Ever had a spider bite?

TheRat

EOG Addicted
Re: Ever had a spider bite?

Sounds like a brown recluse bite. Or at least very similar to what I once had. Way back when I used to work at a grocery store. Was unloading a shipment of produce and was bit by a brown recluse on the arm. VERY similar reaction....swelled up, was black and blue beyond believe and was numb for several days. Went to the doctor, he gave me some sort of antibiotic and said it would go away in time.

mofome

Banned

Sounds like a brown recluse bite. Or at least very similar to what I once had. Way back when I used to work at a grocery store. Was unloading a shipment of produce and was bit by a brown recluse on the arm. VERY similar reaction....swelled up, was black and blue beyond believe and was numb for several days. Went to the doctor, he gave me some sort of antibiotic and said it would go away in time.

i'll look them guys up and see if we have them in md.

its a tingle and a numbness. we've been cleaning shit out of the house so we're getting crap out of the carport and back rooms. all cob webs and junk. this is retarded though.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Yup, chipping golf balls barefoot a few years ago in my friend's backyard. All the sudden I could barely walk. Had no fuckin clue what it was for 2 days, finally went to the hospital and they told me it was a spider bite.

I don't care how it would harm the ecosystem/food chain, I would love to see all spiders killed off.

mofome

Banned

im with you tim, this is silly. when my thumb started to get big i thought i was going to have to chop it off.

:shoot:

mofome

Banned

actually, its not all that big, just black and blue and a little swollen with a strange numb feeling and tingle.

i would expect some big mark where the bite was, but its just a little white/skin colorish

mofome

Banned

haha yeah i dont think i can afford that, so i will just hope it rolls out.

J-Wil

EOG Senior Member

I got bit by one before. Never really bothered me, but my skin is still discolored where i got bit. It use to flare up sometimes, and look all f'd up. Haven't had a problem recently though

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Damn that sounds horrible. I've been bit numerous times but not by any type of deadly spider. Just itchy annoying bumps.

mofome

Banned

I got bit by one before. Never really bothered me, but my skin is still discolored where i got bit. It use to flare up sometimes, and look all f'd up. Haven't had a problem recently though

still? how long ago.

my hand changes color a bit when i hold it up. the higher my hand is, the more blue it is.

:+clueless

mofome

Banned

Damn that sounds horrible. I've been bit numerous times but not by any type of deadly spider. Just itchy annoying bumps.

it feels awesome trying to type. at least i can hit the wrong keys and use my firefox to straighten me out.

started out just as the inside of my thumb being discolored and blew up after a bit.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=1 vAlign=top>Brown Recluse Bite on the Finger

</TD><TD height=1>
This story is from a poor woman who had her finger amputated as a result of a brown recluse spider bite. This is a picture of a RELAPSE of infection. This is what happens when the venom is not eradicated at initial injury.​
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1 vAlign=top>Dr. Abrams, Thursday, 1/6/2000
My name is LeeAnn Parkes. I am writing concerning your research with brown recluse spider bites, and the necrosis associated with these bites.
About 10 years ago I was bitten on the distal end of the ring finger of my right hand by a brown recluse. I am certain that this was a brown recluse. I saw the spider and felt it when it bit me. I remember feeling mild pain and a burning sensation. I immediately sought medical treatment, but the physician was not familiar with these spiders, and sent me home with no antibiotics at all. Around 36 to 48 hours later, blistering and extreme swelling had started. I again sought medical treatment with a different physician. By this time, red streaking had started up my arm my finger was so swollen that the tissue had started to split open and necrosis had started in the area of the bite. My entire finger was involved, with blistering and pus formation extending the length of the finger. I spent several days in the hospital with IV antibiotics. The necrosis subsided, tissue was lost and I seemed to get better.
Over the next two years, this would happen again. The only warning that I have is the appearance of a dark bluish/purple node, about the size of a pin dot. This always comes up on the same side of my finger as the bite. Blistering, necrosis, tissue loss would all follow in pretty much the same pattern. I saw different physicians, each sending me to another for different tests. I have had every imaginable lab test run (all with negative results), and have been given so many different diagnosis that I can't remember them all. Fluid, tissue and blood tests failed to result in any definite diagnosis. I would tell each physician that this all started with the bite of the brown recluse, yet I was told that there was no way this necrotic state could be a result of the bite. Finally, gangrene developed in this finger, and the distal and (from the middle joint) was amputated. After the amputation, the same thing started again, on the stump Again, on the same side as the bite. About a year after the amputation, I was sent to a surgeon for a brachial sympathectomy, with the diagnosis of RSD. After this surgery, for about 6 years, I had no recurrence of the blistering on my finger. Around two years ago, it started again. Each time is now progressively worse, and it gets physically harder on me. Nausea and vomiting are common during this time. Also, I can associate what seems to be a bladder or kidney infection with these episodes, with back pain and dark urine. This lasts for one to two weeks after the finger heals. It seems to start again a few days before it flares up again. There are no words to adequately describe the pain.

