Point Shaving Charges for ex San Diego coach, players

Can I get a refund on my losses???? :btj:

SAN DIEGO -- Prosecutors have announced an indictment charging a former University of San Diego assistant basketball coach and two former players, including the school's all-time leader in scoring and assists, in an alleged conspiracy to affect the outcome of games.
Federal authorities say Monday that a federal grand jury handed up the indictments on April 8 against former assistant coach Thaddeus Brown, who coached at USD during the 2006-07 season.
Also charged are former players Brandon Johnson and Brandon Dowdy. Johnson, a guard for the Toreros from 2005 to 2010, finished with 1,790 points and 525 assists.
The indictment alleges that Johnson took a bribe to influence the result of a game in February 2010 and solicited someone else in January 2011 to affect the outcome of USD basketball games.
The indictment alleges that this February, Brown and Dowdy solicited someone to affect the outcome of a game at the University of California, Riverside.

newport2

EOG Dedicated
Re: Point Shaving Charges for ex San Diego coach, players

Thaddeus Brown used to be a customer of Railbird Sports.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The location doesn't surprise me at all.

Tijuana is a quick 20-minute drive from San Diego and Las Vegas is only a one-hour flight.

I understand you're only a click away from your next bet, but the proximity to legal sports wagering introduces the idea of betting and possibly fixing games to a large group of college-aged athletes.

I smelled something funny the past two seasons with Nevada football.

EasyGoer45

EOG Veteran

what a shocker :LMAO, I don't like playing Neveda games fishy outcomes and certain west coast teams seem particularly bad

The location doesn't surprise me at all.

Tijuana is a quick 20-minute drive from San Diego and Las Vegas is only a one-hour flight.

I understand you're only a click away from your next bet, but the proximity to legal sports wagering introduces the idea of betting and possibly fixing games to a large group of college-aged athletes.

I smelled something funny the past two seasons with Nevada football.

I will never forget that day they shut off the power of at the stadium agaisnt Wisconsin I was young and a dime was quit a large bet for me at the time. I remember getting in argument with my bookie 1st year betting with him he was an old timer his last line before he hung up on me was " fuck off vegas doesnt pay it we dont pay it". He sstill books a little of my action today usually just dogs when he needs the same side as me. Consider him a friend.

Herbie

EOG Addicted

I'm suprised we don't have more of these kind of stories although I guess it would be hard to prove depending on how the point shaving was done...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Here's the scary part: for every pointspread scandal uncovered, there must be many more that go undetected.

For handicapping purposes, however, I assume every game is clean. I'd go crazy otherwise.

railbird

EOG Master

Here's the scary part: for every pointspread scandal uncovered, there must be many more that go undetected.

For handicapping purposes, however, I assume every game is clean. I'd go crazy otherwise.

Tim Donagahy picked over 85% ats last yrs playoffs for a reason. Refs manipulate games on every level. Just like Judges manipulate court rooms, just like Ceo's manipulate stocks, teachers manipulate grades. Accountants manipulate tax forms. No such thing as integrity, maybe in the next world.

Tim Donagahy picked over 85% ats last yrs playoffs for a reason. Refs manipulate games on every level. Just like Judges manipulate court rooms, just like Ceo's manipulate stocks, teachers manipulate grades. Accountants manipulate tax forms. No such thing as integrity, maybe in the next world.

Where can we get his picks?

Aside from the proximity to Tijuana and LV, which John noted above, it's not surprising that it involved college basketball with an obscure school whose games may not have been televised. At least not televised widespread.

The subjectivity of the fouls called always will make basketball the easiest sport to fix. Especially because just a couple bad fouls at the end of the game can alter a team covering/not covering. Even a crooked umpire would need to cause enough damage that runs were scored...not exactly the easiest to do stealthily, and oftentimes not even enough to fix the game.

For every scandal uncovered...there are probably 100 that go COVERED UP. 2348ji23e

focker

EOG Veteran

Local radio reporting they were dealing weed also

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Local radio reporting they were dealing weed also

Thanks focker.

For what we do, I want these guys punished to the full extent of the law.

Donaghy got off easy.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Doesn't shock me in the least, but further justifies my reason for hating college hoops.

Please, people, if I'm still around come next basketball season, start a half-dozen threads for me saying "DON'T BET ON NCAA HOOPS". I'll save thousands and appreciate you all for it.

This is the sort of stuff that occurs when you don't have rich alumnus to pay your players.

The 10 people are charged with conspiracy to commit sports bribery,
conduct an illegal gambling business and distribute marijuana.
If convicted, they each face up to five years in prison and $250,000 fines.

Add this to the previous weeks allegations of players being paid and the NCAA is having an ulcer.

Let me say this. If anyone does not see how easy it is to "shave" points in basketball, ANY type of basketball, then they are blind. This goes on all of the time. If you have Team B -15 points, and all of a sudden team B cannot hit a free throw and wins by 14, no one cares, exccept the poor people who gave 15. Considering how basketball scores in 1, 2, and 3 point incriments, and normally there are between 100-175 points per game scored between both teams in the college ranks, you can obviously see how easy this is to do. It works in reverse also. Who cares if a 15 point dog loses by 16? Only the people who took the dog and the 15 points.

Football is more difficult, because they do not score nearly as many points as they do in hoops, and each score is basically worth 3 or 6 points, plus the PAT conversions after a T.D. In Football, you basically have to lose the game if you are the favorite, and lose big time if you are the dog. You cannot just shave a few points here and there. It is easy to "shave" points in hoops, but much more difficult to do that in football. This is why basketball is such a huge risk to wager on. On top of everything else the books throw at you, you have to be on guard against point shaving either way.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I will never forget that day they shut off the power of at the stadium agaisnt Wisconsin I was young and a dime was quit a large bet for me at the time. I remember getting in argument with my bookie 1st year betting with him he was an old timer his last line before he hung up on me was " fuck off vegas doesnt pay it we dont pay it". He sstill books a little of my action today usually just dogs when he needs the same side as me. Consider him a friend.

I had Wiscy big in that game and was DEVASTATED at the time. I had a horrible day and that was the icing on the cake and a large bet. Never saw it coming as I thought I was bailed out at the time up comfortably.

railbird

EOG Master

The Weed dealers were the mastermind behind it, not Brandon Johnson. Andy Katz is very close to Grier so is protecting him.