Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

Any how many NBA titles has Sloans system won ? I forget ?
As I said before, quickly name me 1 time in which he had the best team in the NBA. When he had great teams, he had to play Jordan. That's certainly not his fault. That guy has accomplished so much in his career - regardless of players.

Re: Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

You could make an argument he had the best team every year from about 94-2000 the 2nd year they lost to the Bulls they had the same regular season record.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

You could make an argument he had the best team every year from about 94-2000 the 2nd year they lost to the Bulls they had the same regular season record.
Well you'd be wrong. The Cavs had a better regular season record last year so I guess they were better than the Lakers?

Well you'd be wrong. The Cavs had a better regular season record last year so I guess they were better than the Lakers?

OK who had the best team last year? How about the year before and the year before that?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Karl Malone with a brilliant interview on NBATV - if it gets on somewhere I suggest watching it. He didn't want to throw anyone under the bus with the news he knew, but he said "Teams need to learn to stop allowing the inmates to run the asylum" because when he played you respected your coach and never thought to do such things - strong words from a HOF'er who knows Sloan very well. Sloan was tough on him just like anyone else he said, and it made him great - he thinks it's a shame that players today don't want to be challenged. Some great points.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Karl Malone says he guarantees that Sloan didn't quit and either would Phil Johnson - something brutal happened behind the scenes he said.

He also just promised that Sloan will never coach in the NBA again.

Perfect Storm

EOG Enthusiast

Karl Malone says he guarantees that Sloan didn't quit and either would Phil Johnson - something brutal happened behind the scenes he said.

He also just promised that Sloan will never coach in the NBA again.

yeah I cant see Sloan coaching elsewhere

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I think Malone's points are valid, and alarming. Sloan challenged him more than any man in his life (his quote) and made him the great player he became. Could you imagine if Malone thought he was being too hard on him and made Sloan leave? Ego's are just too big now-a-days.

If Sloan doesn't coach anywhere else again, Phil Johnson is one of the best friends around. He basically just quit because his friend got screwed over, that's heart.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Damn... I'll see if I can find that interview... would love see it.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Damn... I'll see if I can find that interview... would love see it.
If you have NBATV, I'm sure they'll be replaying it on gametime in about 20 minutes. Otherwise, I'll look for it tomorrow as I'm sure it's going to draw some attention.

I guess Malone didn't interview with anyone before because he was angry and he said no one in the media knew what they were talking about.

Here's a little interview he did before the main one Kinger.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27490022

I'll let you know when it comes on again.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Malone's money quote: "I will say this: I know my coach. I know my coach. And I know my assistant coach. And I know all these coaches. The coach I know and the man I know have never quit or resigned in anything. That's what I want to say."

He said Sloan challenged him to a fight once in the huddle and said "I'll fight ya till I can see ya" haha.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Yes, I have NBATV... I'll tune into it now.

I was looking for it on Youtube, and started watching Karl Malone's HOF speech.

Around the 4:10 mark, he starts talking about why he's really there and why it was never about him. He thanked Jerry Sloan...

That's the difference between HOF acts like Stockton and Malone, and these young punks...

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

That interview on cbs is kind of similar Kinger if you want to watch that one. He is clearly hinting at players bullshit forcing coaches out.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Alright Kinger, I mislead you - it's about 20 minutes from now. I forgot about the Mike Conley interview.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

No problem. I'm recording it on my DVR. :cheers

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I'm glad they fuckin' lost tonight. I hope they stink the place up now.

Karl Malone is an asshole, Im glad hes out of the game .... You can guys can sit around and kiss his ass all you want ...
The guy is a known Choker ( as with Sloan )
Malone shot .516 in the regular season over his career ( amazing number ) However in 193 playoff games , he only shot .463 ( still good but WELL BELOW ) THAT IS a big DROP off l... Malone dissapears in the biggest games, and heres one of my favorite quotes about KARL ...

THE MAILMAN DON'T DELIVER ON SUNDAYS ( a reference to his chokeness )

soli

EOG Dedicated

Sloan is overrated and haven't won a damn thang. It's amazing how guys come in and try to make this fucker a superstar coach with no champiionships and he had Karl Malone and John Stockton on the same team for years.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

There were also guys named Bird, Magic and Jordan.

You think Sloan had been there all those years because he was a bad coach? A ring isn't everything.

Excuses are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
( no offense KR , just like using that line when I have the chance..)

Also I never said Sloan was bad, I asked how many rings he had won ( a rhetorical question ) and then I called him a choker. But to be a choker you have to be good in the first place to get to the spot to choke ... I respect him, he paid his dues to league. He's a sure fire first ballot Hall of a Famer.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Also I never said Sloan was bad, I asked how many rings he had won ( a rhetorical question ) and then I called him a choker. But to be a choker you have to be good in the first place to get to the spot to choke ... I respect him, he paid his dues to league. He's a sure fire first ballot Hall of a Famer.

Yeah, I was talking to Soli.

codypo

Banned

I would put all those scumbag, thugs on a bus and run them of a cliff. What the Fu*k happened to the word RESPECT. I don't care how many games sloan won, or championships he hasn't won. Take all these thugs from all sports and drive them over a cliff.

As I said before, quickly name me 1 time in which he had the best team in the NBA. When he had great teams, he had to play Jordan. That's certainly not his fault. That guy has accomplished so much in his career - regardless of players.

He had to play Jordan twice , he lost 14 other times , and he had the better team plenty of those against the teams who beat him ...I pulled this off another site, but its accurate and needs to be shown ...

