TB beating NO was equivalent to USA beating USSR in 1980 olympics?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
I think so. Im watching this game on tape now. Just looking at the QB and the HC i have no idea how they pulled this off. Miracle is the proper word.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: TB beating NO was equivalent to USA beating USSR in 1980 olympics?

No fucking way....anyone can win on any given Sunday....

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

SAINTS HAVE NOT BEEN "ON ALL CYLINDERS" FOR @ A MONTH
NOW... SOME ONE PUT KRYPTONITE IN THEIR FOOD....

K13

EOG Dedicated

Saints are like slovakia

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Are you kidding? Not even remotely close. Flamingo you are a knowledgeable guy in general. I've never seen a silly post from you and this is perhaps the most ridiculous one I've seen from anyone since I've been here.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

The Bucs beating the Saints is surprising. That's the extent of it.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I didn't mean to be too abrasive...just almost fell out of my chair when I read that.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

And that game didn't even mean all that much to New Orleans, notwithstanding the fact that the gap in talent between them and the Bucs doesn't even approach the gap between the USA and USSR that year.

I hereby nominate this post for the DUMBEST POST of 2009

not even .000000000000000000000000000001% as close

This even tops the why Cliff Lee didn't pitch on 1 day rest thread

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

No way. This is one professional team beating another. The miracle on ice was college kids beating professionals.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

they are saying this win over saints saved the tampa coach job although thats hard for me to believe.

they are saying this win over saints saved the tampa coach job although thats hard for me to believe.

Why is it hard to believe? I hope the standard for 1st year coaches isnt making the playoffs. I have seen them slowly get bettter and better, I think his job should be safe.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Why is it hard to believe? I hope the standard for 1st year coaches isnt making the playoffs. I have seen them slowly get bettter and better, I think his job should be safe.

i agree with you.there for a heartbeat there was talk of cowher going there and that was the main reason i was finding it hard to believe they were keeping the first year coach.

maverick

EOG Veteran

And that game didn't even mean all that much to New Orleans, notwithstanding the fact that the gap in talent between them and the Bucs doesn't even approach the gap between the USA and USSR that year.

Could have cost Saints HFA for the playoffs...............

Mammon

EOG Master

Not even top 100 upsets in the NFL

Jeff Haney

EOG Addicted

Tampa Bay was a bigger upset vis-a-vis the betting lines.

According to several industry veterans who were in Las Vegas in 1980, the line on the Miracle on Ice game had the U.S. as an underdog in the range of 3-1 to 4-1. By all accounts, the game was very lightly bet.

The money line on the Bucs closed at about plus 640.

In this excerpt from an "As I See It" column from 2002 titled "Legends Growing," Jimmy Vaccaro mentions the U.S. was about a 3-1 'dog at the Barbary Coast:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CErin%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> "And now with the Winter Olympics being played in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Salt</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Lake</st1:placetype></st1:place> it brings to mind a similar tale, the "do you believe in miracles" game in 1980. I was at the <st1:place w:st="on">Barbary Coast</st1:place> at the time and trust me we were just getting started putting these types of things on the boards. I believe that the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> was around a 3-1 dog in that now famous game, but it did not attract a lot of attention from our perspective. I remember watching the game in the Book and although there was more than normal activity on the game, it was not nearly as much as the amounts that were supposedly wagered and written about during the ensuing weeks. After the writers found out that you could even bet on this game, once again it took on a life of its own. ... I read some of the stories ? how we had been beaten up real bad and that people were lined up for over an hour cashing in on their winnings. I was there after the game and Phil the Postman was the only guy to cash a ticket on the night on that hockey game. Phil was over 80 at the time and I guess he wanted to make sure he got his cash before he checked out. So as you can see, we as a culture have a great passion for making things grow, at times just to satisfy our own need and even if the info is good it still does not guarantee a winner. Just thought I would share that."

mofome

Banned

i think most people responded to this emotionally, not by the book.

J

joeybagadonuts

I hereby nominate this post for the DUMBEST POST of 2009

not even .000000000000000000000000000001% as close

Check out some of FK's other posts and I bet you change your tune.