</TD><TD height=1 vAlign=center>

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1 vAlign=top>About two weeks ago, this same thing started again. I am to go to a plastic surgeon on Monday, 060500 to discuss the possibility of a skin graft. The wound covers approx. ? of the stump. The blistering and necrosis is quite extensive. Each time this starts, it is as if the spider is continuing to bite me - over and over again. The last surgeon that I saw is considering amputation. I am honestly afraid that I will lose my right hand if this continues as is. Dr. Abrams, I am a registered nurse. This has already cost me so much - I have seen over 20 different physicians over the last 10 years, and my medical bills are in excess of a quarter of a million dollars and continue to rise. I have now suffered another loss, my bedside practice. I was an ICU nurse. Since I can't seem to get better, and have no warning of when this will happen, it was finally impossible for me to continue. I can't financially afford to take off work for three weeks to a month while my finger is necrotic. When this last happened (November of last year) the physician was convinced that I have herpetic whitlow - even though ALL lab tests were normal and the blistering looks nothing like whitlow. Over the years, there have been at least 18 to 20 tests run for herpes virus, each with negative results. I had to fight the entire ortho department of the hospital that I worked in to go back to work. (see photo) If after reading this, you feel as though I might benefit from your research - please contact me. I am willing to do anything at this point. Not only do I want this episode over with, I want to know what is wrong with me and how to stop it. Until I heard of you and your research, I had begun to believe that I had lost my mind. If I can't get the physician I am currently working with to contact you, I am willing to come to wherever you are for help.
I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you soon. I would like to take any info you can share to my appointment on Monday.
If you can, please help me.
Thank you,
LeeAnn Parkes

</TD><TD height=1>

AFTER TREATMENT
This woman was successfully treated with Stun Gun under a physician's supervision. Note that this is very painful and dangerous. We do not recommend you do this without the proper experienced practitioner:

For a limited time, we will include a free 5 ml bottle of pure healing oil with your first order. We feel it is quite effective. Just send us a note with your order.​
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=350 bgColor=#333333 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=350 bgColor=#ffcc00><TBODY><TR><TD>
Order the Anti-venom healing balm >>​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=1 vAlign=top colSpan=2>

Brown Recluse Bite on the Hand

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="41%">Day 3

The next sequence of pictures follow a victim that is bit on his thumb. Though not too bad looking after 3 days, this bite is far from fully developed.
</TD><TD width="59%">
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Day 4

Notice the finger is still swelling as the bite become more and more infected. Though antibiotics will subdue the infection, most bite victims will still experience a lot of pain and suffering from the wound that develops.
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Day 5

"The thumb which was bit is still swelling and getting more red. It is clear that this bite is infected and the general state of the soft tissue around the penetration point is degenerating."
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Day 6

"At this point, the infection has progressed enough to warrant some invasive treatments and procedures. This will involve making cuts and draining the wound."
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Day 9

"The wound has now been lanced and drained. Two days have gone by since the last photo. At this point it is hoped the infection won't get any worse. "
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Day 10

"At this point the wound looks as bad as it will look. The infection has slowed and though this will take months to heal, the real threat has passed. Now only time will tell how well the injury heals and if there is any permanent damage to the skin, muscles, nerves and other surrounding soft tissue. "
</TD><TD>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mofome

Banned

well this is exactly where i was working today:

Habitat

Recluse spiders build irregular webs that frequently include a shelter consisting of disorderly threads. These spiders frequently build their webs in woodpiles and sheds, closets, beds, garages, plenum, cellars and other places that are dry and generally undisturbed. They seem to favor cardboard when dwelling in human residences, possibly because it mimics the rotting tree bark which they inhabit naturally. They also have been encountered in shoes, inside dressers, in bed sheets of infrequently used beds, in stacks or piles of clothes, behind baseboards and pictures, and near sources of warmth when ambient temperatures are lower than usual. Human-recluse contact often is when such isolated spaces are disturbed and the spider feels threatened. Unlike most web weavers, they leave these webs at night to hunt. Males will move around more when hunting, while the female spiders tend to remain nearer to their webs.

mofome

Banned

The brown recluse spider is found mainly in the central Midwestern states southward to the Gulf of Mexico (see map). Isolated cases in Ohio are likely attributable to this spider occasionally being transported in materials from other states. Although uncommon, there are more confirmed reports of Loxosceles rufescens (Mediterranean recluse) than the brown recluse in Ohio. It, too, is a human-associated species with similar habits and probably similar venom risks (unverified).

thats not md/dc area

:houra

mofome

Banned

this is good news.

