Percentage of Pro Athletes who Bet Sports....

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Re: Percentage of Pro Athletes who Bet Sports....

I think the 50% number is far too high. Drugs and even murder can be covered up, but betting on sports is cardinal sin #1.

My agent books for a number of the yankees, phillies, mets and nationals. Most bet via their blackberries to a website.
Of the 4 teams mentioned above, at least 13 players bet thru him.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Look, the clubhouse guy for the Mets did it, but 50% is too high. Get caught and it's not worth it.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I am saying that there is a high percentage of athletes who bet other sports than the one they participate in...like golfers betting football and NBA guys betting baseball and other major sports...

cassiusclay

EOG Master

My agent books for a number of the yankees, phillies, mets and nationals. Most bet via their blackberries to a website.
Of the 4 teams mentioned above, at least 13 players bet thru him.

1 of the quickest ways to get pinched tied with drugs.

The 50% number seems high to me, too. I would have guessed 20%.

My question is: how much money are these guys betting per wager on average? Five figures, no?

Heim

EOG Master

I remember a few years back I was sitting next to Dr. Tom Davis (former bb coach at Iowa and a few others) at SP. He had finally retired. He was at a table with a few cronies to watch an Iowa football game against Michigan. Do you think he had zero action on the game? If you said yes then you also think ppl watch horse races for fun. All these guys bet. However, they're the biggest hypocrites in front of a camera.

PS. Davis and his crew were betting the horses with both
pockets as well.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I put the number at 75% who gamble....
I put the number at 50% who actually bet sports...

oij213490

dead on. the nba players will bet on anything. nfl players......does dog fighting count as a sport?

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

I'd guess 85% gamble on something or another. They all make it out to Vegas at some point.

As for betting on sports...yeah I'd say 50-60%. NBA players and European golfers probably about 90%+.

railbird

EOG Master

I dont think too many people bet baseball, except baseball players.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

before the computer age i knew one player who had his best friend/neighbor call bets in for him

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

I feel certain Pete Rose never never never never never bet his team to lose.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I knew a ballplayer that bet on baseball and my friend suggested we make a sign to bring to the game with his account number on it....we just laughed about it and never went through with the idea....

Pro Athletes are the worst payers.

Paul loduca was a horrible bettor. Mickelson stories of stiffing are well known. Rose stiffed many also. Allen Watson is a big time degenerate. I could name a bunch more that I know 100% fact. The competitive nature makes it natural for them to be gamblers also.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

A lot of them love to gamble after retirement. They need something to get that adrenaline fix.

That's why we see guys like Antoine Walker...

pvcpipe

EOG Master

A lot of them love to gamble after retirement. They need something to get that adrenaline fix.

That's why we see guys like Antoine Walker...

I was in Atlantis a couple years back during the NBA players meeting there. You've never seen so many guys wearing Rolex Presidentials doubling down on 12.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

I think you are way off base. 50% of athletes betting sports? There is little to no financial incentive for them to do so. Also, they have so many things at their disposal to do with their free time that I doubt they need to do it for "excitement." Another reason is that many realize that (stupidly and unfairly) this might hurt their reputation. I'd be shocked if it were as high as even 7 or 8%.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I think you are way off base. 50% of athletes betting sports? There is little to no financial incentive for them to do so. Also, they have so many things at their disposal to do with their free time that I doubt they need to do it for "excitement." Another thing is that many realize that (stupidly and unfairly) this might hurt their reputation. I'd be shocked if it were as high as even 7 or 8%.

You might have a point about the 50% figure, but it's definitely much higher than 8%, IMO

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Hey King, do you have an opinion on Venus v. Hantuchova? Venus mowed down Ivanovic. I couldn't believe how easily she did it. Is Hantu the same type of player? She has the same body as Ana I think. Long and slender.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Hey King, do you have an opinion on Venus v. Hantuchova? Venus mowed down Ivanovic. I couldn't believe how easily she did it. Is Hantu the same type of player? She has the same body as Ana I think. Long and slender.

Sorry, Chessman. I didn't see your post last night. But that's irrelevant since I'm not really a WTA bettor, so I wouldn't have been able to give you any good info on that match.

Hopefully you were on the right side, and won some money today. GL come Wimbledon.

railbird

EOG Master

Money Mayweather sends it in almost every night, probably puts in 2 Million a month in action.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran

above 75% for gambling period. especially if you count playing cards for $ in the clubhouses, on planes ect.

although alot of teams have banned that.

below 25% bet on sports more than a few times a year. as in, maybe they bet the super bowl, a big boxing match, and some horses

I8Ahorse

EOG Addicted

About half bet on either sports/tables/cards. They also enjoy betting each other. Things come easy for athletes.

We all know the saying, easy come, easy go.

CY18

EOG Enthusiast

Pro Athletes are the worst payers.

Paul loduca was a horrible bettor. Mickelson stories of stiffing are well known. Rose stiffed many also. Allen Watson is a big time degenerate. I could name a bunch more that I know 100% fact. The competitive nature makes it natural for them to be gamblers also.

Speaking of Watson:

EddieRomanWins.com