He has made no less than 5k posts worse than this.

According to several industry veterans who were in Las Vegas in 1980, the line on the Miracle on Ice game had the U.S. as an underdog in the range of 3-1 to 4-1. By all accounts, the game was very lightly bet.

In this excerpt from an "As I See It" column from 2002 titled "Legends Growing," Jimmy Vaccaro mentions the U.S. was about a 3-1 'dog at the Barbary Coast:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CErin%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> "And now with the Winter Olympics being played in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Salt</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Lake</st1:placetype></st1:place> it brings to mind a similar tale, the "do you believe in miracles" game in 1980. I was at the <st1:place w:st="on">Barbary Coast</st1:place> at the time and trust me we were just getting started putting these types of things on the boards. I believe that the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> was around a 3-1 dog in that now famous game, but it did not attract a lot of attention from our perspective. I remember watching the game in the Book and although there was more than normal activity on the game, it was not nearly as much as the amounts that were supposedly wagered and written about during the ensuing weeks. After the writers found out that you could even bet on this game, once again it took on a life of its own. ... I read some of the stories ? how we had been beaten up real bad and that people were lined up for over an hour cashing in on their winnings. I was there after the game and Phil the Postman was the only guy to cash a ticket on the night on that hockey game. Phil was over 80 at the time and I guess he wanted to make sure he got his cash before he checked out. So as you can see, we as a culture have a great passion for making things grow, at times just to satisfy our own need and even if the info is good it still does not guarantee a winner. Just thought I would share that."

Sounds like true odds to me. :+textinb3 Im sure the Barbary Coast was lined with guys that had money down on the USSR in 1980.

mofome

Banned

so, in no way is this, in any shape or form, a game that should be put in the same class as the miracle on ice.

unless, of course, you are just talking about betting odds. In which case the miracle on ice upset was of little consequence; as far as the history of upsets go.

Mammon

EOG Master

The line was low for US in Vegas cause Americans bet there.:+waving-5

The line was low for US in Vegas cause Americans bet there.:+waving-5

Ding Ding. At that time you would have only bet on the bad guys if you could do it in the privacy of your own home.

Obviously the lines we get now days have a better # but the question I have is do books that dont have US bettors have a different line than the others now?

Nep Dynasty

EOG Enthusiast

Lol holy shit what the hell is wrong with this guy?

mofome

Banned

at least, somehow, this has turned into a decent discussion/read.

Well by the betting lines Stanford over USC was a bigger upset than Appalachian State over Michigan.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

<LINK rel=File-List href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CErin%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:smarttagtype name="country-region" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceType" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="PlaceName" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype name="place" namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><OBJECT id=ieooui classid=clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D></OBJECT><STYLE> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </STYLE><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>"And now with the Winter Olympics being played in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Salt</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Lake</st1:placetype></st1:place> it brings to mind a similar tale, the "do you believe in miracles" game in 1980. I was at the <st1:place w:st="on">Barbary Coast</st1:place> at the time and trust me we were just getting started putting these types of things on the boards. I believe that the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> was around a 3-1 dog in that now famous game, but it did not attract a lot of attention from our perspective. I remember watching the game in the Book and although there was more than normal activity on the game, it was not nearly as much as the amounts that were supposedly wagered and written about during the ensuing weeks. After the writers found out that you could even bet on this game, once again it took on a life of its own. ... I read some of the stories ? how we had been beaten up real bad and that people were lined up for over an hour cashing in on their winnings. I was there after the game and Phil the Postman was the only guy to cash a ticket on the night on that hockey game. Phil was over 80 at the time and I guess he wanted to make sure he got his cash before he checked out. So as you can see, we as a culture have a great passion for making things grow, at times just to satisfy our own need and even if the info is good it still does not guarantee a winner. Just thought I would share that."

A 3-1 dog, eh. Hmmm, interesting. TB was a 6-1 dog. Seems like Tampa was the bigger upset, unless somehow 3 is larger than 6?