EOG's investment advice thread.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Is anyone interested in contributing to an investment advice thread? Ya know, kind of talk about stocks, bonds, gold, silver, money markets, etc. Tell us where we should be investing our money in this shaky economy. If you have any investment advice, i'm sure EOGers would appreciate the nuggets.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: EOG's investment advice thread.

I read a good book last night (2 hours worth) and the guy was recommending gold.

He made a good case.

Gold is too high now. Wait and see if it gets back down to 1k per oz.

I'm long on pharmecuticals and health care.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I dont think gold is going to go down anytime soon.

Butttttttttttttttt, don't quote me.

Stock market is a rigged game for insiders. Don't play the other man's game. If you have patience, guts and plenty of time, look into currency trading; I have dabbled in it, but like sports handicapping, it takes study and knowledge.

Hahahahaha that's funny. The stock market is a rigged game but the currency market which is subject to huge actions by any of the world's central banks at any moment is a fair game? Oh yeah did you mention your trading basically is funneled through faux exchanges which are really just bankers (bookmakers to this crowd) dealing you a spread?

NOW THAT SHIT IS FUNNY!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

cmon guys we need some more advice, EOGers have been 'banking it' for years now on some of our resident experts picks and most of us here have boatloads of cash to invest.

Cmon sons!

Iona

EOG Dedicated

I have a lot of Citibank (C) and I think that they will see their way thru this as a company. However, the thing that bothers me relative to the share price is that the US Government has 7.5 billion shares, that's right 7.5 billion, that they are going to be selling at some point. Those 7.5 billion shares are a big headwind for the stock price unless the Govt can place them privately.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I am long C in my Roth and I bought my daughter some a while back for her UGMA. FWIW, I also bought my daughter some AIG, Ford Motor Company, MSFT and CIT. The CIT got whiped out in their recent bankruptcy.

As far as personal investment strategy, I buy equities and write covered call options against the position (about 10% out of the money usually 2 months out depending on the premium). It juices your returns and provides an exit stratgey, which in my case,eliminates greed.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I have a lot of Citibank (C) and I think that they will see their way thru this as a company. However, the thing that bothers me relative to the share price is that the US Government has 7.5 billion shares, that's right 7.5 billion, that they are going to be selling at some point. Those 7.5 billion shares are a big headwind for the stock price unless the Govt can place them privately.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I am long C in my Roth and I bought my daughter some a while back for her UGMA. FWIW, I also bought my daughter some AIG, Ford Motor Company, MSFT and CIT. The CIT got whiped out in their recent bankruptcy.

As far as personal investment strategy, I buy equities and write covered call options against the position (about 10% out of the money usually 2 months out depending on the premium). It juices your returns and provides an exit stratgey, which in my case,eliminates greed.

Greed is good

cheapseats

EOG Master

Stock market is a rigged game for insiders. Don't play the other man's game. If you have patience, guts and plenty of time, look into currency trading; I have dabbled in it, but like sports handicapping, it takes study and knowledge.

I fucxk around with the mini contracts, you cant have mor than 5 grand in the account, but you can withstand large movements for very little margin. I have been able to make about 20-30 bucks a month, some over 80, mostly on the japan market time which is 5 to 6 o'clock west coast time. Its not much, but its cash. Advice, currency trading over the long haul is nothing but interest rate advantage, all the other shit is noise, the noise can be traded short term, but the currency crowd is all about interest rates, and the 10 year bond is the best indicator. Watch the spreads between it and the other majors.

cmon guys we need some more advice, EOGers have been 'banking it' for years now on some of our resident experts picks and most of us here have boatloads of cash to invest.

Cmon sons!

What do you want man? Most of the people here would be better served just buying a couple of ETFs and rebalancing once a year. Let this crowd get into the gambling game of stock picking and watch them blow money.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

What do you want man? Most of the people here would be better served just buying a couple of ETFs and rebalancing once a year. Let this crowd get into the gambling game of stock picking and watch them blow money.

Maybe there's a better way to invest money safely and actually get a few percent return? Money Markets are paying off at miniscule rates, so they're not really all that good, is there another way you can safely invest, get a few percent on your cash and kind of not worry about it? (as opposed to gambling on stocks?)12io4j2w90

djefferis

EOG Veteran

A couple I like..

Already mentioned ford, buy the preffered though fp..7%+ dividend and things looking up

gld - gold looking to move beyond 1100..could easily be 1160 by may.

A few new ones

bp trudoe bay (sp?) tick bpt 15% yield, oil will remain above 70 all year.

Cedar fair (fun) the buyout is off, the divi is gone for now..buy and hold, will see 25+ within 2 years.

Denderon (dndn) provenge will be ok'd may 1 or so...will jump to 45-50, buy now, sell then and buy back in July from profits when it
settles down. Risky, but if provenge works it's the next amgn

djefferis

EOG Veteran

A few other high risk/reward names I liked

green mountain coffee co (gmcr) pricey at near 100 a share, owns the patent to the keurig coffee machine, the latest must have for the young, hip and yuppie crowd. 30-100 52wk range..could push over 160 by year end

also like chipotle Mexican (cmg) again, pricey but in a recession people opt for simple luxuries, like $6 premium burritos. Mexican is highly fragmented, and this is the best chain brand for mid class dining.