Bites may vary in severity from no symptoms at all to very severe reactions such as renal (kidney) failure and ultimatively death<sup>1</sup>. Unfortunately there's currently (2008) no effective therapy for brown recluse bites <sup>2</sup>.

JD_

EOG Veteran

I hate spiders. I hope you get better. Sometimes things like that are not to be taken lightly. I had a bite on the back of my neck one year, and it didn't seem like much at first, but got infected pretty bad. Wasn't a brown recluse though. I think they ended up giving me the same antibiotic that they gave anthrax victims at the time.

Take care of yourself.

JD

mofome

Banned

i wasnt so worried, but now im going to have nightmares.

easter weekend down the tubes

I have seen way too many people get fuucked up over spider bites.

Mo, that thing needs a shot..Seriously...

2 people I know had to get surgery on them. Infections are nasty.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

no insurance here.

:+excited-

went to a little clinic up the street and they told me it was likely a spider bite. thats all though.

So sad u don't have insurance Mo. I just got it a few months back and the stress of having it seems more than when i didn't. Fighting every bill with these fukers and now basically pricing me out of it again. Stay healthy bro. I bet if u got it they would say u were obese also and ur rates would be sky high. They don't want to hear anything about muscle. Those BMI charts are such a joke. I think they want a 5 ft ten guy to weigh 165 pounds. I don't think i could get to 165 even with cancer.

938four

EOG Dedicated

re: no insurance, this may help, good luck

<!-- ======== --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> news01(); </SCRIPT><!-----------------------------------------------------------------------><!----------------------------------------------------------------------->Treating a Brown Recluse Spider Bite

<!-----------------------------------------------------------------------><!----------------------------------------------------------------------->

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="85%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD background=../images/YGreen.jpg>
Introduction

First of all, let us look at a couple of quotes about what a brown recluse spider bite actually looks like:
  • "Brown Recluse bites are sharp but not initially painful like those of the Black Widow, but a small, white blister is quickly raised, broken, and surrounded by a red welt. An hour or more may pass; then there may be intense pain. The depressed center of this raised, red circle (the size of a dime to a quarter) turns dark within a day. The dead tissue regularly sloughs away, and the bite area scars over in one to eight weeks. Death seldom occurs, but the bite is debilitating and psychologically traumatic. Note: A bite from a brown recluse may also produce an intensely sore lump, even several weeks after the initial injury."
    http://www.thebestcontrol.com/lice-chapter/Chapter16.pdf
Here is another one:
  • "The severity of a person's reaction to the bite (from brown recluse) depends on the amount of venom injected and individual sensitivity to it. Bite effects may be nothing at all, immediate or delayed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours, whereas others feel a stinging sensation usually followed by intense pain if there is a severe reaction. A small white blister usually rises at the bite site surrounded by a large congested swollen area. Within 24-36 hours, a systemic reaction may occur with the victim characterized by restlessness, fever, chills, nausea, weakness and joint pain. The affected area enlarges, becomes inflamed, and the tissue is hard to touch. The spider's venom contains an enzyme that destroys cell membranes in the wound area with affected tissue gradually sloughing away, exposing underlying tissues. Within 24 hours, the bite site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue)."
    Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet on entomology
The danger of a brown recluse spider bite is also dependent on where the bite occurs. It is most dangerous when the bite is near an important part of the body, such as on the head, just above a vital organ or near a joint.
The first thing to understand is that the damage done by a brown recluse spider bite is done by chemical reactions (i.e. involving enzymes). The venom literally liquefies human issue. Thus, the most damage is usually not done by bacteria or virus.
If you go to a doctor, he or she will probably give you antibiotics. While this is recommended because infection will almost always be present in the spider bite, the treatment is worthless at stopping the spreading of the chemical reaction and it will not stop any possible gangrene, which was mentioned above.
Ascended Health Treatment For Brown Recluse Spider Bites

One vendor which has a protocol specific to brown recluse spider bites is Ascended Health. This product may be the best on the market.
This natural cure for the brown recluse bite is a combination of essential oils of oregano, clove, Melissa, rosemary, rose otto, bentonite clays and electrical current.
Testimonials for this treatment can be found on this website:
Testimonials
This is the main brown recluse page on their website:
Ascended Health Treatment
If you live in an area where there are known brown recluse spiders it might be wise to order this product and keep it refrigerated.
Basil Oil and Lavender Oil

