Poker players - Did I #@%& this hand up?

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated
2-5 NLHE. I buy in for $400 and when this hand comes up I have around $550 in front of me. I'm in the cutoff with KQ of diamonds. One call, I raise to $15, which is my standard raise. button calls, and original caller also calls. Flop comes K clubs Q spades and 5 diamonds. I've got top two and a backdoor flush draw. Check to me, I bet $35. Button raises to $100, original caller folds, I shove my entire stack. He insta calls sith two black aces. Turn is the 8 of diamonds, and the river is the 5 of hearts. He had 7 outs to beat me, and of course he did.

My friend Chris, who actually has a bracelet from 2006 and was playing at the table says I overplayed my hand. I thought I played it perfectly. Thoughts?

I'll check for thoughts in the morning.

The Blueprint

EOG Dedicated
Re: Poker players - Did I #@%& this hand up?

as a side note, 2/5 is one of the most underrated games. they can get big real fast. I've played 5-10 and 10-25 live, they actually play kinda small, but for some reason everytime I play 2-5 it gets big. $15 raise is interesting, I always get stuck calling 20-25 preflop and that's the norm

I mean really what else can you do? The guy got lucky on you and you got your money in there with a better hand without a whole lot of outs for him. What more can you ask for?

Played it the same way i would have, and it sounds like you have the same kind of luck as me.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

You played it well. There's nothing you could really do there to get away from it. Fold top two pair? No. And the guy was never going to fold Aces either.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

The guy with the Aces played it badly by ONLY calling your raise with Aces pre-flop. WTF?

He didn't even try to isolate you. So now he has two people in the pot who can crack his aces and it almost backfired on him, too.

The Devil

EOG Master

have to play him for a-a, a-k or 5-5....I can't see him having q-q or k-k...I toss my stack in also to call.........but I am also a better 5 card or 6 card holdem player as the river usually isn't my card......

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughts. in my mind he had AA, AK or 55. I was really only worried about 55, but decided that if he had that I was paying him off. I would play it the sqme way again, so I'm glad to read your thoughts.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

have to play him for a-a, a-k or 5-5....I can't see him having q-q or k-k...I toss my stack in also to call.........but I am also a better 5 card or 6 card holdem player as the river usually isn't my card......

A-K and 5-5 were definitely possibilities.

I just don't see how the player didn't re-raise Palmer's bet with Aces. It wasn't only the two of them in the pot so that "trapping" bullshit gets riskier there. And the idiot would've lost if the board hadn't paired on the river.

Oh well. In the end he got all the chips so I guess that's what matter. :hangt

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

its fixed!

people with weaker hands and who have more money then the stronger

hands always lose on the river and yet it happened to you!

yo went all in with all your money he called he had eaker hand

and he won on ther river wow thats sick!

cheapseats

EOG Master

I agree with your friend, and I have no jewerly at all, either. When he raised, you knew he likely had something decent from seeing his past play at the table or you had the feeling he was on a bluff. But either way, shoving with what you expected he had did not give you any advantage on the draw, % wise, so to shove was riskier than a call of the 100 if you liked your hand that much.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

It would've gone all in in the pot eventually. The guy wasn't going to fold Aces and Palmer would've added the flush draw on the turn. No way he folds at that point. I think it would've turned out the same. It's just one of those hands and he happened to be on the losing side this time.

cheapseats

EOG Master

It would've gone all in in the pot eventually. The guy wasn't going to fold Aces and Palmer would've added the flush draw on the turn. No way he folds at that point. I think it would've turned out the same. It's just one of those hands and he happened to be on the losing side this time.

True, but why risk going broke when you could just as easily go to 6th street and see what the betting exchange is at that point. Then, with the 8d you can decide, even could have check-raised as an agreesive player.

The Blueprint

EOG Dedicated

6th street? if I got to make 6th streets name I would call it The Apollo

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

2-5 NLHE. I buy in for $400 and when this hand comes up I have around $550 in front of me. I'm in the cutoff with KQ of diamonds. One call, I raise to $15, which is my standard raise. button calls, and original caller also calls. Flop comes K clubs Q spades and 5 diamonds. I've got top two and a backdoor flush draw. Check to me, I bet $35. Button raises to $100, original caller folds, I shove my entire stack. He insta calls sith two black aces. Turn is the 8 of diamonds, and the river is the 5 of hearts. He had 7 outs to beat me, and of course he did.

My friend Chris, who actually has a bracelet from 2006 and was playing at the table says I overplayed my hand. I thought I played it perfectly. Thoughts?

You over shoved the pot for sure, but you got it in best so tough to be mad.

True, but why risk going broke when you could just as easily go to 6th street and see what the betting exchange is at that point. Then, with the 8d you can decide, even could have check-raised as an agreesive player.

Top two isn't really an all-in hand on the turn, but it can be on the flop so might as well do it to protect your hand. You can't really raise anything less than all-in, raising to $200 looks stupid and gives too good of odds to call and anything more than that and you have too little to matter still in your stack. To do anything but raise out of position is crazy. If you call his raise on the flop you probably aren't going to bet out on the turn and he very well could check behind and you'd feel terrible for not making him pay.