Yum brands (yum) and starbuck (sbux) solid buy and hold names. Coke (ko) isn't a bad bet either with the reintergration of CCE. Lower risk and all pay dividends better than a 1 year cd.

Considering the dollar is worth shit and probably only going to get weaker that greatly devalues any 'long term' predictions.

i bought a BUNCH of gold way back when it was 296 or 298 an ounce, tied up a bit of money at that time in it. Now it is worth 4 times as much? Not really. because the dollar was worth a hell of a lot more then than it is now, not to mention had I used the money I had tied up in the gold in between then and now I would have actually been further ahead than what the gold is worth now.

So even though gold has done what it has it still doesnt outwiegh the short term gains one could have gotten.

Best 'investment' people can hope for now is simply that the dollar will be worth as much as it is now (and hopefully what it was worth 10 years ago) in the future. if it isnt then investing really doesnt mean shit. Spend it now and worry about the future when it happens these days.

SNRV(2.05)
This is a natural gas play. They own some land that should have a lot of fuel under it.
Will possibly go to $6 by year end.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Considering the dollar is worth shit and probably only going to get weaker that greatly devalues any 'long term' predictions.

i bought a BUNCH of gold way back when it was 296 or 298 an ounce, tied up a bit of money at that time in it. Now it is worth 4 times as much? Not really. because the dollar was worth a hell of a lot more then than it is now, not to mention had I used the money I had tied up in the gold in between then and now I would have actually been further ahead than what the gold is worth now.

So even though gold has done what it has it still doesnt outwiegh the short term gains one could have gotten.

Best 'investment' people can hope for now is simply that the dollar will be worth as much as it is now (and hopefully what it was worth 10 years ago) in the future. if it isnt then investing really doesnt mean shit. Spend it now and worry about the future when it happens these days.

I like this advice.

Heim

EOG Master

A few other high risk/reward names I liked

green mountain coffee co (gmcr) pricey at near 100 a share, owns the patent to the keurig coffee machine, the latest must have for the young, hip and yuppie crowd. 30-100 52wk range..could push over 160 by year end

also like chipotle Mexican (cmg) again, pricey but in a recession people opt for simple luxuries, like $6 premium burritos. Mexican is highly fragmented, and this is the best chain brand for mid class dining.

Yum brands (yum) and starbuck (sbux) solid buy and hold names. Coke (ko) isn't a bad bet either with the reintergration of CCE. Lower risk and all pay dividends better than a 1 year cd.

A year ago this post would be gold however most of the above have peaked.
I bought Yum a year ago for 28 (now 38) when the news was just coming out about their aggressive expansion into the Chinese market. Doubt there's any value left especially with the capital needed to fund KFC in that market coinciding with the recent rise in the Yen...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Gold is coming on!

Hey, i have a question. They say gold is now at like 1,236 an ounce, does that mean that if you purchase a gold stock from any gold company, they're all trading at the same price? What is the stock symbol for 'gold'? I know this is a silly question, but i really don't know the answer.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

Gold ETF is ticker GLD. There are other ways to buy bullion, but this is the easiest if your talking under a few million dollars.

Also many gold mining stocks and mutual funds, each will move up and down based on gold prices, but gld invest in bullion only.

gondo

EOG Member

buy sirius xm. ticker siri, it's probably moving onto the russell index in late june. at 1.06 now, and going to around 1.40 by 3rd week of june.

Pete Rose

EOG Enthusiast

Dave Ramsey. Live like no one else so that in the future you can live like no one else.

Gold is coming on!

Hey, i have a question. They say gold is now at like 1,236 an ounce, does that mean that if you purchase a gold stock from any gold company, they're all trading at the same price? What is the stock symbol for 'gold'? I know this is a silly question, but i really don't know the answer.

The quoted price is the nominal value of what is called the front contract for gold on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. It has nothing to do with actual sales of gold, but most gold dealers treat it as the price authority and do deals with this price as the proxy for correct pricing. The problem traders may come to realize in the not too distant future is this methodology is ripe for overvaluation. Much like oil became extremely overvalued because its pricing is based on commodity contracts, gold if it continues to be thought of as a one-way trade will see contracts trading at higher levels than the market may bear. The world's economy trades in physical oil and gold products, but the world's economy does not trade contracts on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. It is a very important distinction and few people seem to understand this.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The quoted price is the nominal value of what is called the front contract for gold on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. It has nothing to do with actual sales of gold, but most gold dealers treat it as the price authority and do deals with this price as the proxy for correct pricing. The problem traders may come to realize in the not too distant future is this methodology is ripe for overvaluation. Much like oil became extremely overvalued because its pricing is based on commodity contracts, gold if it continues to be thought of as a one-way trade will see contracts trading at higher levels than the market may bear. The world's economy trades in physical oil and gold products, but the world's economy does not trade contracts on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. It is a very important distinction and few people seem to understand this.

Its tricky, thanks for the comments! :cheers

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

buy sirius xm. ticker siri, it's probably moving onto the russell index in late june. at 1.06 now, and going to around 1.40 by 3rd week of june.

Greetings:

The Munchkin Man is still kicking himself for not investing in this stock on the date of February 11, 2009, when it hit a low of only $0.05 per share.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man