The information about basil oil I am about to give came from a speech by actor Clint Walker.
The treatment for a brown recluse spider bite is to take the essential oil basil, or the basil plant oils, and administer it BOTH internally (as a tea) and externally.
Step One: Clean the wound, and put basil oil on the bite area (or oil from the basil plant itself) and tape a cotton pad over the wound. Change this pad 3 or 4 times a day.
Step Two: Several times a day make a basil tea and drink it. Again, either basil oil or the oil from a basil plant can be used to make the tea.
If you live in an area where there are brown recluse spiders, you might want to put a container of basil oil in your refrigerator. This way if you do notice a brown recluse spider bite, or what might be a bite, you can take immediate action. Another option, of course, is to grow the plant in your home.
As mentioned above, as part of the spider bite it is possible gangrene will be present. The essential oil generally used for gangrene is Lavender Oil:
  • "Dr. Gattefoss? gave the research to Dr. John Valnet who was a medical doctor in Paris, France. Valnet did nothing with it until the post war years (World War II) when he was working with war victims from shrapnel wounds and losing them to gangrene because the antibiotics wouldn't work. Dr. Gattefoss? sent him some [lavender] oils and said "try the oils". He started using the oils and he saved every single patient."
    http://www.worlddirect.net/misslink/therapy.htm
The recommended vendor for this treatment is Young Living. Their essential oils are theraputic grade, not perfume grade. Two long time friends of mine, Eric and Carol Webster, who are also into alternative medicine, are vendors for Young Living. They can be reached at:
https://www.youngliving.org/websterhealth
I would mix the external use oils like this: 2 drops of lavender oil to 4 drops of basil oil. I have no basis for this formula other than the fact that the lavender oil is mainly for gangrene prevention, thus it is slightly less important than the basil oil. If you think a different ratio would work better, by all means use it. If gangrene does start to appear, then obviously use a lot more lavender oil, then see a medical doctor.
You might be wise to use a combination of the above two treatments.
Noni Juice

Another possible major treatment for brown recluse spider bites is Tahitian Noni Juice. While there are many brands of Noni Juice, my expertise in cancer research has led me to recommend only the Tahitian brand by Morinda.
Like basil oil, Tahitian Noni Juice can be taken internally and can be applied directly to the wound. Since you cannot store Noni Juice, I would suggest that as soon as you suspect a person has been bitten by a brown recluse spider that you apply the basil oil treatment or the Ascended Health treatment and then order several bottles of Tahitian Noni Juice (remember, this spider bite can do many thousands of dollars in damages, so spending a couple of hundred dollars for Noni Juice is a bargain).
After I got the Noni Juice, this is what I would do. First, I would drink at least a fourth of a bottle a day. Then, whenever I changed the bandage, before I would put on the new bandage, I would put on a Noni Juice bandage for 20 minutes. In other words:
1) Put on a basil oil and/or Ascended Health bandage,
2) Take if off as part of changing the bandage 3 or 4 times a day,
3) Before putting on a new bandage, put on a Noni Juice bandage, but only for 20 minutes,
4) After 20 minutes, remove the Noni Juice bandage and put on a new basil oil or Ascended Health bandage until the next changing. Other Items

Other items that I have seen mentioned with regards to brown recluse spider bites are: MSM (internally and externally), high dose vitamin C (internally and externally), charcoal compresses (external only) and plantain poultices (external only several times a day for 20 minutes at a time). I have also seen mention of colloidal silver, however, since the problem with a brown recluse spider bite is chemical, and because colloidal silver works because of electrical issues (e.g. it does work on skin cancer), I have not yet convinced myself how this could work on spider bites.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

munson15

I want winners...

yikes, my entire hand is black and blue. looks like a bruise, but its numb.

:shoot:
Got one while sleeping a few years back. Nasty, but a little medication and a couple of days later the effects were gone. GL.:cheers

Mo,Isn't there some sort of a clinic near you that will see you for maybe $50-100, and give you whatever medicine is needed to cure this bite ?

When you have no insurance, you just have to pay the doctor out of pocket, it's not like this is thousands for surgery.

Those photos look scary.

Integrity

EOG Master

dang mo, hope you get feeling better bud

wish i knew had a good tip or two for you

mofome

Banned

I have seen way too many people get fuucked up over spider bites.

Mo, that thing needs a shot..Seriously...

2 people I know had to get surgery on them. Infections are nasty.

it doesnt seem any worse today, the numbness is there, but more in a couple finger tips. its still blue though. looks more like a bruise than a bite, but its not worse which im pleased about.

mofome

Banned

938, i never saw any red and have yet to have any intense pain, so im thinking its not that brown spider. i fucking hope not. i couldnt sleep last night after seeing those pictures a few posts up.

mofome

Banned

Mo,Isn't there some sort of a clinic near you that will see you for maybe $50-100, and give you whatever medicine is needed to cure this bite ?

When you have no insurance, you just have to pay the doctor out of pocket, it's not like this is thousands for surgery.

Those photos look scary.

yeah ive been up there 3 times in the last 10 days for different things. including this. they didnt say they could do anything about this, they just said its probably a spider bite and sent me on my way. 100 bucks for that. the other two times i got some meds for another 65 bucks.

The X

EOG Dedicated

Soak it in hot water and epsom salt.It's only like $3.It will help sooth it and it helps draw out the bad shit in there.:thumbsup