Larry Joe Bird or Kobe Bean Bryant. Who's Better?

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated
Re: Larry Joe Bird or Kobe Bean Bryant. Who's Better?

Not even close. Bird was a great player, but wouldn't have been nearly as good if he didn't play with other great players. Put Bird on last year's Lakers and no way they win.

Why are they even being compared? Its like asking who was better Shaq or John Stockton.

railbird

EOG Master

LArry Bird was way better. Larry much much better scorer, better passer, better rebounder and better team player which made players around him better.

railbird

EOG Master

Larry way better shooter too. people that said Kobe are all children or not born when Bird playing.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Kobe in a landslide. Can lock down guys and can score on anyone. Not close.

Apple

Banned

Love Larry the Legend, but gotta say Kobe..

Bird was great though..

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

LArry Bird was way better. Larry much much better scorer, better passer, better rebounder and better team player which made players around him better.

If you are double and triple teamed, does that count for 'making players better'? You don't make them better by passing the ball to them, but you make them better because they're wide open.

As far as the better scorer goes, well, Kobe has over 3,000 MORE points than Larry Joe.....so, i don't know where you get the better scorer stuff. How about a better defender? Did Larry Joe play as much D as the mamba?

Integrity

EOG Master

the question should be, if larry had the athleticism of kobe/michael, would he have been better than them?

cuz oh boy could shoot lights out and do a lot of things. imagine if he had the athleticism of kobe... wow

bird was a better shooter, better passer, better rebounder than kobe.

Chi_Dorothy

EOG Dedicated

I think people that watched Larry play closely throughout his career, understand that many of the things Larry did to help his team win, went way beyond the stat sheet.

that being Said, Larry still has more impressive stats..... he just wasn't flashy is all. you don't get extra points for a 360 dunk or acrobatic layup.

I'd take Larry any day as a more complete basketball player. the guy averaged a double double over his career and added 6.3 assists per game.

Kobe barely averages half of Bird's rebound per game total (5.3) with only 4.6 assists per game.

I'll take Birds well rounded contributions over the extra 1 point per game that Kobe gives you.

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

One may be the best SG of all time and the other is the best SF of all time.

<table id="post2688795" class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94) -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;"> 02-02-10, 01:03 AM </td> <td class="thead" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" align="right"> #36 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175"> raiders72001 <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2688795", true); </script>
EOG Dedicated

</td> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_2688795" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(43, 41, 94);"> Re: Kobe a top 5 player all time?
<hr style="color: rgb(43, 41, 94);" size="1"> Bird has per game more assists, rebounds, steals, blocked shots, less fouls and a FG % higher than 50 % in 5 years.

Kobe's FG 45%.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Bird. As far as I know basketball is still a team sport, even in the NBA.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Bird. reminds me in the eighties we all used to fight over if magic or bird was better.had to see bird to believe how awesome he really was.

Must see for FK - watch the passing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULvo7__wwBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULvo7__wwBU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> ....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvzIPnfSaDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mvzIPnfSaDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

IF YOU GO BY STATS, HAS TO WILT!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO HE CHANGED THE GAME--WIDEND FOUL LANES, OFFENSIVE GOALTENDING CREATED , LEAVING FOUL LINE TOO EARLY( HE WOULD TAKE RUNNING START AND DUNK HIS FREE THROWS IN COLLEGE)... 100 POINTS IN GAME, 50 POINTS AVERAGE A GAME, AVE 25 REBOUNDS A GAME,ASSISTS--WILT THERE ALSO-- JUST MORE AND MORE........WILT WAS THE MAN-AND THE LOVER

Bird or Kobe, in the team player context, not even close
LARRY BIRD. The man did it all.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Bird. reminds me in the eighties we all used to fight over if magic or bird was better.had to see bird to believe how awesome he really was.

Really hard to imagine how special Bird was, not taking anything away from Kobe. Kobe is a better defensive player, but bird was a better passer.

kabab29

EOG Member

kobe more athletic and complete player but little too selfish

jimbojpc

EOG Member

Raider Great videos: :thumbsup

Really its a individual preference. Interesting on everyone thoughts on Best quarterback ever? Going to check u-tube for some Johnny Unitas Video? Next someone will say Ja Marcus Russell's is the Best QB :LMAO

BSims

EOG Addicted

In the late 70's a friend who was still working at Indiana State University (I had left a few years earlier) called me to say they had a new basketball player and he was the best player he had ever seen. Naturally I was skeptical. So I joined him at an early season game.

Before the first half was over I had to agree, Larry Bird was indeed the best player I had ever seen. I got to watch him over the next 3 years.

There have been many great basketball players. But in my mind, none were better than Bird. He had a presence that made him seem like a genius on the court.

As to statistics, just look at Indiana State's record before and after Bird. He was one unbelievable player.

JCROM777

EOG Addicted

Larry Bird was better because he was a team player.