pop:

yes he does. he has more talent on this team than he had at cinci and an easier schedule.

mofome

Banned

recruiting. business is business. he needs to finish his class off. early feb these kids sign, EE come in much sooner, and he has work to do.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Why not say 'we have a coach who's currently busy with another job and we dont want to take away the thunder of that team, so we're going to announce our hire AFTER the bowl season'

mofome

Banned

every class is important. nd has been bringing in great ones, they need to get to work. once you have a new job, move on.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

My bad. I just read that Kelly will NOT be on the sidelines for Cincy in their bowl game. Offensive Coordinator will be HC for the game.

tripp

EOG Master

My bad. I just read that Kelly will NOT be on the sidelines for Cincy in their bowl game. Offensive Coordinator will be HC for the game.
Of coarse. You don't sign with a new team and then still coach for your old team. He needs to get recruiting for ND, not worrying about what Cinci is doing. He doesnt' work for Cinci anymore

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

For some reason it never dawned on me. I was thinking about another situation where a lame duck coach stayed to coach even after he was fired. I dont know why i got that in my head.