What Laws do you Disagree with?

Re: What Laws do you Disagree with?

Still you are going to have lets say some 30 year old with a perfect record.....something goes wrong, ( maybe the person starts sending text messages while driving ? ) an accident happens, some kid winds up wheelchair bound for life and needing millions in care. Who Pays for that ?

Insurance companies would pay for that kind of an accident...just as they do now...except the govt. would be involved as well with social security payments to those that cause accidents reduced accordingly. Let's put the hurt on the people causing the hurt...good drivers that never cause a problem should be rewarded.

If you have the minimum required coverage ( 100k, 300k, whatever it is), isn't that all your insurance company is liable for ?

Say I have 300k of coverage, and I cause some $10 million accident, the Hartford pays out 300k, then they go after me personally for the rest, I don't have it. I think the Hartford is done here and the taxpayers pick up the medical bills and so forth for the gravely injured parties, then they get SS for the rest of their lives. I'm not saying that is wrong, the injured here need help for life.

Now, if I were worth $20 million , I'd be crazy to not have millions in liability insurance.....

I don't think many people self-insure themselves, that seems a technicality. I think gov't can self insure effectively. I can see Los Angeles not sending checks to Geico, just deal with shit as it happens, judges not likely to award excessive amounts, etc.

Those minimum amounts will cover 99% + of cases.

Insurance companies would pay for that kind of an accident...just as they do now...except the govt. would be involved as well with social security payments to those that cause accidents reduced accordingly. Let's put the hurt on the people causing the hurt...good drivers that never cause a problem should be rewarded.

I think you over-estimate the importance of SS to most people. I'm 47 and I don't count on that being there, if I somehow live long enough to collect it, and the USA even exists in this format, then ?

I think you over-estimate the importance of SS to most people. I'm 47 and I don't count on that being there, if I somehow live long enough to collect it, and the USA even exists in this format, then ?

Doug, I'm basing my idea somewhat on my own experience. I had an accident free driving record and over ten years without a ticket yet two years in a row the Hartford decided to increase my premium. Probably because I lived in Nevada and was getting old. There may be some flaws in the plan as outlined but the idea of eliminating the ins. premium for drivers with a ten year good driving record would in this economy make the great majority of us better and safer drivers. The incentive to save money would be a major factor in greatly reducing accidents and saving lives. Even crime rates would drop as a direct result of such a plan as fewer people breaking laws on the highways would mean law enforcement could concentrate on more important matters such as catching criminals.

I've been with the Hartford for probably close to 15 years now. I'm 100 % clean for the last 7.5 years. They tried to raise me last year, I balked and they rescinded the increase. I think you can negoitiate, esp. if you are a long-time patron of whatever company.

I've been with the Hartford for probably close to 15 years now. I'm 100 % clean for the last 7.5 years. They tried to raise me last year, I balked and they rescinded the increase. I think you can negoitiate, esp. if you are a long-time patron of whatever company.

Doug, glad to hear the Hartford did the smart thing with you. I did try to negotiate with them but they were having none of it. Living in Las Vegas a huge negative when it comes to auto insurance and so many druggies on the road. Sad to see anyone die but have no sympathy for Ryan Dunn who chose to drink and drive and lost his life along with that of his passenger's. These are the lamebrains that should be paying huge premiums for insurance. 52 years on the road with no accidents and never turned in a claim and they thought it necessary to increase my premiums two years in a row.

ATX

BTW,

Let me know if you want to do a contest

you do realize that in a sports betting contest, it's fashionable to post the picks before the games actually start?

just making sure because the scripture also says that gambling is wrong.

of course, past posting isn't really gambling now is it? amen.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

No way in hell will IT do a contest where he has to make selections-- for money -- that is.

For what it's worth, I had a 5k offer for Journeyman in bases that wasn't accepted. But you're right, wasting time in coin flipping contests isn't in my best interest. Out of curiosity rail, what are the terms? How about economic forecasts, you with the scripture and me with economics.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Seat belt law- You can promote the safety benefits but the individual
should be able to decide for themselves. Only exception would be children. They are too young to decide for themselves.

Motorcycle helmet law It's a motorcycle. Once you decide to ride safety goes out the window.2348ji23e

I recall reading a study that said helmets actually gave a false sense of security, and the number of injuries were higher because of it.

I highly recommend the book The Ten Things You Can't Say In America by Larry Elder.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

For what it's worth, I had a 5k offer for Journeyman in bases that wasn't accepted. But you're right, wasting time in coin flipping contests isn't in my best interest. Out of curiosity rail, what are the terms? How about economic forecasts, you with the scripture and me with economics.

IT, you're a good dude, but just stop. The offer was put out there because you knew broke-ass Journeyman wasn't going to accept it.