Jeff Haney

EOG Addicted

You could say the button overplayed his hand, getting most of the money in with a single naked pair, and via a call no less (no fold equity).

lol

Timetopay

EOG Master

<TABLE id=post2799633 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid" class=thead> 04-03-10, 12:41 AM </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #25 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>dustdevil<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2799633", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Dedicated

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid" id=td_post_2799633 class=alt1> Re: Poker players - Did I #@%& this hand up?
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Agent 0659
lol
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
lol
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid" class=alt2> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
lol

cedar

EOG Member

agree with haney the aces got married to them...you see it every day...but got lucky on you...sounds like you were going to get the money in anyway...its just poker...2/5 in vegas at the main card rooms is the toughest game in town because it fits most pros bankroll so thats what they play...i know im one of them...

agree with haney the aces got married to them...you see it every day...but got lucky on you...sounds like you were going to get the money in anyway...its just poker...2/5 in vegas at the main card rooms is the toughest game in town because it fits most pros bankroll so thats what they play...i know im one of them...

5/10 is much tougher IMO. The 2/5 game is easy to just buy in small and wait for a hand. Yeah there are a lot of wannabe pros and I can beat them eventually just waiting for them to be over aggressive with a hand. I just love how I raise to 15 preflop and they come over the top with anything thinking they can run a tight player off. I end up getting all in with KK and they call with Q9 off because my small stack makes them pot committed. Funny how I can't do that so easily in 5/10.

The point of this thread was to whine about your bad beat, not wonder if you played the hand right. WTF do you think someone is going to tell you that you should have folded top 2? All you are worried about is bottom set and if he has that so be it.

I wouldn't have shoved there but the $$$ was going in as it turns out anyway. He had exactly what you what him to have. He played it slick and he almost got what he deserved but the deck rescued him. Welcome to Texas Hold em. He probably thought you were a donk and had AK, happens all the time.

Now, quit yer fucking whining......

5/10 is much tougher IMO. The 2/5 game is easy to just buy in small and wait for a hand. Yeah there are a lot of wannabe pros and I can beat them eventually just waiting for them to be over aggressive with a hand. I just love how I raise to 15 preflop and they come over the top with anything thinking they can run a tight player off. I end up getting all in with KK and they call with Q9 off because my small stack makes them pot committed. Funny how I can't do that so easily in 5/10.

Ah, one of those guys that buys in for the minimum and hits and runs. Real cool.

cedar

EOG Member

wildbill...we obviously dont play in the same games...how many times do you get those pocket kings and then get action like you discribed? sure 5/10 is tough but the real problem is game selection ...that is why smart pros prey on 2/5....just sayin...

Jeff Haney

EOG Addicted

Getting away from the original topic, but my standard first-in raise in 1-3 NL is $10.

I find that's lower than average in most games.

My standard first-in raise in 2-5 NL is $20.

Even that's on the low side in many games, where $25 is very common.

wildbill...we obviously dont play in the same games...how many times do you get those pocket kings and then get action like you discribed? sure 5/10 is tough but the real problem is game selection ...that is why smart pros prey on 2/5....just sayin...

Plenty of action because I rarely play outside of good hours Thur-Sat. Also try to play 2-5 at places with bigger games like Venetian or Bellagio. When 2-5 is the biggest game it can be rather tough, but still rewards tighter play. I am not only waiting for top 5 hands, I play other hands as well.

You sure did overplay that hand.

Once he went over the top with 2 remaining he was strong. All in was not the move.

trips were in play, flush draw...

Jam, the only one with the flush draw was palmtree. The only thing that has him beat there is 55 qq or kk. qq and kk are highly unlikely because of no re raise pre flop. The 5s are realistic, but its tough to lay down top two and if he just calls the raise to $100 he is pot committed especially wtih another diamond coming on the turn.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

LOL! Jam- stick to college basketball. jk :mutley

And yeah, very tough to lay down top two! It's just one of those hands you have to take in stride. Easier said than done but full-time poker players have to deal with them all the time. Palmer was just on the wrong end this time.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Thanks for all of the analysis guys. It really is helpful to me to read what others think. I'm still learning NLHE and it really bothered me when Chris said I overplayed the hand. But after reading some of the responses, I think I have a better understanding of what he meant.

cedar

EOG Member

im currently playing in the deep stack at the venetian so i had a chance to run this by several top pros just for fun...the conclusion was no matter what you did the aa was going to dictate the action which was going to get all the money in...and he was wrong to do that but like i said in my first post he was married to them...he gave that away with the insta call...he didnt even pause to think...lets say you had called his $65 raise making the pot $250 and then checked the turn...what does he do...check behind you or make a bet of say $150 if he thinks he has the best hand...now say you just call and the pot is $550...when the river pairs the board i guarantee he puts the rest in with aa up and you would call because the pot is now $800 and you cant let it go for the small amout you have left...i know good players who would have played his hand a lot different and you could have saved at least half your stack...again that insta call was the clue...