Who is the best player to play any sport?!?!

mofome

Banned
Re: Who is the best player to play any sport?!?!

Manning. Easily.

Tiger plays a game vs pls. Tiger dominates a game that people who aren't great at sports play. Tiger doesn't belong in a conversation with Manning when talking about who is the most dominant athlete of all time.

imho

So if we're asking who was the most dominant (i.e. heads and shoulders above anyone he played with or against) player in each sport and then narrowed to who among them was the best of the best, I'd have to say:

Wayne Gretzky

With a tip of the hat 12io4j2w90to Wilt Chamberlain, Babe Ruth and Secrecariat...

railbird

EOG Master

Scott Freidman has won 17 of the last 20 us opens of paddle tennis. He beat John Mcenroe easily when attempted to play, beat Vince Van patten when he was top 20 in the world.

railbird

EOG Master

Manning. Easily.

Tiger plays a game vs pls. Tiger dominates a game that people who aren't great at sports play. Tiger doesn't belong in a conversation with Manning when talking about who is the most dominant athlete of all time.

imho

You forgot the part that Tiger doesnt dominate, he has 0 La opens, most his majors are on courses that caters to long hitters or are courses he grew up on as a child. Manning is far from dominate.

railbird

EOG Master

Usain Bolt should be in the conversation. The topic is for recreational fans and bettors.

938four

EOG Dedicated

You forgot the part that Tiger doesnt dominate, he has 0 La opens, most his majors are on courses that caters to long hitters or are courses he grew up on as a child. Manning is far from dominate.

thats why he is the greatest

91023i2ndw;l

tripp

EOG Master

Michael Jordan
Wayne Gretzky
Tiger Woods

I think those are the top three, and tough for me to see anyone else close to these three.

Gretzky. Can't believe Peyton Manning with one title is getting into this conversation. He won that title with maybe the least talented of his teams too. If this year's team wins it will be even less talented. Not so much a positive statement for Manning, more a statement about the weakness of the opposition when he has won.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Michael Jordan, or Tiger Woods. No athlete dominated their sports like Tiger and Michael.

Gretzky has to be in the discussion though.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

If Michael didn't retire he would have won 8 titles in a row in the modern era. That's unheard of.

mofome

Banned

Most difficult position in sports = QB
Best of all time = Manning

Tiger/jimmy johnson are no athletes.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Usain Bolt. He's so much better than the 2nd best guy that the gap is as wide as the Pacific ocean.

mofome

Banned

I can bench 300. Peyton competes against the best athletes in the world, Tigers walks amongst pantloads and hits a perfectly still ball.

Ping pong is more taxing.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If Michael didn't retire he would have won 8 titles in a row in the modern era. That's unheard of.

All these sports leagues are 'tained' in some way towards superstar players....especially the NBA.

With Usain Bolt, there's no tainting...there's no ref making sure he beats the pacers to win his last title.

If the NBA didn't 'fix'it one year, he would have lost to the Indiana Pacers. Get the tapes and watch those series, Indiana was superior yet got whistled right out of the title and guess what? No one remembers.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

same with manning. but what manning does it much more difficult.

That's what makes Bolt better than Manning because Running is easy, so there should be more guys who can do it and yet there's no one close to Bolt. the pool of potential 'runners' is in the tens of millions....the pool of potential NFL quarterbacks is in the hundreds. Peyton only has to be better than any human who decided to give football a try. Bolt has to be better than any human who's actually ran at one point in his life. Much more people.

competes w/ the best athletes in the game? sure the best athletes are on the field but hes far from the "best athlete"...all he does is sit untouched in a pocket and can throw the ball where ever he wants to against defensive schemes...

peyton has been sacked 215 times in his career (12 years)...thats roughly 18 times sacked a year...a tad bit over once a game...and half of his sacks are when he falls down w/o getting hit so lets just say he gets sacked .5 times a game...so basically every game his objective is to read a defense and pick it apart...hard dont get me wrong...but athletic?

QB's are arguably the least athletic players on the field

dont get me wrong QB's deal with 2395729357 times more duress than any golfer ever has...buuut praising peyton for his "athleticism" or the fact that hes on the field w/ the best athletes in the world doesnt mean hes the least bit athletic...im sure his workout regiment is minimally physically stressful and more focused on durability, flexibility, and enhancing throwing strength...similar to what elite golfers may focus on...dont get me wrong QB's and golfers are like comparing apples to veggies but most QB's lack the athleticism you talk about on the field

dont get me wrong...the QB position is extremely hard...probably one of the hardest things to do in all of sports...most of peyton's dominance IMO is his study of the game, preparation, and ability to read and react to defenses on the fly...and the fact that he can typically put the ball exactly where he wants it to go

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

So if we're asking who was the most dominant (i.e. heads and shoulders above anyone he played with or against) player in each sport and then narrowed to who among them was the best of the best, I'd have to say:

Wayne Gretzky

With a tip of the hat 12io4j2w90to Wilt Chamberlain, Babe Ruth and Secrecariat...

200% agree...

mofome

Banned

I dont like it when Quebbler is irrational. :nono

I understand your points here though. But if you're going to define athletes in that manner, then Tiger Woods isn't in the top 500,000 athletes.

As for the sack stats, if you are trying to give credit to the oline, you're mistaken. Manning doesn't get sacked because he gets rid of the ball, not because he sits back and surveys the field all day like eli or brady can. He doesn't have that same luxury, thats another thing that makes him so much better than any other qb to ever play. Peyton doesn't get hit because of Peyton.

Manning is the brightest qb, the most talented, the hardest working, and he makes everyone around him better than anyone else ever has. The best athlete in the world makes other people seem like they're better athletes themselves.

By your refined definition, Tiger woods wouldn't be one of the best 50 athletes on eog.

mofome

Banned

Manning had 0 fumbles this year, on painters 2nd drop back of the season, with the starting oline in, he was hit and he fumbled.

if you gave peyton manning (33 years old) and tiger woods (34 years old) an athletic competition you think peyton wins? sheer athleticism nothing focusing to either one of their respective sports...

i say tiger...not easily :)+textinb3) but he takes the cake

and i shouldnt have made it seem like i was giving the credit to only the oline...his whole reading and reacting to the defense would be getting the ball out quickly...its a product of his post snap awareness and blocking that is why he hardly gets touched...and of course we dont have the databases to list how many times hes been knocked down and hurried which would increase his physical contact

manning is by far the best QB i can ever see playing the game and yes i agree w/ what you said he is...could be the best NFL player EVER if he keeps winning in the post season now

but tiger has the same intimidation, talent, clutch factor (even more than peyton id say), and awareness of the game...hes been titled as having the perfect swing...his talent is just as impressive as peyton's to his sport IMO

Manning had 0 fumbles this year, on painters 2nd drop back of the season, with the starting oline in, he was hit and he fumbled.

but who knows if painter broke his pocket, executed the play poorly, call his pre snap incorrectly, didnt step up in the pocket, etc etc...the little things peyton doesnt mess up on the average QB makes look like rocket science