'89 - swept in first round as #3 seed to a 43 win Warriors. Stockton and Malone didn't play well down the stretch. There was one game I've seen where Malone had like 35 points in the game, and then went scoreless in the fourth quarter.
'90 - Lose in first round again with HCA. Malone and Stockton play like trash. KJ destroys Stockton.
'91 - Malone plays like crap and they lose to Blazers.
'92 - Lose to Blazers (who were better team, but Stockton specifically could have played better)
'93 - Lose to Sonics in first round, play well below their standards again.
'94 - Lose to Rockets. Malone plays so poorly, Larry Miller ordered Sloan to take Malone off the floor.
'95 - They win 60 games and lose in the first round to the Rockets. Were up 2-1, had the do or die game at home, and still lost. Malone and Hornacek played really well in that game 5, Malone even made a three with like 10 seconds left iirc but Stockton sucked.
'96 - Lost to Sonics. Malone chokes at FT line in the game 7 and is completely rattled by the crowd counting down "10...9...8..7" etc.

codypo

Banned

This thread wasn't about what has sloan done. If a coach tells you we are going to run this system. Your answer should be OK COACH. I guess all you guys tell your bosses what your going to do.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Deron Williams is a typical, modern-day, new school, piece of shit. Listen to the fucking coach, asshole.

Well then Im making a new thread about HOW Sloan and Jazz were overated a bunch of underacheivers ... and you can come in an take his side there if you want.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Utah was a class organization with Sloan at the helm. The NBA needs more coaches like Jerry Sloan. I remember going to a Clippers game about ten years ago and Utah was in town. I watched the pregame warm-up and the Jazz came running out of the locker room with John Stockton leading the team, followed by Jeff Hornacek and the rest of the Utah players, in order of height. All players wore the same warm-up suit. The layup line was crisp and the drills were snappy. Utah was organized and professional. And then the Clippers entered the court...Yuk.

There were also guys named Bird, Magic and Jordan.

You think Sloan had been there all those years because he was a bad coach? A ring isn't everything.
:LMAO:LMAO How many times did Bird knock Utah out of the playoffs? Let me tell you Zero. How many times did Magic Zero.

Funny how everyone wants to make Sloan out to be this great coach win he never achieved greatness

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

:LMAO:LMAO How many times did Bird knock Utah out of the playoffs? Let me tell you Zero. How many times did Magic Zero.

Funny how everyone wants to make Sloan out to be this great coach win he never achieved greatness
I think maybe people just have a different definition of it than you - I am confident that while you probably know much more about football than I, there's a chance I know more about basketball. Basketball is one of the few sports in which the best team wins pretty much every season - there have been 1-2 situations where that wasn't the case but it's rare (the Heat over the Mavs is the last one that comes to mind). The Utah Jazz were never at that Superteam level. They had great regular seasons, and put themselves into a position to win it all, but they weren't built to do so until 96-97-98 and by that time Michael had come back and they had no chance.

Hakeem is a top 5 player of all-time IMO, and I think many would agree. If MJ doesn't retire, Hakeem has no rings but would that change his greatness? I don't think so. Look at all the great players, top 50 players all-time, that played in that era and didn't win shit. In the end, in the playoffs, the players decide the games and not the coaches. The coaches job is to motivate, garner trust, and put you in the playoffs where you have a chance to win.

If Michael stays retired, Malone and Hakeem both have rings - that's the point I'm making. As others have also pointed out, the players seemed to have bad series for the Jazz in the playoffs - which would certainly not be the fault of Jerry Sloan.

High Times

EOG Master

I think maybe people just have a different definition of it than you - I am confident that while you probably know much more about football than I, there's a chance I know more about basketball. Basketball is one of the few sports in which the best team wins pretty much every season - there have been 1-2 situations where that wasn't the case but it's rare (the Heat over the Mavs is the last one that comes to mind). The Utah Jazz were never at that Superteam level. They had great regular seasons, and put themselves into a position to win it all, but they weren't built to do so until 96-97-98 and by that time Michael had come back and they had no chance.

Hakeem is a top 5 player of all-time IMO, and I think many would agree. If MJ doesn't retire, Hakeem has no rings but would that change his greatness? I don't think so. Look at all the great players, top 50 players all-time, that played in that era and didn't win shit. In the end, in the playoffs, the players decide the games and not the coaches. The coaches job is to motivate, garner trust, and put you in the playoffs where you have a chance to win.

If Michael stays retired, Malone and Hakeem both have rings - that's the point I'm making. As others have also pointed out, the players seemed to have bad series for the Jazz in the playoffs - which would certainly not be the fault of Jerry Sloan.

Hakeen won 2 titles

Didn't he?

Well any way you slice it SLOAN is the only coach in NBA history with TWO of the NBAs top 50 players ( two top 25's nonetheless ) Who is RINGLESS , the only one. Meaning he had great players , two HOFs his entire career ... and never got to go to Parade in June ...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Back to back when Jordan was retired. Best Big Man I've personally ever seen - so gifted and skilled.

Hakeem Olajuwon deserved more love. I loved his game on both ends of the floor. David Robinson and Patrick Ewing were overrated.

High Times

EOG Master

Back to back when Jordan was retired. Best Big Man I've personally ever seen - so gifted and skilled.

And you never saw Wilt and Kareem.

It looks like there will never be anybody as good as those 2 players.. Never!

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

"I'm 26, Coach Sloan is 69. That's a big difference; different eras, different generations. There's bound to be something.

"I can't just go and have the same conversation with my grandma that I would have with my friend. It's nothing bad; it's just how it is, and I think Coach Corbin is younger and has kids our age, so I think that helps a little bit."

Williams continued to talk about Jazz new head coach Ty Corbin.

"I've been around Coach Corbin for six years. He's been an assistant under Jerry and he's got a lot of the same characteristics that coach Sloan did, because he's been here and under, you know, the same system. He's a little younger and can relate a little better to us as players."

Wow, let me translate that for you: "I can control Ty Corbin."